Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

timing belt install procedure

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing belt install procedure

i just recieved my block from a shop that got a full rebuild and now I need to put a timing and balance belts on it. What is the procedure on both? Thanks for advice
Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you've never done it before, I wouldn't attempt it. It's a lengthy process.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

hope these help took a whyll for me to find them when i was looking into doing it.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-belt-how.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...placement.html
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:37 PM

Get some expert help to put the T-belt on or you made be rebuilding the engine again if you are not quit sure.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

i'm contemplating this as well..or have shop do it
Old Jun 9, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by domantas
i just recieved my block from a shop that got a full rebuild and now I need to put a timing and balance belts on it. What is the procedure on both? Thanks for advice
If you are doing it with the engine out it's not that hard(if you have done timing belts before). Just get the service manual CD and go through the procedure. Just make sure you have the two tools to adjust tension.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goldenevo
get some expert help to put the t-belt on or you made be rebuilding the engine again if you are not quit sure.
+1
Old Jun 9, 2010, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

make sure you turn the motor over by hand after you do it, and do it a few times if its the first time ever doing this, maybe find a local member as well that has done it and offer them some beers. Worst feeling in the world is thinking u have it one right and turning the key and all your valves going byebye
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OverBoostedEvo
make sure you turn the motor over by hand after you do it, and do it a few times if its the first time ever doing this, maybe find a local member as well that has done it and offer them some beers. Worst feeling in the world is thinking u have it one right and turning the key and all your valves going byebye
exactly just pay someone to do it right the first time ive bent my valves before and it sucks
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:02 AM

Timing belt isnt even hard at all. my first time doing it on a evo was a breeze. just throw the lower timing belt cover and crank pulley on to line up TDC. then throw the valve cover on and line up the marks on the cam gear and valve cover, slip the belt on.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

i had my shot put it on, but my evo 9 motor had no valve cover on, so they aligned with evo 8 valve cover that they had laying around. Today I brought my moror home and put my valve cover on, timing belt off... Dont swap the valve covers on these motors
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

In that second write up it stated to remove the crankshaft bolt and he used an impact gun. I thought impact on the crank was a big no no. Or is that just overblown.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love to do a timing belt job with the motor out. It would be done within a few hours, if that!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jy951
In that second write up it stated to remove the crankshaft bolt and he used an impact gun. I thought impact on the crank was a big no no. Or is that just overblown.
I've used an impact gun on every single timing belt job I've done, which is a couple hundred. I've never had any problems using an impact and to be honest with some cars, it's the only way to get the damn thing off even with an acetlyene torch. If you were to use a chain wrench on the crank pulley and a breaker bar, you'll either have one hell of a time doing it by hand, or you'll mark up the crank pulley from the chain biting in (most likely, but not always).
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
If you've never done it before, I wouldn't attempt it. It's a lengthy process.
and i did. Everything worked out flawlesly as long you take ur time on it. Cam aligment tool would save lots of time, because cams jumps away from TDC when you let go. It was my firs engine pull ever and now I pulled it out second time for the clutch job. Amazingly now im able to pull and put it back in in one day. I imagine it would take me like 1 hour to pull my supras engine out, its way more simple, less wiring and all that

Last edited by domantas; Jun 29, 2010 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: timing belt install procedure