Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Motor needs to be fixed: Advice on what to do from here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2010, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Motor needs to be fixed: Advice on what to do from here

So I somehow hit my map switch and killed my motor (untuned pump gas map on E85). I got low compression across all cylinders (130, 100, 95, 125) Its looking like a rebuild is in my future (I'm a ****ing dumb@$$).

I was going to do some drop in pistons and rods and replace whatever's broken (I think I bent some valves). I'm just wondering from a cost perspective does it make more sense to get a BR shortblock and cylinder head, fix my motor and sell it to recoup some cash or should rebuild the current motor I have (OR trade it to avoid a core charge).

Basically I have no clue what is the cheaper/better way to go. Build the block with a shop I trust or just get a motor thats been built by a shop like AMS/Buschur.

Car runs fine off boost and on boost. I would imagine that I've lost some power so I'm trying not to drive it until I have the money to do this. I was not planning on this happening and its the worst time for it. I probably won't be able to start this until the beginning of August. The car drives fine but I'd just as soon not drive it if at all possible (Ironically enough the cash I was going to use to get a used car is now going to getting the car built).

Opinions (not on me being a dumb@$$, LOL) are welcomed.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jun 17, 2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I read in this thread
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...ot-really.html
I would go with the Buschur build as they seem to really stand by their work,
also I would talk to them and see if they can use your block as the core and compare that to what a motor that has been rebuilt goes for.

I think that you'll find that you'll make more money if you sell your block, but I think that is highly dependent on if you do all the work.

So it all comes down to how much work will\can you do.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Well I am mechanically inclined but I lack the tools to do an engine swap. What does a shop normally charge hour wise to pull a motor and put a new one in?

I contemplating doing the work myself with the help of some friends that know what they're doing. Its pretty big undertaking so I'm not sure if I want to try it but I got a quote for 40 hours for an engine build and at the labour rate thats about 3200 on labor alone. I may work out a sponership deal with them which should lower the labor rate some but even if they cut it down to $50/hr thats still 2900. Thats not including the parts for the build.

I was thinking even if I have to pay a shop to swap motors for me it shouldnt be more then a 10-15 hour job....that would make it cheaper on labor but cost more on the back end with parts.....which I could still offset with selling my motor some.

Aaarrggghhhhhhhhso many choices/decisions. Not sure which way to go.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jun 17, 2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear H. You know what I will say. Go to Buschur! You know why!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

How did you switch the maps on accident? sorry about the motor
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

If the block and crank are good, do a rebuild so you can use what you want. If the crank is bad use the block as a core and check out what your budget is.

Some shops are looking for blocks, I bought a 2.4 fully built for 3200.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by italianevo88
He most likely hit the intercooler sprayer switch on accident, which switched over the maps. Tephra ecu mod.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

If i were you i would stop driving your car, i did something like that where the car was making funny noises but still drove fine and boost, ended up cracking the crankshaft and taking a chunk of the block...not saying it will happen to you but be careful lol.. currently in the rebuild process. Id say what your labor rate is you said round 3200+ a new 2.3 another 3500 depending where you get it from so your prolly looking around 7000 well say. just a guestamite. built 2.0 would be cheaper by a lil.

but SBR sell there 2.4 for $2930 http://www.slowboyracing.com/product.php?productid=3933
if your willing to do the work your self might be a PITA but you could save some $$ and sell your core for money if its good. GL.. i know how you feel with the position your in
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by italianevo88
I mustve have flipped it by accident....its really out of the way but I somehow flipped it (fail #1) then I never noticed that the red light wasnt ON (FAIL #2).....The car was running like crap but it felt like fouled plugs or a bad vacuum leak, when driving in vacuum it felt fine. I drove off normally from a light and spooled up and bam. knock light came on once and I got out of it. I sounded like backfire. Pulled the plugs and they looked they had some some lean action. Got some more OEM plugs (I think thats why the car doesn't run the greatest cruising at low RPM). I'll be ordering some Denso's again.

Again this was a complete fail on my part. It wasnt a tune, the shop that normally does my work........MY FAIL.I can pay the utilities on the last paycheck of the month.

I think my block is fine. I think I bent valves. Car doesn't smoke or anything like that. I think I may be able to get by with drop in Rod's and Pistons and replacing the valves in the head. I'm just trying to determine what is the most cost effective way to go about doing this.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jun 17, 2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo<3
If i were you i would stop driving your car, i did something like that where the car was making funny noises but still drove fine and boost, ended up cracking the crankshaft and taking a chunk of the block...not saying it will happen to you but be careful lol.. currently in the rebuild process. Id say what your labor rate is you said round 3200+ a new 2.3 another 3500 depending where you get it from so your prolly looking around 7000 well say. just a guestamite. built 2.0 would be cheaper by a lil.

but SBR sell there 2.4 for $2930 http://www.slowboyracing.com/product.php?productid=3933
if your willing to do the work your self might be a PITA but you could save some $$ and sell your core for money if its good. GL.. i know how you feel with the position your in
Its my DD at the moment. Wife is in Toronto with the IS300 until August. I'm staying out of boost and driving like a grandmother right now. I'll be looking into alternate means to get work. Funny thing was I was going to buy a used car in August,.....guess where that money is going now. LOL
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

ouch, thats rough
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

After speaking with a good friend that has helped me out with my car in the past I think I can escape from this with out too much collateral damage. He is hypothesizing that if its just valves that I could just take the head off get the valves replaced and put everything back together.

If we take the head off and the damage is more extensive then originally hoped then I will more then likely buy a BR 2.0 shortblock. It appears its valves since I'm not smoking or eating oil (As far as I can tell.....I'm due for an oil change in a couple hundred miles so I will probably do it monitor oil consumption).
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

man thats rough i totally know how you feel..it always seems that the bad stuff happens at the worse times lol..
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

H, post this up on EvoA and I'm sure a few of us wouldn't mind helping with the install of the motor. That right there would save you a little bit of cash.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

I'm staying off there for a few reasons. I kinda didn't want all of Atlanta to know for right now (Like they don't read evom right, LOL).

I leaning more towards taking the head off and seeing what needs to be done. I pray its just valves., If this was next year I'd go crazy and put a PTE 6262 on it but this is a bad year so it would be extremely advantageous to not have to fork over all that cash to get the car running right (And pay attention to the damn map switch in the future)