Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

If the CF wing is functional, then why no wing on 04 Evo RS?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2003, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it was is in car and driver.....when they compared the 2 evos(RS and GSR). They said that when sppeds exceeded like 85 MPH (not sure what the exact number was) the wing was actually providing downforce where they could actually tell the difference between the 2. (again if I remeber right)They said the differential was noticable at lower speeds but the wing actually helped keep the car planted at higher speeds
Old Nov 16, 2003, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by favre95
I think it was is in car and driver.....when they compared the 2 evos(RS and GSR). They said that when sppeds exceeded like 85 MPH (not sure what the exact number was) the wing was actually providing downforce where they could actually tell the difference between the 2. (again if I remeber right)They said the differential was noticable at lower speeds but the wing actually helped keep the car planted at higher speeds
Hehe, we must have posted the same info like 30 seconds apart from each other At least I know I'm not crazy
Old Nov 16, 2003, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

HA sorry dude....
Old Nov 16, 2003, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to state sometihng here, when these guys say "race model" they don't mean hey this car is ready to go race it has everything... They basicly mean this car is stripped of useless parts and focuses mainly on power, the main intent is for the car to be bought, taken to a race team have aftermarket parts added to it and then taken to a track.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My opinion

I think everyone is missing it. I believe this car is made for autocross. The vast majority of all autox events take place at speeds under 70mph (depending somewhat on the car ). If we assume that the larger rear spoiler on the Evo creates a significant amount of downforce at 80+, then for autox it is "non-essential". You'd never get going fast enough for it to have a positive effect. Of course, I also wouldn't discount the cost-saving idea as well. I think both reasons are the most-likely explanation.

BTW, I tried to get my car without any spoiler. I'm not a big fan of them, but obviously you couldn't get an '03 without one of the 2 spoilers. But the more I looked at the high wing, the more I realized it sort of matched the character of the car - swiss-cheese front end, flared fenders, ground-effects kit, etc. The front and sides are so aggressive-looking, I feel like the wing in back sort of balances it out.

Besides, look at the E30 M3. My friend took one to a Porsche Club of America autox as soon as they came out. No one knew what it was and laughed at all the bodywork on it -flared fenders, wide wheels, raised rear spoiler. I mean, its just a little 3-series, and it doesn't even have the 6-cylinder, just the little 4! After everyone's first run, he had fastest time of the day. Suddenly there was a lot of silence in the pits around his cars. By the end of the event, only 2 modified 911 Turbos had beaten his best time. And that was the last time that PCA chapter allowed non-Porsches to autocross with them.

Joe
http://www.joe250.com
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E30M3

E30 M3:
Attached Thumbnails If the CF wing is functional, then why no wing on 04 Evo RS?-e30m3.jpg  
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Mmm, gotta love those boxed fenders, but they really got them from another old school rally champ...

Last edited by 4G63>OOOO; Nov 17, 2003 at 08:52 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

the wing is functional around 85mph....reduces lift...the said it in the comparison between the rs and the reg us evo in some mag
Old Nov 17, 2003, 09:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think 1qwk nailed it, but some of the other points were right on too. Cost cutting just as essential as the fact that non-essential parts for cars that will be race prepped have been removed. I dunno why they kept the Enkeis though. Granted they're light, but they could easily have shaved another $500+ with just that one change. Usually (if I remember correctly) the RS's have come from the factory with much cheaper wheels and tires.

That being said, if I ever buy an Evolution (which I doubt I will) it will probably be an RS.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Nov 17, 2003 at 09:12 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks hobie, i wish i could talk to mitsu direct i'd liek to give them so many ideas and opinions I have as well as other fellow dsm owners views... I truely think they should have followed the UK market on this Evo, being that they should have took off all the options like the wing and wwhat not, rims, brakes, A/C, radio, all that junk as too the emissions (well for the most part) And def. gave this car the option of the ACD/ YAW controllers... In fact I itnhk mitsu should focus on making the ACD/YAW options on all US Evo markets adn find another place to move the Emissions junk to. I know if it was possible i'd be the first one in line whatever the cost be, to have the ACD & YAW stuff added to my Evo. I can only dream though.....
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

What is with so many people who don't even track their Evo's wanting AYC and SACD? ANd yet I'm the only one wanting SMT, which is something that is incredibly beneficial to both cruisers and drivers? no missed shifts, no possible over revs and engine damage, comfort of an automatic when putzing around town, and can keep both hands on the wheel at all times?
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

i want it becasue i prefer the adjsutable 65/35 distribution and front lsd vs what is in the car now, also the SYAW is much safer in bad weather condition driving as well as other things... to each his own

PS i don't know about the SMT being more useful for daily driving, people can barely drive good with a standard tranny let alone sequential... I know For daily driving i'd hate to have to go through all those gears to get into a gear i wanted, but not having to use the clutch as often would be nice in a way.... for performance yah it's totally understandable. again everyone has differnet wants, would be nice to have everything optional...

Last edited by 1QWKEVO; Nov 17, 2003 at 10:41 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

for daily driving it simply can up through the gears and come down for you. You don't have to do anything, if you set it in fully manual mode, then you have the performance control for the track. But it is the best of both worlds. Once you drive it, It makes driving a clutch equipped manual feel like you've been driving in the stone ages.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
since you guys have mention the RS , and that it has been made stiffer do to
TIGHTER REFLEXES

The Lancer Evolution RS is fitted with a rear end cross bar that further improves handling by suppressing the motion of the body shell when cornering. Bolted to the frame near the trunk opening, the extruded aluminum cross bar bridges the spare wheel well, and is elliptically shaped for strength. The bar weighs only 0.35 kg (0.78 lb), and measures 965 mm x 45 mm x 20 mm.

can that be fitted on the current Evo 03 and will it make a difference ???
Old Nov 17, 2003, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

yes it can be fitted, as a matter of fact a lot of people already have this because it is available from cusco. i have it in my car for the past 3 months and it does make a difference. it is a direct bolt on with no drilling or nothing.

Quick Reply: If the CF wing is functional, then why no wing on 04 Evo RS?