Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is it safe for passengers to ride in the back with a harness bar?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not it there 6ft 7" like me it would suck. But not everyone is a bigfoot.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:12 PM

LMAO at all the hate this forum has to offer...

I can't inquire about something without being attacked, What about those driving around with Voltex wings as high as the roof on their dailys. They're just posing ricers right?

So unless the car is 100% you're posing because it's just a daily driver right?

Never mind just staying planted on those occasional tight turns right?

Last edited by Marroccowned; Jun 11, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
even with all the hate, there has been good information posted here. you should be able to read and see what you should listen to, and what to discard as ignorance.

bottom line: no, it's not safe to have people ride in the back with a harness bar. harnesses on the street aren't the worst idea ever. I know plenty of people who run them. that said, if all you want are harnesses, there are harnesses that don't require a bar, and you can detatch them when not in use. a guy i autocross with uses this type. when he's on the street, he uses is stock belts, then when it's time to race, he uses the harnesses.

good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by ODUB
even with all the hate, there has been good information posted here. you should be able to read and see what you should listen to, and what to discard as ignorance.

bottom line: no, it's not safe to have people ride in the back with a harness bar. harnesses on the street aren't the worst idea ever. I know plenty of people who run them. that said, if all you want are harnesses, there are harnesses that don't require a bar, and you can detatch them when not in use. a guy i autocross with uses this type. when he's on the street, he uses is stock belts, then when it's time to race, he uses the harnesses.

good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Well now that I am informed about it not being safe to have a harness bar and it defeats owning a 4 door car if you have one, I won't be getting one unless this becomes a race only car.

As for the hate, it was just unnecessary is all I wanted to point out.

Guess I'll lurk more
Old Jun 12, 2010, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

As Kanye West so eloquently put it, "There will always be haters, that's just the way it is. Hater ninjas marry hater biscuits, and have hater kids." Substitutions bolded, but you get the idea.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Marroccowned

Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hitman28
racing harnesses suck. there a pain in the *** to strap up, etc. i had them in my z for 2 weeks before i ditched them.
x10000!!! i bought a autopower 4 point.. with takata Harness's.. YES! they look baller as hell, but they are a PITA
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

reading this thread completely changed my mind i really wanted a harness but after all the input i dont think i do anymore
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:16 PM

It wouldn't be safe, but the guy a few posts above with only the driver side harness doesnt seem like such a bad idea if you REALLLLY want a harness.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

I too was thinking of the harness bar but I won't be taking my car to the track all the time so I don't see the point of having a harness bar other than look. Not to mention, the annoying seat belt warning tone.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

As everyone else has stated, No it is not safe. One sharp stop and their head is banging off of the cross member...
Old Jul 4, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
As everyone else has stated, No it is not safe. One sharp stop and their head is banging off of the cross member...
I agree that it's probably not the best for passengers but come on, if the rear passengers have their seatbelts on, then their head isn't going to hit the bar. That's why the rear seatbelts have shoulder straps, not just a lap belt, to keep the them secure agains the seat during a sharp stop or impact.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
without viewing a high speed camera I wouldn't know for sure where a body ends up during a crash. I can guarantee you arms, legs and packages are going to be all over the place.
To assume a shoulder belt holds you tight to the seat back is not dealing with the laws of physics though.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Marroccowned
LMAO at all the hate this forum has to offer...

I can't inquire about something without being attacked, What about those driving around with Voltex wings as high as the roof on their dailys. They're just posing ricers right?

So unless the car is 100% you're posing because it's just a daily driver right?

Never mind just staying planted on those occasional tight turns right?

I don't think you would have received such negative remarks if you would have been clear on why you want the Takata harnesses. You ask what's basically a ricer noob question and are too sensitive about the responses. I'm sure you could of found your answer if you knew how to search and then no one would of had to hurt your feelings. Good luck.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meltdown
I agree that it's probably not the best for passengers but come on, if the rear passengers have their seatbelts on, then their head isn't going to hit the bar. That's why the rear seatbelts have shoulder straps, not just a lap belt, to keep the them secure agains the seat during a sharp stop or impact.
On the contrary, if the passenger is within the adult ergo, it is quite possible to hit the bar especially in a rear end collision. The shoulder strap does not account for head motion, only torso. Furthermore, depending on the dynamics of the crash, it can become a projectile if not installed properly.

Quick Reply: Is it safe for passengers to ride in the back with a harness bar?