Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does Evo suppose to shut off when you remove key?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Evo suppose to shut off when you remove key?

I went to test drive this evo the other day and i removed the key and the car remained on for a couple of seconds. Thankfully i didn't leave it in gear. The guy from the dealer told me it was normal so the turbo won't get damaged, but is that true was he bull sh*ting me?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IFF it has a turbo timer then yes. People with turbo timers usually let it run for more than a "couple of seconds".
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

not true, however, I've experienced that in my car about 10 times in the 3 years ive had it.. Turning it off and it stayed on for about 2-4 seconds
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:35 PM

Sounds like the car had a Turbo Timer installed by the previous owner.. The module doesnt allow the car to turn off until the Turbo reaches a safe temperature to no longer receive lubrication.

It's just one more mod you dont have to do!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:38 PM

I usually leave my vehicles in 1st gear when i turned them off, thankfully i didn't that time.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:39 PM

I wish the dealer had gave me a warning though. I couldn't here the car because they had loud music at the dealership, if they wouldn't had the music i would had probably heard that the car was still on.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by YAMAHArYder
Sounds like the car had a Turbo Timer installed by the previous owner.. The module doesnt allow the car to turn off until the Turbo reaches a safe temperature to no longer receive lubrication.

It's just one more mod you dont have to do!
You got that right. Seriously, you don't need to do it in the first place!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ agree I removed the turbo timer that was installed on my car from the previous owner. I can handle driving off boost for a minute or two before shutting off the car.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mnm27mnm
I usually leave my vehicles in 1st gear when i turned them off, thankfully i didn't that time.
i never understood why ppl leave their cars in gear, unless your on a really steep incline.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mnm27mnm
I wish the dealer had gave me a warning though. I couldn't here the car because they had loud music at the dealership, if they wouldn't had the music i would had probably heard that the car was still on.
What kind of dealership has music blasting like that? Especially since I'm assuming the car was outside when it was running. That'd be my first hesitation.

It's more of a long shot than a Turbo Timer like everyone has said, but the car might have an alarm systemt. I had the same thing when I test drove my current car; it has a fancy-dancy CompuStar alarm which leaves the car running until I open and close a door, then it automatically locks itself. It's kinda nice and also kinda sucks since it means I could very easily, unintentionally lock my keys in the car.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kanyonkid
not true, however, I've experienced that in my car about 10 times in the 3 years ive had it.. Turning it off and it stayed on for about 2-4 seconds
How A-spec Evos never came with a turbo timer.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SavEVOIX
How A-spec Evos never came with a turbo timer.
Exactly.. that is a great question....
The next question would be, if it only happened sometimes the ECU must know more info to understand when to keep the engine running...how would it know that? Where would those sensors (EGT, coolant, oil) regarding the turbo along with the standard coolant and oil temp's
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if the car is running after turn off its a turbo timer. No a spec evo continued to run after turn off from what i know. Mine had a timer installed so im glad i have it more insurance for me.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
turbo timer or electric gremlins in the driver's side kick panel
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The turbo on the evo is watercooled as well, right? (excuse my newb question, but I havnt had the pleasure of diggin far into my eo yet! )

But if the turbo is watercooled as well, a turbo timer is not necessary, IMO. I only ran one when I had my 1g running on a oil cooled only turbo.