Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I need help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help

I have a 2003 Evo.

I put in the XS Engineering Hard Pipe Kit in which requires a smaller battery due to the fact that the upper intercooler pipe takes up a portion of the stock battery tray. Recently I have had trouble starting my car after storage this past winter. I got it started once after having it on a charger for a couple of days. It ran fine all day except when I went to start it the next morning it wouldn't turn over. Since then I've had it on the charger but it still won't start.

I've been told it could either be the alternator or the battery. I originally purchased my kit from Vividracing. I called them up trying to find a replacement only to find out that XS Engineering has gone out of buisness and now I can't find a replacement sealed battery.

If anyone has any ideas to help me figure out my problem it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

battery is dead, gotta keep it on a trickle charger if your not driving the car.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by casper980
battery is dead, gotta keep it on a trickle charger if your not driving the car.
x2
Old Jun 1, 2010, 06:46 PM

Here is the easiest way to see what is going on.

Borrow or install a "known good battery", fire up the car and check the charging voltage. If it is above 13v. then it is your small battery, If it is low, then it is the charging system.

The reason you "don't" use the current battery, is it may give a false reading if there is a bad cell or too dead.

Small batteries are susceptible to any amp draw and their A.H rating is low to begin with, that is why a trickle or float charger is good. $7.99 at Harbor Freight.

Good luck and get it fixed!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

My car was down for pretty much the whole winter......I never started it during the winter due to the fact that I stored it in a garage away from my house and when I finally got it back on the road in March I had to jump it a few times before it was able to crank on it's own, and even when it was able to crank on it's own you can tell it was strugling, and this is a full size battery so I say try giving it a few days and if it still is giving you problems then it's prob. time for a new battery
Old Jun 2, 2010, 08:53 AM

take the battery to your local auto parts store. they will charge it for free if it needs it. During the charge they will test it and tell you if the battery is bad. It takes them an hour or two so drop off the battery and go back for it later.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How long can you go without running the car before the battery dies?

How often and how frequent should a car be run to keep a battery good thru a deployment?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

typically its a good idea to start the car once a week to insure that its stays running.

from my experience with car batteries it varies from battery to battery on how long it takes for it to go dead. once it is dead though most dont like to keep a good charge after
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iicemanr6
typically its a good idea to start the car once a week to insure that its stays running.

from my experience with car batteries it varies from battery to battery on how long it takes for it to go dead. once it is dead though most dont like to keep a good charge after
Whats a good amount of time to run it? Like 10 to 15 minutes once a week?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Berts24
My car was down for pretty much the whole winter......I never started it during the winter due to the fact that I stored it in a garage away from my house ...
If you love your car you should find a way to start it at least once every 2 weeks just to let the fluids curculate. Condensation can build up in a non running vehicle and cause issues.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

^ I hear ya but, I was too busy trying to figure out how I was going to pay for my T-Case