Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

If the CF wing is functional, then why no wing on 04 Evo RS?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2003, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the CF wing is functional, then why no wing on 04 Evo RS?

I'm trying to settle on color and options on an Evo and while I don't like big wings on cars for cosmetic reasons, I was thinking that it was okay on the Evo because it was actually functional. Now that I see that the ultimate performance Evo (the '04 RS) is going to come without a wing, it really has me wondering if the wing is just a styling thing -- and if so, I don't want it.

Any thoughts?
Old Nov 15, 2003, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah i was wondering the same thing.

Anyhow, I dont mind getting the RS, actually it'll be easier for me to afford, but I sure will miss all the luxury items that the current
US spec GSR EVO's have
Old Nov 15, 2003, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see it as being a race model, look at the UK market with the GSR and the RS and RS2, one is a stripped down model, one is pretty much what we have, and the GSR is the high end all out package designed for one thing.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

The Evolution RS comes with no wing for two reasons, one is that is lowers the selling price of the car and two is that many of the RS's purchased will be used for racing and will likely get a different wing depending on the series and the owners preference. Remember that you can always purchase the carbon-fiber wing from Mitsubushi if that is the wing you prefer. Also if you want an RS and want the A/C, power windows and door locks; color-keyed mirrors and door-handles just select the Urban Jungle Package which adds them back to the car.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Well put EVO Neil. Funny thing is MITSU knows they are selling this car a race ready platform but I doubt they warranty this car for the same reason they sell it (for racing) LOL
Old Nov 15, 2003, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

RICHJ
Where did you get the idea it's the ultimate performance Evo?
Same hp, same trq, only difference is the front limited slip diff and a stripped version of what we have already. I dont think 180 pounds will make that big of a difference
Old Nov 15, 2003, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
In everyday driving I doubt you would notice a difference but, at the track 180lbs is a big difference. You would definately see it on the clock. Road race or drag race.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MYEVOVIII
RICHJ
Where did you get the idea it's the ultimate performance Evo?
Same hp, same trq, only difference is the front limited slip diff and a stripped version of what we have already. I dont think 180 pounds will make that big of a difference
I got that idea from the press releases on the RS:

"Lancer Evolution RS reflects the essence of high-performance value," said Finbarr O'Neill, co-chairman and chief executive officer of Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA). "We've boiled the cost-per-thrill ratio down to its lowest conceivable point, providing tuners and racing enthusiasts with more of what they need, and less of what they don't."

LESS IS MORE

When the difference between winning and losing can be measured in tenths of a second, the difference between the 3,321-lb Lancer Evolution and the 3,175-lb Lancer Evolution RS becomes significant.

To achieve a curb weight lower than the already-lean Lancer Evolution, the Lancer Evolution RS sheds several non-essential items . Most notable from outside, the RS is not bedecked with the Lancer Evolution's distinctive rear wing spoiler. The high-intensity discharge headlights also were deleted, as was the rear window wiper. Inside, RS drivers must make do without an air conditioning system or an AM/FM/CD audio system. There are no power mechanisms for the windows, locks, or side mirrors. Trunk compartment trim has been removed, as have vanity mirrors, rear assist grips, map lamps, and the parking brake lever's leather covering. An antilock brake system is not available."
Old Nov 15, 2003, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by hotrod2448
In everyday driving I doubt you would notice a difference but, at the track 180lbs is a big difference. You would definately see it on the clock. Road race or drag race.
I agree. On a road course I notice a big difference with and without a passenger in my Camaro. And it weighs at least 300 lbs. more than an Evo and has over 100 more HP at the wheels.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

The RS model is made for racing and people who do not want factory options. It does not come with the wing because the RS targets racers who do not want extra options.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RichJ

I agree. On a road course I notice a big difference with and without a passenger in my Camaro. And it weighs at least 300 lbs. more than an Evo and has over 100 more HP at the wheels.
So, how badly does your Camaro get smoked by the hp deficient Evo on the track?
Old Nov 16, 2003, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by mikec

So, how badly does your Camaro get smoked by the hp deficient Evo on the track?
I've never been on the track with an Evo before, so it's hard to say how the cars would compare. My best times at Summit Point are in the 1:27 range. If anyone here has lap times for SP, it'd be interesting to compare. Honestly though, lap times are a lot more about driver than car. A good driver in a "hp deficient" 200hp V6 Camaro would smoke a novice Evo driver.

Rich
Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

From what I heard each 100lbs you take off the car ,will take off 1/10 of a second in the quarter mile... This info is from one of the techs at Road Race in Cali....

Road racing I would bet would make a bigger difference..Not saying I know anything but what I heard
Old Nov 16, 2003, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly though, lap times are a lot more about driver than car. A good driver in a "hp deficient" 200hp V6 Camaro would smoke a novice Evo driver.

Rich
Seriously.
Driver is the determining factor in everything.
Go to LACR for example, you'll find Evo's ripping off 15.2-15.4, hell I even saw a 16 flat. Don't feel too bad. Even the LS1 guys out there would let a 15 second run out as well.

In a road course the Driver is even more influential.

You can have a novice driver in an auto C5 vette and he'll at least manage to pull a 14 out of it.
But give a novice driver a Z06 and put him on a good road course... and just watch him get passed up by 120 whp hondas.

From what I heard each 100lbs you take off the car ,will take off 1/10 of a second in the quarter mile.
That's a good rule of thumb. But there are other factors that play a huge role in it. (aside from the obvious 60 ft. / shifting points)

Horsepower and the car's base weight will play a huge role in determining how much weight will need to be shed.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Re: If the CF wing is functional, then why no wing on 04 Evo RS?

I'm trying to settle on color and options on an Evo and while I don't like big wings on cars for cosmetic reasons, I was thinking that it was okay on the Evo because it was actually functional. Now that I see that the ultimate performance Evo (the '04 RS) is going to come without a wing, it really has me wondering if the wing is just a styling thing -- and if so, I don't want it.

Any thoughts?
I think I remember seeing a Car and Driver article or video (may have been another mag, can't find it at the moment) that was testing out the RS. They said in the high speed turns and passes the back end of the RS got a little 'squirrly' above 86MPH (more than the standard Evo), which they stated was the point at which the stock high wing adds its downforce.

This is just what I remember from off the top of my head, I'll keep looking for the article/vid to see if there's any more info.

I'd agree with Evo Neil that price played a part, and also expects the tuners to add a wing specific to their needs.

EDIT: spelling

Quick Reply: If the CF wing is functional, then why no wing on 04 Evo RS?