Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Locked my key in, need help - Yes I know I'm stupid.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pop the lock

Been there done that, I actually thought I could leave the key in and the car on and just take my key fob and still get back in......ha go me that made for a long day. Use at your own risk, the EVO's locking mecinism is on the back doors thats the only way Ive seen to get in, you lodge a peice of wood cut like a V into about the middle of the window on the rear passenger door and then get a small rod or coat hanger notched or hooked and run it from the middle over to the door handle, pull up and wallah. But definatly at your own risk its always better to use a lock smith.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

So are you saying that the key fob will not unlock the doors if the key is in the ignition and on even if the battery isn't dead?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:57 AM

lock

It didnt work for me, I have and 05 EVO, The car was still on key in the ignition and all the doors were locked. I had the key fob in hand and nothing unlocked. I called the lock smith after he came out and opened it up I sat and talked with him for little while even tried to get him to sell me his set up to unlock the door. Took all but 30 sec to unlock it.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Was it running or just in the "ON" position?

I decided not to try to play mcgyver, locksmith on the way. I have roadside assistance through state farm so no big deal anyway I guess.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pop-a-lock for like $60. Let the pros deal with it. Atleast you didn't lock it while the car is running... Seen that many times before.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:42 AM

lock

My girl was running, long stupid drawn out story. I had a bad cell in the battery and had to hit walmart for something so thought Id be slick and the the car running and just go in and get what I needed then come out hit the auto store and get a new battery. what was supposed to be a 15 min venture out turned into a 2 hour trip.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Ick that sucks too.

Locksmith just got done, 30 seconds like everyone said.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

All the time you took to post this thread, you could have called a locksmith and had the door open in a few minutes. Or you could go to the dealer and get a new key made. There's far better options than breaking the window.

edit: Nice to see you got it taken care of!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

It's so easy to break into these cars it's not even funny. You can reach the lock with a wire hanger or a thin piece of sheet metal through the wether stipping along the B piler/between front and rear doors (the 30 second way).
And when that fails there is always a Home Depot "slim jim"; sheet metal and tin snips (ten second way).
http://www.clksupplies.com/shop/imag...Slim%20Jim.JPG
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened to me before. Your key fob doesn't work with the key in the ignition, regardless of position.. I just called a tow company and they used a tool to open the door. Took about 2min. Just stuck it down between the glass and weather stripping. No marks or anything.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:07 PM

this is a pretty good thread for people lookin to break into our cars =).
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Webman
All the time you took to post this thread, you could have called a locksmith and had the door open in a few minutes. Or you could go to the dealer and get a new key made. There's far better options than breaking the window.

edit: Nice to see you got it taken care of!
I know I know! I just don't like people F-ing with my car... So I thought if somehow I could "back power" it I could get it open. But it wasn't bad at all.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kdubb03
this is a pretty good thread for people lookin to break into our cars =).
No doubt... lol. Sorry! But any thief is gonna get in one way or another.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:14 PM

Having a dealer cut you a key will be pricy but it will kill two birds with one stone. Think about it, either way, it's a good idea to get a spare key. By all means, I'm down with trying to be creative but I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you, or...your wallet.lol accidents can get costly. Believe me I know. Just my 2cents, take and keep, or to throw in the wishing well.lol
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Call a locksmith - tell them you're locked out with key in car and need the door lock picked. Ten minute job - simple locks in the door. Probably cost you $50 plus a service call. Certainly less that a window and no paint or other damage.

Quick Reply: Locked my key in, need help - Yes I know I'm stupid.