Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO IX MR 155,000 mile maintenance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ODUB
lol well I don't need this to be a sympathy thread. I'm fine, i'm just saying different people have different priorities, so get off my ***. I made plenty of money to cover all the necessities, and still have plenty of fun, taking trips, doing OTHER things I like to do, plenty of racing/autocrossing, but modifying my car wasn't high on the list of things to do. I didn't think the concept was really that hard to grasp.

But yes, once things slow down, and I buy another car (probably a 335i or something) then i'll likely make the EVO a dedicated autocross/track car.
id rather not be talked down for no reason.. there is no need for that... i was just saying jesus your busy and it would be nice to just chill and relax.. ok?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A buddy of mine has a 125k mile Evo 8 and it runs perfectly with no issues. It is tuned and has a few bolt-on's but he also has a long commute to work every day. He tells me the secret to a reliable Evo is changing the Oil / Transfer Case / Trans / Diff at the recommended intervals with OEM (!) fluids. I can not argue with him as his Evo is in great shape despite the mileage.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mifesto
off topic from modding but it sounds like your taking on alot of unnecessary stress/burden... why u gotta deal ur GF's dad's issue is beyond me (besides occassional visits and gifts)... and if your tight on money why are you DDing a tsx? did you look into renting your home if selling isnt the best option?

you remind me of my ex, purposely loading up in life out of preference
well, my GF lives with me, we've been together for 4 years, we will be getting married, so her problems are my problems.

as for money, it's not tight. i'm also not DD'ing a TSX. I bought the TSX for my gf. I DD my EVO. As far as why a TSX, because I wanted a nice car lol Money's fine, I just chose to spend it in other places than modding.

as far as renting, that's what I'm doing in the city I'm in now, but renting an apartment is almost as expensive as buying a house. my rent is only $100 cheaper than my house note was lol.

like I said, PRIORITIES. yes, I could have modded the EVO with the money I used to go out, go on vacation, or live in a luxury apartment, or have a nice second car, but those things were all more important to me than modding a car that's already fast enough for what I use it for. I race in STU. there's no need to go modding the thing and getting me bumped into higher classes, and possibly making the car less reliable in the process.

I guess what i'm saying is, I like my car the way it is, and I enjoy winning trophies on street tires. I also enjoy like a thousand other things too, so why would I waste all that money dumping it into unecessary mods?

When I buy another car in a year or so, probably a 335i or something, I will start modding the EVO more. I might do it before that just to be able to keep up with the new cars coming out (Mustang GT, etc). I just plan on doing a dp, hfc, O2 housing, a tune, and some other maintenance things (new fuel pump, injectors/seals, throttle body shaft seals, stainless steel brake lines, and clutch line).

Originally Posted by joshewa2688
id rather not be talked down for no reason.. there is no need for that... i was just saying jesus your busy and it would be nice to just chill and relax.. ok?
hahahaha noooo, you missunderstood my post. i just read it again, and I see how you could have come to that conclusion though. the "get off my ***" was for the other guy who was on my ***, not you lol I was just saying that people bugging me about modding and this and that need to leave me alone.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ahh ok i see now..i agree lot of evos are unmodded and their owner are very happy plus a unmodded motor is going to last longer then most others out there. i seroulsy doubt half of all evo will hit the 150k mark
Old Jun 7, 2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by joshewa2688
ahh ok i see now..i agree lot of evos are unmodded and their owner are very happy plus a unmodded motor is going to last longer then most others out there. i seroulsy doubt half of all evo will hit the 150k mark
Thats really a shame since they are good cars when you take care of them and maintain them like they are supposed to. There is no reason why an Evo cant make it to 200k+ as long as the owner is not constantly launching it and driving it like an *******.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

I have an 03' Evo with 138k... TBE, intake, MBC, FMIC, LICP, Fuel Pump, and the beloved Self-tune... Car is a fun car yet reliable... love it!!!

ODUB you got pm!!!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wisky
Thats really a shame since they are good cars when you take care of them and maintain them like they are supposed to. There is no reason why an Evo cant make it to 200k+ as long as the owner is not constantly launching it and driving it like an *******.
i have to disagree with part of this statement. these cars were made to launch, and drive hard. the launch is part of what makes it so deadly. what's the point of having the ability to gain a second or two on the competition at the launch, and not use it? the car will last with launching, and driving it hard. that said, there's a difference between driving it hard, and abusing it.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

congrats on the long life of your car, gives us high hopes, even with tons of mods haha
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by ODUB
i have to disagree with part of this statement. these cars were made to launch, and drive hard. the launch is part of what makes it so deadly. what's the point of having the ability to gain a second or two on the competition at the launch, and not use it? the car will last with launching, and driving it hard. that said, there's a difference between driving it hard, and abusing it.
Driving hard and abusing it are two different things, I agree. But 5k clutch dumps down the 1/4 is abuse, especially when done excessively. Mitsubishi designed these cars to be great performing sport sedans that could go to the road course straight out of the show room floor. IMO it is less abuse on the drivetrain when driven on a road course / autox than passing down the 1/4 mile (and more fun too!).
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wisky
Driving hard and abusing it are two different things, I agree. But 5k clutch dumps down the 1/4 is abuse, especially when done excessively. Mitsubishi designed these cars to be great performing sport sedans that could go to the road course straight out of the show room floor. IMO it is less abuse on the drivetrain when driven on a road course / autox than passing down the 1/4 mile (and more fun too!).
I would have to disagree with you about road course racing is less abuse(wear and tear) than drag racing.. Going down the 1320 only last for 13secs or so.. Road racing you have to downshift upshift, etc..
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LGshow19
I would have to disagree with you about road course racing is less abuse(wear and tear) than drag racing.. Going down the 1320 only last for 13secs or so.. Road racing you have to downshift upshift, etc..
I'd say different types of wear. In drag racing you can achieve high shock loads on a launch and break stuff. On the road course you can achieve high temperatures and other stuff. 1 Transmission case on the drag strip for me and 1 head gasket on the road course for me too.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

True, but its just wear and tear.. It can also be user error instead of mechanical...
Old Jun 8, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

13 seconds if you're doing it wrong
Old Jun 8, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

I was sayn at least 13secs...
Old Jun 11, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

I was sayn at least 13secs...
should be, worst case 13 seconds. if you're in a IX and not hitting 12's, you're doing it wrong.