Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Calaway Road

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Calaway Road

Yesterday found my navigator (also know as spouse) and I in Calaway, Nebraska. Our destination was Arnold, Nebraska, about 23 miles away. The road up from Kearney, Nebraska, through Calaway, all the way to Arnold, is known as the Calaway Road.

Years ago, this was a gravel road set along mile sections. There were few curves, only abrupt corners best taken at 20mph or less. Then they tar matted it and some of the abrupt corners were changed to curves. Then it went through another upgrade with all the amenities you expect of a secondary highway.

The old Calaway Road ended three miles East of Arnold. But, during this final upgrade the state decided to build an entirely new road from Calaway to Arnold. This road joins the road into Arnold from the South about 10 miles South of Arnold. The old road cuts through some of the prettiest country in Nebraska right at the base of the sandhills.

As we left Calaway I realized we were on the old road. This was the first time I had driven it in a quarter of a century. Well, it appears a quarter of a century is probably the amount of time that has passed since this road has seen serious maintenance. It is covered with potholes like freckles on a kid's face in summer, some extending all the way across one lane. Along with potholes the edge of the paving is crumbling – there never was a shoulder.

Of course, this caused me to want to drive as fast as possible. BTW, there is almost a total absence of traffic on this road. You have to use both lanes, zigzagging back and forth to miss the big holes. And then, after nice curves you encounter abrupt corners. On the way to Arnold I hit two holes. So, wanting to better my score, we came back the same way. Only hit one this time and only because there was a pickup in the other lane and no room to maneuver.

So, anyway, this was the most fun I had had in a long time and so I wanted to share this great drive with you.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive through nebraska once a month. I guess I was wrong there is something fun to do in NE
Old May 21, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Yeah, I take it you are running I-80 across the state. They stuck it in the Platte Valley to keep construction costs down (pancake flat) but the location doesn't provide much scenery.

About the time I purchased my Evo I started dating a lady in Loveland, Colorado. So, anytime I could arrange a long weekend I'd head out there - lots of miles on I-80. We've been married for five years but we both have family in Colorado. So, except for a little less frequency, the driving on I-80 hasn't changed.