Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I think my AC condersor is shot

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010 | 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

I think my AC condersor is shot

So last weekend I went to help my sister move. I turned the AC for the first time since the winter and about 10 seconds later the car died. That in itself isn't weird (idle issues with AC being on) but I also smelt something weird. Though nothing over it and decided to restart the car with the AC unit still turned on (on the climate controls)...it made a horrible sound started and turned off 2 seconds later. Turned the AC off on the climate controls and the car started fine.

Been afraid to turn it on ever sense.

I think its a bad AC unit? Anyone agree or could it be something else. If it is I'll be scouring the part out threads looking for a good unit.
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

what was the sound it was making??? like a belt squil?? Sounds like the compressor is messed up or something
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

^+1 the compressor is probably seized and the smell is either from the belt or the compressor clutch, or even the compressor itself. Try turning the compressor by hand with the engine off key off. don't turn the pully turn the center part. It should spin with some little force and you should feel points in the rotation where it seems a little harder to push past then it gets free again.