Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

mild whine sound 2003EVO8

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mild whine sound 2003EVO8

driving the evo8 2003 I can hear a slight whining sound that fluctuate a bit its pretty mild really but when ur going low rpm 4th 5th gear u hear it most , the weird thing is I believe i also here it in neutral at times and sometimes it wont make the sound and sometimes it does I'v heard the major death whine can be transfer case but this isnt loud enough to hurt ears but it is loud enough to be annoying at times when its worst not sure and if it is transfer case how much could i expect to spend to have it rebuilt ? appreciate all the help here this is a great website ! was thinking possible wheel bearing or differential i want to say it sounds like its coming from the rear end but i can't tell for sure , recently had the car dyno tested and he never heard a problem but ofcourse it was so loud in there i dont think we would have known
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the T-Case whine of death. Does it only whine when you're on the gas? Is it a high pitch whine?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainBoosT
driving the evo8 2003 I can hear a slight whining sound that fluctuate a bit its pretty mild really but when ur going low rpm 4th 5th gear u hear it most , the weird thing is I believe i also here it in neutral at times and sometimes it wont make the sound and sometimes it does I'v heard the major death whine can be transfer case but this isnt loud enough to hurt ears but it is loud enough to be annoying at times when its worst not sure and if it is transfer case how much could i expect to spend to have it rebuilt ? appreciate all the help here this is a great website ! was thinking possible wheel bearing or differential i want to say it sounds like its coming from the rear end but i can't tell for sure , recently had the car dyno tested and he never heard a problem but ofcourse it was so loud in there i dont think we would have known
here is your TC rebuild prices buddy

http://www.sheptrans.com/transcase/evo.htm
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We cannot fix whiny wives or girlfriends, please do not send them to us.
LMAO!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the T-case as well... follow that link Rockman gave you, but a rebuild is around 1k...

you should be find as long as it isnt loud loud
Old Jun 13, 2010, 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

does it sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdlocDJpfsI
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it could be your belts,mine have a slight whine at neutral and through the gears. go in your engine bay when car is running and fluctuate the throttle while near the belt area.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:34 AM

thanks guys its way more mild then in that video so not sure but I'm going to have it checked out if it was the transfer case would it still do it in neutral ? cause mine does at times in neutral
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:14 AM

These cars have a lot of whine. Gear whine from the trans is sometimes audible. I've had t-case death whine. It whines no matter what, on or off the throttle, and is loud. That being said, I recently replaced my broken OEM trans with another OEM unit, and each had its respective "whine" in different rpm's and speeds. If it is not as loud as the video shown I would not be too concerned.

Edit: It also gets louder as you increase load/speed. In other words, if you floor it in 3rd or 4th from around 3000 rpm till redline, does is get progressively louder? If not I doubt it is your t-case. People on here are so quick to say "its your t-case", but how many of you guys have experienced this first hand?

Last edited by paintballer419; Jun 13, 2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

mine does the same thing, It has something to do with my powersteering pump i'm pretty sure, its a very faint whine, I can here it if I roll on the throttle, or when I rev it, when I cruise I can here it whine on low throttle from about 2.8k to 3.4k after that, it goes away. It also doesnt make the noise when i'm off the gas. I thought it was the TC too but now I have no clue, I just turn my music up so I cant hear it
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had t-case whine...and it continuously whines not in any certain gear, rpm, on/off throttle...just anytime the car is in motion...so if it's just in certain gears or on the throttle it's probably trans related....not t-case