Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO IX MR 155,000 mile maintenance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2010, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hikaru
155,000 and you haven't had the time? stage 1 evo mods are around $2000 including the tune and labor cost, can net u around 80-100hp and can be done in like 4 hrs. Not criticizing, just saying different strokes for different folks I guess.
you have no idea how crazy my life has been the past 2 years. as for the 80-100hp, yeah that sounds great in theory, but you add that much power to a basically stock drivetrain that you want to keep stock, and you start breaking things.

also, the closest tuner to me is over 8 hours away. no offense, but when I say I haven't had time, if you don't know anything about me (which you don't), then take my word for it.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatev
Old Jun 4, 2010, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
you have no idea how crazy my life has been the past 2 years. as for the 80-100hp, yeah that sounds great in theory, but you add that much power to a basically stock drivetrain that you want to keep stock, and you start breaking things.

also, the closest tuner to me is over 8 hours away. no offense, but when I say I haven't had time, if you don't know anything about me (which you don't), then take my word for it.
I think it's absolutely awesome that you've hit and surpassed 155k miles on your car. It's exactly what I plan on doing with mine.

I currently have a little under 63k on her and the only thing I've had to change so far is a starter. She's running like a champ. The previous owner changed the Timing Belt, Pulley and one other part at around 16k miles, so I'm good for a little while. However, I still want to get the 60k service done pretty soon just so that I have piece of mind and that everything is nice and fresh.

I run Amsoil in my tranny, tc, and rear diff with Mobil1 in my engine and so far so good.

In regards to getting a tune and being reliable, I do not think you will have any issues at all. Your car will definitely be able to handle the power it will be making after a tune, and it won't miss a beat. The tuner will overall increase the cars driveability, and you should also get better gas mileage. Whether the car is stock or modified, how you drive it will dictate how long she lasts. I know you said that there are no local tuners around you, which sucks, but you should definitely look into getting it done when the time comes. You will not regret it. Let the person tuning the car know that she's a DD and that reliability is #1.

My car was tuned and lightly modded by the previous owner and I've added a couple of mods myself and had a retune done and she's still running very strong.

Take your time, but trust me, you will not regret it.

-Jalal
Old Jun 4, 2010, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know it will run for that long, I am at 40k, So I have a long time!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

holy crap 150k miles that is impressive
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:20 AM

Nice!!!!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

I think its amazing you already have 155,000 miles on a 2006 IX MR. I have the exact same model and year and only have 35,000 miles on it. How much do you drive a year...lol
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hikaru
Whatev
do me a favor, get your employer to shut down, move 150 miles away from your current home for a new job, but before you do, drive that 150 miles one way every day that you have to go to work for 8 months while training and working for 12 hours a day.

after that, make the move, but get stuck with the house you had 150 miles away being on the market for 2 years while you're paying notes on it, and rent at your new place (which is almost as much as the house note).

while you're doing that, pay for the EVO, all it's associated maintenance costs, all your utilities for both residences, pay for your second car (an Acura TSX), and all it's associated expenses, then just for kicks, tell your girlfriend's dad to contract prostate cancer, and have to deal with that over 300 miles away.

do all that including all the little unexpected things that go wrong over the course of two years, like animals running out in front of you and taking out your lip/front bumper/intercooler, buying your gf a dog for over $1500 dollars only to have it die tragically 6 months later, and then have to spend another $1500 for a new one and all it's associated crap, have sicknesses in your own family that you have to find time/money to address 150-200 miles away, and deal with 3 major hurricanes, and the associated damages to the property you don't live in, but still have to pay for.

you do all that, and then you find time to drive 8 hours or more to find someone to tune your car, and mod, and all that. I'm lucky when I have time to go to the gym and play ball, workout, and autocross.

so you do all that, then report back and let me know how far up on the list modifying your only source of reliable transportation is.

shove that "whatev" up your ***. that's a chick expression anyway.

I apologize ahead of time mods, but **** this guy. If I get a point or two, it was worth it. I've had a rough 2 years.

Last edited by ODUB; Jun 4, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

^^ODUB you and I are alike, take no sh*t from nobody and tell them how it is. Not many people like to hear the truth, and thats were we come in.

Sorry to hear about your tough time, it happens to all of us, hang in there.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

damn i thought i was down in the hole... you wont know what to do when your place sells and all the other things are out of they way... i have 99000k on my evo btw
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

wow i'm far far away 03 just hit 29 lol glad to see this things can last! mine will prob be rebuilt before i get that high lol... gl with all the stuff going on!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have over 50 drag passes (two step launch) on 03 stock drivetrain with amsoil, and no problem whatsoever. Noticed easier shifting and less drivetrain noise when I swapped from OEM fluid to AMSOIL. Also noticed less shavings on the magnets after 3000 miles.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

lol well I don't need this to be a sympathy thread. I'm fine, i'm just saying different people have different priorities, so to those that don't understand that, get off my ***. I made plenty of money to cover all the necessities, and still have plenty of fun, taking trips, doing OTHER things I like to do, plenty of racing/autocrossing, but modifying my car wasn't high on the list of things to do. I didn't think the concept was really that hard to grasp.

But yes, once things slow down, and I buy another car (probably a 335i or something) then i'll likely make the EVO a dedicated autocross/track car.

Last edited by ODUB; Jun 7, 2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

off topic from modding but it sounds like your taking on alot of unnecessary stress/burden... why u gotta deal ur GF's dad's issue is beyond me (besides occassional visits and gifts)... and if your tight on money why are you DDing a tsx? did you look into renting your home if selling isnt the best option?

you remind me of my ex, purposely loading up in life out of preference
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope I will be able to hit 150k with routine maintenance now that I have cams/BBK/etc. Call me optimistic but I have a feeling the car will take it in stride.

Quick Reply: EVO IX MR 155,000 mile maintenance