Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

road trip cruise

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2010, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06mr775
I drove my Evo from Nevada to Vancouver Canada. It was a really fun trip with many mountain roads.
Oh i could only imagine how fun that would be, no need for cruise control there, and you would definitely stay awake no problem
Old May 8, 2010, 08:18 PM

Took at trip from Santa Barbara to San Francisco via Hwy 1.. Fun times, wasn't too bad without cruise control since i was on a curvy hwy the majority of the time.
Old May 8, 2010, 08:25 PM

I took mine this past winter from Tahoe to Denver in one swoop... 14.5 hours. I can say the worst part is the small fuel tank. I wish it had another 3-4 gallons, stopping every 275 miles kinda sux when your used to stopping every 350-400. So plan your fuel stops accordingly
Old May 9, 2010, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...productid=1062

That's the only place I've seen it, I hate Lancershop though... Installation instructions are on that page too
OMG!!! all this time i been wondering why there hasnt been a cruise control in the car and surpassingly theres one :] awesome!
Old May 9, 2010, 07:35 AM

I spent $600on cruise control from my ix and it sucks. Even after they adjusted it. At 70+ mph it will not hold, just makes the car boost too much then let off too much and you get a jerking motion. Around 55-70 it works for awhile or until you get to a big enough hill.

I'm sure it works fine for other people and I do need to take it back and have them try to adjust it again but that will make four times. On the other hand the install shop I took it to might just suck.....

edit...$600 was installed. If I bought the kit off the internet they wanted $100 per hour labor...
Old May 9, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

bought my VII in Louisiana and drove it home to Kentucky was a sweet trip and thats the only time i have really got to open her up. no speed easy roads in my location LOL
Old May 9, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Not as long as the others here but from Phx to San Diego is the furthest I have gone. I love not having that cruise control cause you have to pay attention. Once you hit the mountains and the slow *** trucks start put'n along is when you start having real fun. Hearing the turbo spool as you take the hills is much better than listening to the radio. BE SAFE and be prepared, bring a full sized spare just in case!!!
Old May 10, 2010, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
franc01 had posted the DIY for the cruise control install, I also did this and added pictures, I use it everyday, I still feel that holding a consistant speed has saved me money on fuel mileage, as well as saved me from unintended speeding tickets. Was worth the install time, and I think I'd run the wires a bit differently... Maybe I'll post that info in the install thread.

DIY INSTALL THREAD IS HERE
Old May 10, 2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bassicfun
franc01 had posted the DIY for the cruise control install, I also did this and added pictures, I use it everyday, I still feel that holding a consistant speed has saved me money on fuel mileage, as well as saved me from unintended speeding tickets. Was worth the install time, and I think I'd run the wires a bit differently... Maybe I'll post that info in the install thread.

DIY INSTALL THREAD IS HERE
Yeah you should. Thats a really helpful thread! I'm gonna do it in the future for sure! Cuz i cant even drive 15 minutes without it lol, I always set it at the perfect speed thats fast enough but not so fast to get a ticket if caught, its very helpful
Old May 10, 2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by bxracer1
I took mine this past winter from Tahoe to Denver in one swoop... 14.5 hours. I can say the worst part is the small fuel tank. I wish it had another 3-4 gallons, stopping every 275 miles kinda sux when your used to stopping every 350-400. So plan your fuel stops accordingly
Only 275? That kinda sux. My WRX has 14.5 gallons and goes about 320 in the summer, and about 250 in the winter lol. I thought Evos would be like the same
Old May 10, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i drove from chicago all the way to dallas tx and back =] fun times
Old May 10, 2010, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by zignus
I spent $600on cruise control from my ix and it sucks. Even after they adjusted it. At 70+ mph it will not hold, just makes the car boost too much then let off too much and you get a jerking motion. Around 55-70 it works for awhile or until you get to a big enough hill.

I'm sure it works fine for other people and I do need to take it back and have them try to adjust it again but that will make four times. On the other hand the install shop I took it to might just suck.....

edit...$600 was installed. If I bought the kit off the internet they wanted $100 per hour labor...
Two things to check:

The dip switches - these are settings for how many cylinders, how many poles on the speed sensor, etc. In other words the switches tell the cruise about your car. They need to be set correctly.

A good connection to the speed wire coming from the tranny. I got a DSM back from a cruise control shop and they had connected the cruise to the cam sensor. I don't know what kinda signal comes from the cam sensor but the cruise worked - sorta. Well, it worked a lot like yours is doing.

On my DSM I didn't know what was wrong so I bought another identical cruise and reinstalled it myself following the included instructions. It worked perfectly. The thing is, a cruise will try to work no matter how badly the install is screwed up. So, get it close to right and all is sweet.
Old May 11, 2010, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

An 'aggressive' BOV can cause this as well... had that issue with mine, went back to the metal IX BOV, and it went away... I added comments to the install thread as well... cruise was $250, and an afternoon to install... can't beat it.