Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does Evo suppose to shut off when you remove key?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsidrift1
The turbo on the evo is watercooled as well, right? (excuse my newb question, but I havnt had the pleasure of diggin far into my eo yet! )

But if the turbo is watercooled as well, a turbo timer is not necessary, IMO. I only ran one when I had my 1g running on a oil cooled only turbo.
Its always best to let ur turbo cool down and warm up before and after a good drive
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

turbo timer has nothing to do with the cool down, it allows for the oil to drain from the turbo so the journals dont go bad. If oil sits in the turbo it will create smudge and through off the shaft balance which means disaster.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boost_Inspired
i never understood why ppl leave their cars in gear, unless your on a really steep incline.
Yeah my buddy left his car in gear and someone rear-ended it and it messed up the tranny real bad... the car itself didn't take much damage from the impact
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erald01
turbo timer has nothing to do with the cool down, it allows for the oil to drain from the turbo so the journals dont go bad. If oil sits in the turbo it will create smudge and through off the shaft balance which means disaster.
It does in a way help with cool down. your not making the turbo hotter by runnin boost. you are letting it continue to pump oil through so it cools down and does not cause the oil to sear and cause build up... so it does have something to do with it as oil cools the majority of the car.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by erald01
WTF, are you serious? It has everything with cooling down and it is not to allow oil to drain from the journals. If that happened, you turbo would be shot. In a non BB turbo, the oil is the only thing keeping the surfaces from making contact. It's called sludge, not smudge.

I have a TT installed, but I use it maybe 3 times a year for when I'm in a hurry and have to exit the car after driving at mid range engine speeds (3k+). Even cruising at interstate speeds, closed loop, is lean enough to get the manifold, turbo glowing red.

I live about 1 min from the interstate and I can exit , drive to my house, reasonable and prudent, pop the hood in my driveway at night and see the manifold and turbo glowing red.

Coking impedes the oil flow to the bearing/bushing and that's where your problem is created.

Excessive center cartridge temps, oil that's not suitable for high temps, wide multi-viscosity range oil and excessive oil change intervals all contribute to coking.

Last edited by EVO8emUp; Apr 16, 2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
WTF, are you serious? It has everything with cooling down and it is not to allow oil to drain from the journals. If that happened, you turbo would be shot. In a non BB turbo, the oil is the only thing keeping the surfaces from making contact. It's called sludge, not smudge.

I have a TT installed, but I use it maybe 3 times a year for when I'm in a hurry and have to exit the car after driving at mid range engine speeds (3k+). Even cruising at interstate speeds, closed loop, is lean enough to get the manifold, turbo glowing red.

I live about 1 min from the interstate and I can exit , drive to my house, reasonable and prudent, pop the hood in my driveway at night and see the manifold and turbo glowing red.

Coking impedes the oil flow to the bearing/bushing and that's where your problem is created.

Excessive center cartridge temps, oil that's not suitable for high temps, wide multi-viscosity range oil and excessive oil change intervals all contribute to coking.
thank you lol i was tryin not to be rude.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

I really, really try not to be rude, but some of the misinformation I read on here is ludicrous.
erald01, please don't take offense. It was a late night.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:53 PM

i never understood why ppl leave their cars in gear, unless your on a really steep incline.
the fact that the transmission is connected to the engine means that it can't turn while the engine is off. First gear is the best gear to do this in because higher gears could let the car move a bit if the engine turns just a tiny bit - first gear creates the greatest resistance.
You may also ask why you need the parking brake as well? If you ever watched the Tom Cruise movie Risky Business, you'll know. Yes, in spite of all I've said above, it is possible to knock the lever out of first and into neutral, at which point the car can roll away. Down a hill. Out a dock. Into the lake. Very expensive.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mnm27mnm
the fact that the transmission is connected to the engine means that it can't turn while the engine is off. First gear is the best gear to do this in because higher gears could let the car move a bit if the engine turns just a tiny bit - first gear creates the greatest resistance.
You may also ask why you need the parking brake as well? If you ever watched the Tom Cruise movie Risky Business, you'll know. Yes, in spite of all I've said above, it is possible to knock the lever out of first and into neutral, at which point the car can roll away. Down a hill. Out a dock. Into the lake. Very expensive.
you should always park your car in gears!!!
also reverse has the most resistance not first. reverse is a smaller gear than 1st

i always park my car in reverse when its off.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

The turbo on the evo is watercooled as well, right? (excuse my newb question, but I havnt had the pleasure of diggin far into my eo yet! )

But if the turbo is watercooled as well, a turbo timer is not necessary, IMO. I only ran one when I had my 1g running on a oil cooled only turbo.
The evo's turbo is oil and water cooled.

The turbo timer allows for an extra allotted time for the engine to run at idle to allow oil and water to run through the lines connected to the turbo to cool it.
After immediately shutting off the car after using the turbo a good amount, the oil in the lines would be hot and then sit in the lines where it was after pressure was stopped from being shut off. The turbo timer keeps the water and oil moving through the lines allowing it to cool doing so by only being at idle rpms therefore, expelling some excess heat which would cause oil to be caked up in the lines over time.

A turbo timer is not necessarily needed. Unless you were running the car kind of hard, it is ok to shut off. However, what I do it just let it run 10seconds extra after parking the car while I gather my belongings from inside the car.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 06:57 AM

Always good to let it cool after a nice spirited drive! but if the car has a turbo timer, check to see what else it has or had before you buy it!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

WHAT!? WHAT!? WHAT!? WHAT!?

ur excused! I think a turbo timer is important.

Last edited by Aaron20; Apr 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mnm27mnm
I usually leave my vehicles in 1st gear when i turned them off, thankfully i didn't that time.
Yeah, it would not be a good picture if you left it in first gear and park behind another vehicle they're selling
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:49 AM

Dont people usually do the turbo timer or let the car run for 30 seconds , ofcourse it all depends if you were just racing or not but other than that before you pull up to where your gonna stop i figure you would just drive easy on it for those 20 or 30 seconds and then just shut it off like a normal car.

I mean think about how many turbo cars are out there that are daily driven and beat on by people who dont even know they have turbos and never let their car run before shutting it off, so in my opinion take it easy before you stop and let it run for like ten seconds and that should be good, unless ofcourse you were just beating the hell out of it and you dont have a factory tubro or car.

I think you should always put the e brake up before anything and as long as you put it up good you should never have a problem if working good, even if let in gear it should just stall out.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by riceball777
you should always park your car in gears!!!
also reverse has the most resistance not first. reverse is a smaller gear than 1st

i always park my car in reverse when its off.
Thank you for answering. People leave their cars in gear when parked because they learned properly.

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp

LOL - beautiful! You weren't being too mean, either.