Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

whats wrong with my evo?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2010, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No cat so no worrys there. I think my filter is black too so I'm gonna pick a new one up today as well, gonna toss on. New wires, plugs and a air filter and aee if that does the trick. Thx for all the help
Old May 6, 2010, 01:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure you gap your spark plugs correctly..... .26 should be fine, I run .24 with no issues rarrely missfire.
Old May 7, 2010, 08:02 AM

My car misfires at idle but seems to run fine as soon as you start driving it. I think the previous owner tried tuning it him/herself. could that be the problem, the car not being tuned properly? When Idling it seems like the A/F slowly creeps up from 14.4ish to low 15s then the idle rises a few hundred and then the A/F drops again.
Old May 7, 2010, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by malac0da13
My car misfires at idle but seems to run fine as soon as you start driving it. I think the previous owner tried tuning it him/herself. could that be the problem, the car not being tuned properly? When Idling it seems like the A/F slowly creeps up from 14.4ish to low 15s then the idle rises a few hundred and then the A/F drops again.
Do you have an aftermarket intake? I've heard they sometimes cause idling issues, especially without a proper tune. If you have a Tactrix cable and Ecuflash you can download an image of your ECU and then post it in the Ecuflash forum where someone could take a look at it and let you know if the tune looks OK or not.
Old May 7, 2010, 02:36 PM

No I don't have one. the car also while driving if you are in gear and let off the throttle and just coast in gear the car will go full rich(as to be expected with a vent to air blowoff valve) but then goes full lean until given throttle again? Any ideas about that? I am trying to convince my wife to let me get the cable and stuff or even better just take it some where and get it tuned, but shes being a little stubborn.
Old May 7, 2010, 03:16 PM

I changed my plugs and wires, gapped them at .27 and changed the air filter and she's still running rough. She's got power under boost but spits and sputters, no more missing or back fires though. A buddy of mine said the timing looked like I was off a tooth. I did notice I have air coming out of my oil filler at idle. Could this be the issue?
Old May 7, 2010, 03:49 PM

How could you tell that? Could you tell by little bits of spatter of oil? I think mine might have/be doing that too.
Old May 7, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

No I don't have one. the car also while driving if you are in gear and let off the throttle and just coast in gear the car will go full rich(as to be expected with a vent to air blowoff valve) but then goes full lean until given throttle again? Any ideas about that? I am trying to convince my wife to let me get the cable and stuff or even better just take it some where and get it tuned, but shes being a little stubborn.
I've not heard good things about the vent to air blow off valves. From what I've heard the stock ECU doesn't like them very much because it expects that air to be recirculated back into the system not vented out. Most people that I've talked to say to go with the metal Evo IX BOV. If you have a stock BOV laying around try sticking that back on and see what happens. I also feel your pain on the wife thing. I actually just went ahead and bought mine without asking and just told her it was something that I needed to keep the car running right.
Old May 7, 2010, 05:11 PM

Yeah I know. That's what came on the car, so that's what I'm stuck with. Its an hks ssqv to which I've heard even worse things about. It has the kit to recirculate it but the hose that connects to the end was cut off half way and capped. So all I really need right now is that hose and that should help. Idont think the blow off valve is what's causing it to run lean or misfire though would it? I pulled the plugs to check the gap and they had white crap on em so its definitely running lean. They are also the NGK copper plugs I think. So ill definitely have to get new plugs.
Old May 7, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

I'm no expert at all at this other than I just finished dealing with a similar problem but I definitely think it could be a combination of the BOV and needing a good tune. Also what spark plugs are you running? Most people recommend NGK copper BPR7's. That's what I've had the best luck with after swapping plugs out three times now.
Old May 7, 2010, 05:54 PM

Are the They 8s...I thought I read not to run ngks or any copper plug and to only run iridium plugs because they will melt or something.
Old May 7, 2010, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like your MAF, My boy just had the same problem, just throw an o2 code and p0300 but not a specific cylinder misfire. It the mass air causing the car to run rich constantly, try swapping with a friend and see if that fixes it!
Old May 7, 2010, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Are the They 8s...I thought I read not to run ngks or any copper plug and to only run iridium plugs because they will melt or something.
It could just be coincidince but when I first started having problems I tried swapping plugs and first tried NGK BR8EIX Iridiums because I was running higher than stock boost and thought I needed the colder plug. Those ended up fouling out just like the BPR7ES that were in there when I got the car partially due to the dealership flashing my ecu back to stock. So I then I got the car retuned and tried the BPR8EIX Iridiums cuz they are a half step warmer than the BR8EIX and those also fouled out pretty quickly from running too rich. Lastly I tried going back to the BPR7ES and put a new filter in after having some exhaust manifold leaks fixed and BOOM! The car runs like a champ!

Long story short... I would definitely stay away from the Iridiums for now, at least until you get the problem fixed cuz otherwise your going to be spending a lot of money on replacing spark plugs. The guys at AMS recommended the BPR7ES so if it's good enough for them then they're good enough for me. Here's a link to them on lancershop.com but I actually got mine off of e-bay for a little bit cheaper with free shipping. Checking the MAF sensor like alianum777 said isn't a bad idea either.

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...&cat=89&page=1
Old May 7, 2010, 08:32 PM

I don't think my car is running rich though. It only does when I first back off the throttle and the blow off valve does its thing. That is to be expected though because it doesn't recirculate. Could a vacuum leak after the maf sensor cause it to run lean? My dad has this neat tool at his work that he's goin to bring home to detect air leaks that I am going to try out. So it is safe to run copper plugs or are u suggesting to just run them until I figure out the problem so I don't waste money on iridiums?
Old May 7, 2010, 09:05 PM

I don't think my car is running rich though. It only does when I first back off the throttle and the blow off valve does its thing. That is to be expected though because it doesn't recirculate. Could a vacuum leak after the maf sensor cause it to run lean? My dad has this neat tool at his work that he's goin to bring home to detect air leaks that I am going to try out. So it is safe to run copper plugs or are u suggesting to just run them until I figure out the problem so I don't waste money on iridiums?

Quick Reply: whats wrong with my evo?