Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ODB2 bluetooth + phone app ???

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ODB2 bluetooth + phone app ???

Did a search, didn't find any chatter on this......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WIREL...motiveQ5fTools

Says this module will work with all cars made after 1996....should work on the Evo, right?

Found this app in the android market:
http://ian-hawkins.com/?p=6

What's the general consensus on this? If it isn't immediately dismissed as a non-option, I'll grab one and do a review here.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

they have a similar app for the iphone that i have been dying to try out and i believe someone on here did a while ago but the wireless OBD2 adapter was superrrrr expensive but this bluetooth one your showing looks like a pretty sweet deal
Old May 23, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

not exactly what you are looking for but AEM is working in this direction as well

http://www.aemelectronics.com/x-wifi...igle7eadk5eik5
Old May 24, 2010, 06:00 AM

bought it last night....shipped today.
Old May 24, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know how it works, Im interested myself.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few things to keep in mind:

First off the evo VIII and IX have no way to monitor boost levels via this tool without getting yourself a X (or JDM) map sensor (and associated ROM mods), you will not be able to calculate your MPG's, as well as AIT's and perhaps a few others. It is not by fault of the device you are buying, but simply a lack of capability in the stock ECU. I know this because I'm rocking the accessport, which plugs into the obdII port and gives me all the info there as well. It could just be that Cobb may not have their info correct, but they've suggest MPG calculations would not be happening because of the limitation I just mentioned. The ebay page doesn't mention whether or not there is software you can use to configure the tool to display information relevant to what YOU want to see,so thats another thing to keep in mind - who know's how they've laid it out, and if you'll find the display useful or no. Anyway, back on subject:

Both Innovate and PLX offer products that accomplish this as well, as well as give you the option to add whatever sensors you'd like to their "modular sensor chain." PLX refers to theirs as "IMFD" and Innovate calls theirs, "MTS." They both amout to the same thing: you piggy back all of their sensors together and you have the option of outputting to a datalogger, laptop, multigauge, or series of gauges, or all of them at once. Both products also allow you to output ALL of this sensor data via local wifi to your iphone or droid (or any other smart phone with wifi and web capabilities). <---- It's that last bit that makes it particularly more useful than other obdII readers with our cars in particular.

PLX calls their product Kiwi (you'd need to get the Kiwi +imfd) to have it output all of your display modules to your iphone/smartphone). Innovate calls their product ot-2.

In closing: you're probably not going to find this device too useful on its own, as everything that it reports are things you can gather via a tactrix cable +laptop (something you'd need to modify the parameters you were looking at anyway). With no wideband, you will see your LTFT and STFT, but again, no way to modify what you are seeing. You also didn't spend that much money on it, and it may be fun to start poking around with some of the stuff. At $20.00, it may at least provide you with a glimpse of what outputting to phone as a multi-gauge would be like. I suspect it is good for the casual glimpse but cumbersome to try to use as a permanent multi-gauge. I notice also that you mention bluetooth and not wifi. I personally think both will offer a very similar experience: nice for casual use but I'm uncertain I would trust the responsiveness in all cases at all times.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; May 24, 2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
A few things to keep in mind:
Great info. Yeah, i wasn't expecting this to be an amazingly perfect solution. In fact, it's just as you said -- a way to start poking around and getting exposure to some of the information that is available. I'll be sure to update this post with my findings and thoughts about how things perform.