Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boost issues

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost issues

I have a profec II spec b on my car. Everything is hooked up correctly it has a new boost solenoid on it so this thing should work it is tuned in just like another evo locally that has an ams 850r kit on his car. The problem I'm having is it won't run over wastegate boost. It is an ams 950R kit. I have now wired up the solenoid to be controlled by the aem but haven't gotten over to the guy that tunes the car. I'm about ready to smash this Profec B. I bought it used off of here and everything looks legit and it reads boost fine it just will not control the boost. The only thing I can think of if this AEM controlling the boost doesn't work. I guess it could be the wastegate is stuck. It does boost creep sometimes after hitting 15 psi. It might creep up to 25 by 8500 RPM.

Any ideas???
Old May 11, 2010, 08:01 PM

Check to be sure the vacuum lines on the solenoid aren't criscrossed. It won't work if so.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

dang. if everything is hooked up correct then check for leaks or start off with simple things like that. i usually hear good things about these on eclipse and stuff. good luck. come on people help this guy out. this is why i sold mine for 30 bux. thats what i thought about the greedy unit
Old May 12, 2010, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dreyfus14
Check to be sure the vacuum lines on the solenoid aren't criscrossed. It won't work if so.

I've checked it a million times it is all hooked up correctly. The only thing I can think of is the wastegate is stuck slightly open causing it to maintain 15 psi and not boost creep. With this turbo it should at least creep all the way to 9k. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. This has led me to believe that it is the wastegate. I'm going to take it off today and look it over good maybe take it apart and clean it then put it back together. Hopefully it fixes my issues. I'm ready for 37 psi rather than 15. lol
Old May 13, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Took the wastegate line off the top and put the side wastegate line on top to see if it would run any boost and it went to 30+ psi and I let off so that eliminates the wastegate as the problem. The only thing I can figure now is the control unit itself is bad and not sending a signal to the solenoid. I cannot find anyone who has ever had one of these go bad other than breaking the plastic nipple off the back. Good thing is I have one box that I know is good but it has a broken nipple. I opened it up and it looks to be a replacable part so I guess I'm going to swap that piece out on the good one and see if that works.