Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turbo Removal for o2 Housing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Removal for o2 Housing Replacement

So I tried to remove the o2 housing yesterday since a downpipe bolt got sheared of in one of the mounting holes. However it just seems impossible to remove the o2 housing while it's on the car. I did remove the exhaust manifold but the position of the bolts on the o2 housing didn't leave me much room to torque them off.

My question is if I were to remove the turbo:

1) remove coolant lines
2) remove oil lines
3) disconnect intake

Does the coolant and oil need to be drained first and will I need to replace all the crush washers for the oil and coolant lines connecting to the turbo? And if so where could I get these would the local dealership have them in stock or special order?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Most people separate the hot and cold side only.

That being said if you don't remove the radiator you'll probably end up bending some fins. At a minimum put some heavy duty cardboard or thin sheet of wood between the radiator and the exhaust as this will help protect the radiator.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just seperate the hotside from the turbo and your done. very easy to do and doesnt take much time at all

like stated above me, either remove the radiator or put cardboard to protect the fins. you will mess the radiator up or put a hole in it if you dont protect it or remove it
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
splitting the turbo can be a pain especially when its on the car and if its been used for a couple years...if u remove the turbo ur gonna want to drain oil and coolant and u might as well take out the radiator cus it takes about 5 min..i destroyed my oem rad trying to take the turbo out w/out removing it. its going to take a lot longer to take the turbo out..and ull have to replace oil, coolant and some washers. but every time ive split a used turbo i have to hammer on it all around the turbo..which is difficult with it still attached. it can be done tho...good luck
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just pull the rad and do it in the car. I have done two turbo installs with the rad in car and the 1st time I took it out i have not looked back. There is a plastic 10 mm drainplug on the passenger side of the rad at the bottom. Just drain into something clean so yopu can reuse the coolant.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

I left the rad. in and left the turbo on the car, I just put some card board up to protect the fins of the rad. I agree though it would have been faster to just remove the rad. but it is possible to do without. I coated the bolts in wd-40 everyday 3 times a day for a week and the bolts where ALOT easy to get off.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
trying to do it with the turbo together in the car is so much more harder then just seperating the turbo, whether you pull the rad or not.... ive done it both ways. splitting the hotside is way quicker and a lot easier and you can save a lot of time by keeping the radiator in the car.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

I had this problem too just split the hotside.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Alright great, thanks for the info everyone just one more thing. Does the band clamp just require loosening a little and then you separate the two pieces?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you talking about the v-clamp? If so, then yes, you need to take it completely off.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

For the removal of the hotside off of the compressor side it's just this clamp correct? Does it require a lot of force to remove I just dont want to damage the turbine blades.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yes just the vband clamp. It didn't take much effort to get the two apart when I did this. I think I used a flat head screw driver to pry the two apart. Look for a tiny locating nub/pin on the hotside where it mates to the cold side; make sure it lines up with the tiny hole on the cold side when you put the two back together.

If you only remove the hotside, you don't need to disconnect the oil and coolant lines from the cold side.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 06:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nirvancol
yes just the vband clamp. It didn't take much effort to get the two apart when I did this. I think I used a flat head screw driver to pry the two apart. Look for a tiny locating nub/pin on the hotside where it mates to the cold side; make sure it lines up with the tiny hole on the cold side when you put the two back together.

If you only remove the hotside, you don't need to disconnect the oil and coolant lines from the cold side.
This. Flat head after you removed the clamp. Try not to mess up the mating surface that bad.

Before re-installing the hotside, i would sand off any surface rust on the hotside dowel and put some anti seize on it.

Also, you won't need to remove any lines doing this method.