Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is this sound normal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:43 PM
Ru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this sound normal?

Installed the turbo xs shorty intake and I get this crazy sound that sounds like an air leak? but only happens when the turbo kicks in, so I just figured it's me hearing the turbo a lot louder now and obviously hearing the BOV now. It's just ridiculously loud compared to stock, so just wondering if it's normal. Stupid question? Finally, first install on my first turbo charged car, so newbie indeed Answers?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no, that's not normal. your flux capacitor is leaking through, causing boost, vacuum leaks, and coolant leaks. you should park the car somewhere safe, like a barn, behind a billboard, or in a cave until you can get it fixed and get back to 1985. good luck.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:01 AM

lmaoo
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

If it's the stock turbo, sounds like a boost leak.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

^ Ditto
Sounds like a leak. Get it pressure tested and if your car isn't tuned make sure you do because it won't run like it should without one!
Old Jun 7, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Then again, its possible this intake you added is making this sound which would not be an issue.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

umm I would bet lunch and a 30 rack that your just hearing the turbo spool much louder now. Enjoy! Ive never really heard any of my boost leaks making any noise really...and ive had plenty.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like this guy ^ said, you are fine. You went to an open cone style intake, your turbo will be alot louder.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Who ever said get pressure tested is a dummy its just your intake look at the 3 conections and tighten. Your definatally just hearing your turbo. Next you should get a turbo back exhaust and a ECU reflash and a manuel boost controller. Its the best bang for your buck combination and the car will be a whole new beast.

Congrats on your first turbo car my man.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:55 PM
Ru

Originally Posted by SwishaSweet
Who ever said get pressure tested is a dummy its just your intake look at the 3 conections and tighten. Your definatally just hearing your turbo. Next you should get a turbo back exhaust and a ECU reflash and a manuel boost controller. Its the best bang for your buck combination and the car will be a whole new beast.

Congrats on your first turbo car my man.
Thanks man, yea I figured. Def going for the TBE, MBC and reflash next. Was reading some recent article about those mods being the best value for the cost. Still trying to find this tuner that someone told me was in the San Fernando valley where I live, but couldn't find em listed anywhere. Need someone good in LA area.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:45 PM

YEah i too got to read up some more on the first mods n get it rite on the first time. LOL
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flux capacitor...lol classic. like everyone said its probably just the noise from the turbo spooling
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:20 PM

Cheers to your cherry popper mod

Yup, that's the sound of the stock compressor. Other turbos make completely different sounds and the stock 16g makes a particularly loud hissing sound. A GT42r sounds like a high pitched jet engine and the k03's in old volks are pretty tame sounding. That's just the particular sound of the stock evo compressor.

And i'd reccomend direct boost control over an MBC. It's alot safer for starters, and you can get exactly as much boost as you need, when you need. It is extremely well documented in the EcuFlash section of Evo 1-9-tuning. Value is good for piping and intakes, but I'd spend my *** off on an amazing direct boost or gear based boost tune.

Good luck on the car, and enjoy it!

Last edited by fasterbater; Jun 23, 2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
no, that's not normal. your flux capacitor is leaking through, causing boost, vacuum leaks, and coolant leaks. you should park the car somewhere safe, like a barn, behind a billboard, or in a cave until you can get it fixed and get back to 1985. good luck.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:30 PM

Lol. You guys are messed up.

Quick Reply: Is this sound normal?