Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Possibly smoked the clutch

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly smoked the clutch

I was practicing up a couple of launches to get myself into the swing of things for test and tune down at the drag strip in a coming week. I had taken advice from the site on how to launch properly (slip in a bit, then raise quickly when I feel it pull). For the most part it worked out until my fourth try after I had adjusted my shocks a bit.

After launching pretty hard I noticed white smoke pop from my hood and a god awful smell enter my car. I immediately stopped the car and popped the hood. After everything checked out I drove my car lightly around and checked all my gears. I thought maybe I had spun the tires and smoked them a bit. So I gave it a bit of time and then warmed up the car again and tried another launch. Same thing happened again, just not as much. However I really tried to observe the smell. It smelled like burnt electronics more than rubber (never smelled a burnt clutch). At this point I came to the conclusion this wasn't the tires and quit launching and let the car rest for a bit. I checked it out and everything seems to be working and shifting correctly.

Have a slight shutter some times when I'm in 1st gear, but its been that way since I owned the car. Anyways, I'm guessing I might have smoked my clutch pretty good, I'm going to most likely pass on the drag strip next week and give it some time to make sure it's ok. Bit of scare and possible costly mistake on my part if I end up having to get it replaced .
Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CDeclipse
I was practicing up a couple of launches to get myself into the swing of things for test and tune down at the drag strip in a coming week. I had taken advice from the site on how to launch properly (slip in a bit, then raise quickly when I feel it pull). For the most part it worked out until my fourth try after I had adjusted my shocks a bit.

After launching pretty hard I noticed white smoke pop from my hood and a god awful smell enter my car. I immediately stopped the car and popped the hood. After everything checked out I drove my car lightly around and checked all my gears. I thought maybe I had spun the tires and smoked them a bit. So I gave it a bit of time and then warmed up the car again and tried another launch. Same thing happened again, just not as much. However I really tried to observe the smell. It smelled like burnt electronics more than rubber (never smelled a burnt clutch). At this point I came to the conclusion this wasn't the tires and quit launching and let the car rest for a bit. I checked it out and everything seems to be working and shifting correctly.

Have a slight shutter some times when I'm in 1st gear, but its been that way since I owned the car. Anyways, I'm guessing I might have smoked my clutch pretty good, I'm going to most likely pass on the drag strip next week and give it some time to make sure it's ok. Bit of scare and possible costly mistake on my part if I end up having to get it replaced .
You got that clutch hot, that is for sure... OEM clutch? Sounds like you glazed it pretty good but that is just my opinion. Going to the drag strip is only going to make it worse also because of the "prepared" surface.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:42 PM

Stock clutch? That was a very bad idea since u were doing launches over and over...
Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To tell you for sure we need clutch details. Some clutches are designed for this kind of abuse. It sounds like even though you were slipping it over and over and launching it was holding well, otherwise your engagement would have been shot and you would have gone nowhere. Clutch details, how old is it, brand, mods (or approx tq), etc would help
Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
What year evo?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:51 PM

Sorry, forgot to post my stats:

Evo IX 45,000 miles stock clutch, TBE (no cat) 3inch, ETS intake, some horrible BOV (original owner couldn't find the DV, so I'm just going to buy one next week). On stock boost, has been tuned. Owned the car for 10 months.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

From everything I've read/heard the stock clutch doesn't hold up too well to launching. Personally I've never run the stock clutch (car had ACT HDSS on it when I got it) but the clutch burning is a very specific smell, most likely what you're noticing. Anytime you slip it you will get a smell but I've never seen smoke in all my launching of the car
Old Apr 28, 2010, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I have had 2 buddys that had there stock clutch go out at about 45-50k miles. I have had mine since new and my clutch went out at around 30k miles but I also lanched mine somewhere between 20-30 times.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 09:11 PM

Yeah, I was afraid that my clutch would eat it. Seems to be ok right now, most likely I'll have to skip the drag meet and just take it easy. Guess I'll start the saving process and pick up an aftermarket clutch (whole nother can of worms on what to pick).
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:35 AM

Checked and drove the car again this morning and the smell is completely gone. Last night it would disappear until I drove the car a bit, then I would smell it again. Everything is running as it should it seems.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 09:29 AM

I would recommend removing the clutch restrictor if you haven't already, before attempting any more launches on this clutch or a new clutch.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:29 AM

Repeated back to back launches will tend to overheat a stock clutch. At the track you usually get enough time between runs to not have too much of an issue. Once it's been overheated it will tend to not clamp as well but it sounds like it is working for you for basic driving. I suspect a few more back to back launches will do it in.

Removing the clutch restrictor will help the clutch engage better but the downside is that it is easier to shock load your drive train if you aren't careful.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the responses guys! I will look into the clutch restrictor a bit. Most likely I'm going to lay down some money for a better aftermarket clutch. I drove my car around a bit more during lunch and still did not smell any clutch inside, but I did pop the hook and am getting some lingering scent there. I really want to hit the drag strip with some of my friends to get a base before I put on a couple of mods, but as this is my daily driver, I'm going to be safe and just pass on it till I replace the clutch.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:09 PM

The clutch may be glazed. Drive the car for a 50 miles and make sure it is not slipping. One way or another, you will need a clutch once the car is making more power and after a few trips to the track.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

this is y im not goin to learn how to launch until I already have my new clutch at home so if I smoke it. I can not be upset and start doing the replacement. I would recommend being easy on her until u have a new clutch rdy.

Quick Reply: Possibly smoked the clutch