Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I'm looking to get an evo very soon.. What mechanical problems should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to get an evo very soon.. What mechanical problems should I look out for?

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a lancer evolution 8 or 9 within the next 2 months or so. I'm going to be doing payments on the evo, I'm limiting myself to the $16,000ish range.. give or take.

But being that I have never owned an evo, I don't know what mechanical failures or potential soon-to-come failures I should look out for when buying one.

I most likely WILL NOT be getting the MR trim, unless I get one with a junk title.. but I really don't want to go down that route..

Anyways, yeah.. What mechanical failures should I look for when I go look for an evo? What are usually the first parts to go out?

Also, I obviously know these cars get CONSISTANTLY.. beat on. Unless adult owned, but even then. Is there anything I can look at other than pulling the valve cover off and checking for gunked block oil / deposits to see if the car has been previously run hard?

All input is really appreciated. I really do not want to get an evo that goes out on me a month or two after buying it
Old May 5, 2010, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure there is no transfercase whine when you test drive one. GL
Old May 5, 2010, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are very tough cars mechanically... you may not like the cheap paint and chips that come with it, but as long as it has been properly cared for, even an Evo that has been run pretty damn hard can last a long time. The one thing about them is maintenance costs can be expensive, but you can always get less expensive brakes, tires, fluids, that are still good.
Old May 5, 2010, 11:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
review the "beginners guide to buying an evo" in the newbie section

this has been discussed multiple times

closed...