Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

dealer cleared CELs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2003, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dealer cleared CELs

i took my car in for the 5,000 mi service and i asked them to check the cel that came up (two i think). when i saw him at the counter he says, hum, cel, knock at 89 mph in blah blah gear @ blah blah rpm at that point i wasen't listening - having fun?
yep.
this black box tech is freaky. i guess i'd never get onstar tracking thing cause then the bushies (when they gain total power) will take control of all our cars!
paranoid in DC
Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

i hope it can't see the xede even after its removed
Old Nov 17, 2003, 07:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the cel will record the rpm,speed, coolant temp, intake temp, fuel trim,etc.. It will not tell you what speed you were in. The Evo has no gear selector switch. I guess the tech just figured it out by doing the math (speed-rpm=gear)
Old Nov 17, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

actually most ECUs can calculate the gear, just by using the speed and engine RPM. that's how the SRT4 limits boost in 1st gear to add prevent absurd wheelspin.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 03:23 PM

I thought resetting the ecu by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery erased any history of cel's that the ecu detected? In the manual, it says that if you get a CEL, you shouldn't disconnect the battery because they won't beable to diagnose it if you do.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mister2zx3
actually most ECUs can calculate the gear, just by using the speed and engine RPM. that's how the SRT4 limits boost in 1st gear to add prevent absurd wheelspin.
if im not mistaken the SRT-4 is equipped with a shift switch on the tranny that signals when in gear (in this case 1st gear). It is impossible for a PCM to calculate the gear you're in unless your car has a gear switch, the Evo has none (exept for reverse). You can be doing 90mph and suddenly slip it into neutral and throw a code. No gear.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Disconnecting the batt for 10 mins will erase the CELs and any record of them.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is partially true. If you disconnect the negative on the batttery it will clear a CEL, but not always the history. I know this first hand by going to have my emissions checked and I had a CEL. So naturally I disconnected the battery before I went. In IL they are now scanning your computer for past codes and also doing the sniffer test. At least that's what they did for me. They could tell that I had the battery disconnected recently and told me next time I would have to go to the dealer to have the codes cleared/fixed