Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO IX MR 155,000 mile maintenance

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EVO IX MR 155,000 mile maintenance

Well the saga continues. I looked at the odometer the other day and realized I was do for fluid changes. The last round was done at about 120,000 miles when I had the timing belt, water pump, and another clutch put in, but at 150k, it's time again. Changed the tranny fluid, TC fluid, rear diff fluid, and engine oil. Topped off the other fluids, and when I get a day off I'm going to flush my coolant system.

I used OEM Diaqueen for the TC and rear diff, and Mopar 75w-85 GL-4 fully synthetic transmission fluid for the tranny. I had Amsoil 75w-90 GL-4 fluid in the tranny from the last change, but that always scared me because it's not an EXACT equivalent. I found the Mopar stuff at a local dealership, which was nice because I always had to order the Amsoil, or OEM Diaqueen fluids. Now when I need to do work at home, I can just run down the street, and this stuff is exactly the same as the Diaqueen, only synthetic. I can't tell if it's just in my head, but the transmission seems smoother with the switch.

next on the maintenance list will be the coolant system flush/fill, and replacing the throttle body shaft seals, fuel injector seals, and possibly replacing the IC piping with hard pipes, and a bigger LICP to make sure I have no leaks there.

I've had people ask me about the mods I have...like why after a run in with a furry woodland creature did I go with another stock intercooler, but install a sparktech COP system? lol

to answer that once and for all, I'm not modding for power, or really modding at all. I'm modding for reliability. The sparktech COP system is better than the stock setup, and one of my stock coils was going bad anyway, so why not? to replace the stock wires and coils would have been just as expensive. As for the intercooler, I have no use for a larger intercooler because I have no mods other than a catback, and don't plan on having the car tuned, or any new mods added for a long time, so what's the benefit?

The car is fast enough the way it is for the racing that I do, and I love how reliable it's been despite the beating I put on it daily. The EVO is the best car I've ever owned, hands down.

Last edited by ODUB; May 14, 2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn 155k miles makes me happy to buy one
Old May 15, 2010, 08:13 AM

I just rolled 93k miles on mine. I hope to be up here with you guys sooner/later! So this is always good to see!
Old May 15, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

i dont see why you DONT do a simple mail tune... pop in a MBC and do a e-mail tune and you'd get a huge increase in power without sacrificing even a tad of reliability. i bet like 30 whp easily. i dont get you......
Old May 15, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

quick question how do you flush your coolent, do you actually "flush it" or you just drain the radiator and fill it up again??
Old May 15, 2010, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

most of the time when changing coolant, you just drain and fill. there are machines you can use to flush the coolant, or what some people do is drain, fill with water, run it to temp, rinse and repeat a couple times, then refill with coolant.
Old May 15, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there were just one thing to do to an Evo, it would be to get rid of the pig rich factory tune, and it costs way less than a catback. I understand your reasoning for reliability, because I am the same way. My 03 just rolled over 100k, and is just now about to get tuned for the first time. I can't wait!
Old May 15, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
i dont see why you DONT do a simple mail tune... pop in a MBC and do a e-mail tune and you'd get a huge increase in power without sacrificing even a tad of reliability. i bet like 30 whp easily. i dont get you......
I have other things to worry about than just what i'm doing with my car. I drive it, race it, maintain it. Other than that, I stay pretty busy with work, gf, and life. I just never get around to doing things. Also, like i said, I've got a lot of other things going on more important than modding my car. i got the catback almost 5 years ago when I bought the car. i don't get why it's so hard for you to understand that i just like to leave my car alone and drive it. as for a mail in tune, I don't have time for my car to just sit in the garage while I wait for the ECU to go out, get tuned, then come back.
Old May 15, 2010, 05:05 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ODUB

iam not sure why you think AMSOIL is not exact match for the evo tranny,,, so lets start whith real life cases, we maybe have over 200 evos running it and all have come back with saying great results and i know what are the long term consecuenses of these evo's, they will maybe eventualy open the trannys and to find that AMSOIL has done a great job at protecting bearings, and gears the main components.

Also, remember MTG GL4 meets the OEM spec otherwise AMSOIL would not put their name out their and try and say MTG replaces Diaqueen they would loose more business that win,,,
Also, MTG 75W90 is a multivoscocity the first number tells you how the oil will flow and lubricate at cool temps the second number 90 will tell you how it will lubricate at operating temps.

i understand sometimes facs need to be explainned, so i hope this helps you understand a little better. let me know if any more questions arise.
Old May 15, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
ODUB

iam not sure why you think AMSOIL is not exact match for the evo tranny,,, so lets start whith real life cases, we maybe have over 200 evos running it and all have come back with saying great results and i know what are the long term consecuenses of these evo's, they will maybe eventualy open the trannys and to find that AMSOIL has done a great job at protecting bearings, and gears the main components.

Also, remember MTG GL4 meets the OEM spec otherwise AMSOIL would not put their name out their and try and say MTG replaces Diaqueen they would loose more business that win,,,
Also, MTG 75W90 is a multivoscocity the first number tells you how the oil will flow and lubricate at cool temps the second number 90 will tell you how it will lubricate at operating temps.
I'm not saying anything bad about AMSOIL. I'm a dealer myself lol But it's not an EXACT equivalent. It's good stuff, don't get me wrong, I'm just paranoid. It did seem to run better once it warmed up, but the stuff I've got in there right now runs smooth right off the bat just like the Diaqueen did. 75w-90 is supposed to be for the 5speed, not the 6speed. that's what's recommended for the 5 speed, so i don't doubt there are tons of EVO's out there running it with no issues. I'm sure there are a lot of 6 speeds out there running it too, but it's still not exactly what's supposed to be in the 6 speed. I personally like this new stuff, and will likely stick with it. I still use Amsoil motor oil, and other lubricants religiously.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:41 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
I'm not saying anything bad about AMSOIL. I'm a dealer myself lol But it's not an EXACT equivalent. It's good stuff, don't get me wrong, I'm just paranoid. It did seem to run better once it warmed up, but the stuff I've got in there right now runs smooth right off the bat just like the Diaqueen did. 75w-90 is supposed to be for the 5speed, not the 6speed. that's what's recommended for the 5 speed, so i don't doubt there are tons of EVO's out there running it with no issues. I'm sure there are a lot of 6 speeds out there running it too, but it's still not exactly what's supposed to be in the 6 speed. I personally like this new stuff, and will likely stick with it. I still use Amsoil motor oil, and other lubricants religiously.
I respect that
i still think you should when you get time free look into it and you will find that MTG GL4 is comp.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice to see an IX tuned for going the distance. How much power are you making with those mods?
Old May 16, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[/QUOTE]As for a mail in tune, I don't have time for my car to just sit in the garage while I wait for the ECU to go out, get tuned, then come back.[/QUOTE]

Just letting you know, that any tuner should be able to email you the ecu's tuned file and you can upload it yourself, pending you have a laptop with the appropriate programs downloaded and the required cables
Old May 16, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by InitialE
Nice to see an IX tuned for going the distance. How much power are you making with those mods?
lol what mods? I've got a catback, COP, and no tune. I'd assume I'm somewhere near stock.
Old May 16, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

153,000 here. best time with the car was 12.7@115mph, (drag racing on runflats ftl!) Helix cams too. (what kind of cams? hahaha) They've been in the car for 100k now. (Might be time for some S2s)

I love the Evo. No other car I've owned has taken as much abuse and kept smiling.

Quick Reply: EVO IX MR 155,000 mile maintenance