Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Forgot TDC before belt removal. HELP??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Forgot TDC before belt removal. HELP??

Hey guys. I was wondering if theres a way to make everything top dead center AFTER removing the belt. I made a boo boo and forgot to do that before removing the belt.

Pics would be amazingly helpful. First time doing engine work, and I'm doing the head gasket, belts, and water pump.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all you gotta do is turn the crank gear so the mark is straight up and turn the cam gears so the timing marks up too
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
all you gotta do is turn the crank gear so the mark is straight up and turn the cam gears so the timing marks up too
Dont you have to align the pulley for the balance shaft and oil pump as well? --
after putting on the belt, rotate the engine a few times and make sure it spins ok, and that the marks still line up.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget, if they are still installed, the balance shafts have to be in time also and they also have to be in phase for the front one. The bolt to remove to check and see if they are in phase is behind the downpipe o2 housing area on the front of the block. The timing mark on the crank is actually a notch in the crank blade that lines up with the "pointer" on the front case cover. The cam gears obviously have marks that line up with grooves in the valve cover and the balance shaft gears have dots that line up with pointers on the front case cover also. Make sure that you set the tension correctly with the eccentric pulley before you pull the pin on the hydraulic adjuster. After you pull the pin it should easily slide in and out of the hole all the way.

Josh
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

yes the oil pump sprocket must be lined up the the crank and also balance shaft sprocket..there are marks for everything
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
Dont you have to align the pulley for the balance shaft and oil pump as well? --
after putting on the belt, rotate the engine a few times and make sure it spins ok, and that the marks still line up.
Damn beat me to it! LOL

Josh
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

If you have the balance shafts removed or have an AMS style "Race" shaft you can disregard this step since it won't make a difference, I still line them up just because I'm OCD. LOL

Josh
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

im not sure about the oil pump and balance shaft, i was just telling him how to get to tdc
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleeper04
yes the oil pump sprocket must be lined up the the crank and also balance shaft sprocket..there are marks for everything

off topic, but do you know why the 4g63 oil pump has to be in phase? I know other vehicles, like hondas, you dont have to align the oil pump pulley to anything when doing a timing belt.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Jeeze you guys reply so much more than my little ralliart community.

Thanks everyone for the input! I'm feelin a little better about finishing this thing up.

Tomorrow morning I should be doing the belts and water pump.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Just make sure that none of your pistons are at TDC when you rotate the cams...ie: put the crank to TDC, then turn it counterclockwise 1/4 turn, then set cams to TDC #1 (align the marks), and bring the crank back to TDC number 1. Hope that made sense.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

line

Just line it all up and you;ll be fine....
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by TommiM
off topic, but do you know why the 4g63 oil pump has to be in phase? I know other vehicles, like hondas, you dont have to align the oil pump pulley to anything when doing a timing belt.
The bottom gear that drive the oil pump, also drive the lower balance shaft. If not align right, it cause a very bad vibration at high rpm in turn causing damage to the motor.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goldenEvo
The bottom gear that drive the oil pump, also drive the lower balance shaft. If not align right, it cause a very bad vibration at high rpm in turn causing damage to the motor.
It shouldn't actually cause any damage to the motor but it will prevent the balance shaft from counter acting the 2nd order vibration that is inherent in the inline 4 cyl engine. the vibration is most apparent between 3500-4500 RPM.

Josh
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

just get a balance shaft eliminator kit while you have all that stuff apart... i know i am when i do my timing belt

Quick Reply: Forgot TDC before belt removal. HELP??