Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Heater core removal

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater core removal

Hey I have been searching for a while and haven't been able to find out how to remove it (heater core). I have had a water leak for a while now when it rains and I have searched everyplace I could and the heater core is my last option. I was wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction or tell me how to remove it.
Thanx for any information you have
Old May 3, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If the heater core is bad it will leak antifreeze not water. You should be able to tell the difference by the odor.

If all you are getting is water then maybe the drain is plugged. I was under my car the other day and noticed the drain is right out in the open and easy to get to. So before doing anything else, I'd suggest you run a wire up the drain hose making sure it isn't plugged.

In answer to your first question, the heater box comes out after the dash is removed. Set aside a few days for that.
Old May 3, 2010, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
If the heater core is bad it will leak antifreeze not water. You should be able to tell the difference by the odor.

If all you are getting is water then maybe the drain is plugged. I was under my car the other day and noticed the drain is right out in the open and easy to get to. So before doing anything else, I'd suggest you run a wire up the drain hose making sure it isn't plugged.

In answer to your first question, the heater box comes out after the dash is removed. Set aside a few days for that.
yeah its just water. where is the drain ?
and thanx for the info
Old May 3, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done this myself recently for HVAC repair.

You need to pull the lower radiator hose. Watch out, it'll flow fast. And collect/dispose of the antifreeze. Then you'll have to get in the engine bay and get pliers and pull the two clips on the heater core hoses that run into the firewall.

If you need some help read my signature post. It'll explain some steps. You're going to have to drop the dash to get to it...
Old May 4, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by PaperClip
yeah its just water. where is the drain ?
and thanx for the info
As I remember.....

A black rubber hose, coming through the firewall, at the bottom, a little towards the driver's side from center. It comes through horizontally and then points down, open at the end.

My former TA was wetting the front carpet. So, without jacking the car I crawled under. By the time I could reach the drain, I was stuck. I probed the drain and there was water up there, lots of it, and I could barely move. I got soaked.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
As I remember.....

A black rubber hose, coming through the firewall, at the bottom, a little towards the driver's side from center. It comes through horizontally and then points down, open at the end.

My former TA was wetting the front carpet. So, without jacking the car I crawled under. By the time I could reach the drain, I was stuck. I probed the drain and there was water up there, lots of it, and I could barely move. I got soaked.
x2......I had the same problem with mine
Old May 13, 2010, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I assume the drain being mentioned is for the evaporator for the AC. If it's not raining and you run the AC on a hot/humid day do you get water? If not this drain is ok.

like others I have had this drain plug up (on my 1G). It's amazing how much water the AC removes from humid air.