Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

had the car for 12 hours and now it wont start! PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2010, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had the car for 12 hours and now it wont start! PLEASE HELP!!

so yesterday morning i cruised down to chicago which is like a 90 mile trip, and picked up my new evo. i recently sold my cammed ls1 trans am and found this car after 2 years of watching the for sale threads. heres a link to the car

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...27k-miles.html

i knew what i was getting into buying a heavily modded car but it is so clean and well done and in my price range(not the asking price by the way) Me and 2 of my buddies with dsm's(05 FP Red Evo and 35R galant vr4) did a compression test and checked out the turbo for shaft play and everything was great.

i drove the car home and rode around in it all night basically on and off and it ran great! then around midnight last night i did a 2nd gear pull and slowed down for a light and when i stopped it died and wouldnt start back up, i had it towed home but now i dont have any idea whats wrong with it, it cranks and everything but it just never fires up, i think its gotta be something electrical because my dad said he could smell the gas when he tried to start it in my garage this afternoon so i think it must not be gettin spark. but its my first evo and i dont exactly know everything about them yet. i work till 9 and then im goin to look at it with the dsm guys to try and diagnose it but with the aem ems and all the stuff done to this car i have no idea where to start.
PLEASE HELP, ANY OPINIONS WILL HELP ME AT THIS POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 2, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what they say, the EMS makes it hard to start up perfectly sometimes.
Old May 2, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
1. check fuses
2. check crankshaft position sensor
Old May 2, 2010, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

you could have popped a vaccum line off the back of the intake mani on that 2nd gear pull and now it wont start or idle, i dont know exactly which line would do that, but its possible... usually with these cars its something small, easy and cheap to fix, its just impossible to find... also you might want to bring the car to AMS since you live in illonois, they are one of the nations top shops and they're local, have them give it a go over and have it tuned, just for peace of mind because unless you know who previously tuned the car, if they didnt know what they were doing it could be a time bomb waiting to happen... i wish you better luck with the car, it doesnt sound too serious though
Old May 2, 2010, 06:37 PM

the car was tuned by buschur and i have the dyno sheet and everything, im going to eventually tune it for e85 but i need to get it running again before any of that, ik the aem makes it hard to start but it ran great all day, it usualy has to crank a few times but it started up everytime just fine and now nothin, just cranking, im sure its a hose or some kind of electical problem its just diagnosing it is going to suck and i really dont wanna spend a few hundred dollars to have a shop look at it and find a vaccuum line blown off or somethinf so easy lol, any other suggestions?
Old May 2, 2010, 08:03 PM

boost leak test it for that line possibly, um fuses for sure intercooler piping good?
Old May 3, 2010, 05:40 AM

Check spark. Take a plug out, plug the wire back into it, have a friend stand out side and watch. Lay the plug on the exhaust mani (for the groung) and crank it over.
Old May 3, 2010, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

i had a cam sensor in mine go bad and it would be fine one minute and die and not restart the next, got a new one put on (was barely within warranty at the time thank god)and it has been fine since. just a thought.
Old May 3, 2010, 06:02 AM

I had the same issue, check both cam and crank sensor. Let us know how everything goes. Good luck!
Old May 3, 2010, 07:35 AM

i bet it pulled real hard before it died though
Old May 3, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check all your piping...
Old May 3, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

definitely check your fuses
Old May 3, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Should have bought mine
Old May 3, 2010, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mmolch2
i bet it pulled real hard before it died though

Start to make sure you have the basics. Fuel and spark, then work from there. Get a lap top and plug in the AEM. Make sure all the sensors are sending a signal. Shouldn't be that hard. I was in your boat about 7 months ago. Car never died, but it's decently modified on the AEM so it had it's quirks. I've learned A LOT since I've had it. Done quite a bit of work and I'm almost to the point of being satisfied. For a little while at least.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by black95tt

Start to make sure you have the basics. Fuel and spark, then work from there. Get a lap top and plug in the aem. Make sure all the sensors are sending a signal. Shouldn't be that hard. I was in your boat about 7 months ago. Car never died, but it's decently modified on the aem so it had it's quirks. I've learned a lot since i've had it. Done quite a bit of work and i'm almost to the point of being satisfied. For a little while at least.
+1

Quick Reply: had the car for 12 hours and now it wont start! PLEASE HELP!!