Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

UICP Blowing Off Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2010, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question UICP Blowing Off Throttle Body

Hello evom this is my first actual post on this website. I have already searched this issue with no luck so far so here it goes. A couple of weeks ago I got my evo ix gsr tuned at AMS. The car went in compeletly stock and AMS did all the work and tune. The mods included tbe, fmic, licp, wb255, rc1000s, speed element air filter, WB02, boost gauge, and E85.

The car ran great for the first week I had it. Then I got a check engine light. I went to AMS it turned out being I code from my shaft seals leaking (I want to say it had to do with my idle air control but not really sure). AMS lower the idle and this fixed the check engine light. The car ran great from there but I wanted to fix the leaking seals.

So I went ahead and got the replacement seals from mil spec. AMS installed the seals onto the throttle body. Now my uicp keeps popping off my throttle body at full throttle/boost. No matter how hard I tighten the clamp or what clamp style I use it keeps popping off after going threw a couple pulls at full throttle. I upgraded the clamp to a T-bolt clamp and still the same problem. I am wondering if this has anything to do with my stock uicp or stock diverter valve. Or if anything else that could be causing the problem. Thanks

Last edited by tpdc2; May 22, 2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: formating
Old May 22, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try this:

spray a coat of hair spray into the coupler. use TBOLT clamp to secure it. let it dry, and you shouldnt see this problem ever again..
Old May 22, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by *constant_boost
try this:

spray a coat of hair spray into the coupler. use TBOLT clamp to secure it. let it dry, and you shouldnt see this problem ever again..
+1 used this method on a friends car and the pipe hasen't blown off again. Sounds crazy but it works great! just be sure to clean the t/b and coupler with brakeclean to remove all the oil.
Old May 22, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

i had the same problem. i purchased T bolts, sprayed the damn thing with my sisters hairspray and it still popped off.

having the uicp reinstalled, popped off for a few times got the uicp portion that goes on the tb worned out and expanded.

my solution to the problem? i replaced it with ETS UICP and never had the problem again.
Old May 22, 2010, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

+1 Hair spray and Tbolt clamps
Old May 22, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Just out of curiosity, did you make sure your BOV was installed correctly? Not doubting the guys at AMS or your tech skills if you replaced your own pipes, etc... But it's a simple mistake that I myself made at one point that could easily be overlooked.
Old May 22, 2010, 07:53 PM

Sorry I forgot to add I used hairspray on the uicp.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

+1 it does work. i had the same problem.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Foolproof
+1 Hair spray and Tbolt clamps
+2 on this. I have tried it when I had a turbo honda and it works. GL
Old May 23, 2010, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

everything has to be clean for it to work best! did you use the "max hold" kind but really if it isn't working now would be as good of time as any to maybe upgrade to the samco hose kit or a set of new pipes!
Old May 23, 2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by KidEvo
Just out of curiosity, did you make sure your BOV was installed correctly? Not doubting the guys at AMS or your tech skills if you replaced your own pipes, etc... But it's a simple mistake that I myself made at one point that could easily be overlooked.

I don't think they had to remove the bov.. I could be wrong though. I don't know if this helps but I put down 388/405 on 34 psi. I just want it fixed. Like I said I tried the hairspray already maybe I'll look into getting a new uicp. Any other ideas? I think I'm going to bring it up to AMS again.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

The problem with the stock air flow system is it routes the valve cover gases back through the MAF (intake pipe) and that puts oil vapor on everything from the LICP, FMIC, and UICP as well as throttle body and intake manifold. If you have not changed or cleaned this out it can cause the stock couplers to become oil soaked and swell, then, no matter how clean you think you get it, it will not stay on. If you want to just change the couplers or attempt to clean yours very thoroughly and re-install it with Max hold hairspray as mentioned above. The key to the hairspray trick working is to get it on and the clamp tightened while the hairspray is still wet and then letting it sit long enough for the hairspray to dry and "set". Properly sized t-bolt clamps are critical also.

Josh
Old May 23, 2010, 09:01 AM
Former Sponsor

You just need a proper sized tclamp and tighten the **** out of it.. most guys done crank tbolt clamps as tight as they should and thats why they pop off.

hairspray belongs in hair =-p

Cheers!
Old May 23, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most t bolts are 3" thick, for the throttle body, you need a thinner one so it can tighten down behind the notch.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

time for an upgrade. ETS FTW --> they include nice couplers and tbolts as well. they hold up pretty good and the fitment is great!

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/M...pvbjqshafg97r5

Last edited by josel_atr; May 24, 2010 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: UICP Blowing Off Throttle Body