Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Love that Fumotovalve!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that the amount left in the pan is going to be different for every model of car (depending on the oil pan design). So what was not good on your BMW, was great on my 300ZX. I haven't heard of anyone trying it yet on an EVO, so I guess I'll see.

If you're running synthetic and changing it frequently, you shouldn't have ANY gunk or sludge in there. At least, I've never seen any in any of my cars (drained the normal way). Of course, there's dirt in the oil, but if you get it really hot before changing it (like you should do anyway), then it's in suspension in the fluid itself.. not in the bottom of the pan.

If I'm not 100% satisfied, maybe I'll drain it from the plug every other change or something...
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Rob W.
I think that the amount left in the pan is going to be different for every model of car (depending on the oil pan design). So what was not good on your BMW, was great on my 300ZX. I haven't heard of anyone trying it yet on an EVO, so I guess I'll see.

If you're running synthetic and changing it frequently, you shouldn't have ANY gunk or sludge in there. At least, I've never seen any in any of my cars (drained the normal way). Of course, there's dirt in the oil, but if you get it really hot before changing it (like you should do anyway), then it's in suspension in the fluid itself.. not in the bottom of the pan.

If I'm not 100% satisfied, maybe I'll drain it from the plug every other change or something...
Good point report back with your findings.

Thanks
Eric
Old Nov 18, 2003, 06:55 PM

Re: Love that Fumotovalve!!!

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky
I have bin using the Fumotovalve for about 3 months now on my EVO. I love it. Changing the oil has always bin very mess for me but with the Fumotovalve it’s a snap and I can even drain a little out if I over fill it.

Here is a email that I got from them. There is a 15% discount code.

My Best
Eric
Thanks for the info. I have wanted to buy one for some time and that discount got me off my butt.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Love that Fumotovalve!!!

Originally posted by Hummer

Thanks for the info. I have wanted to buy one for some time and that discount got me off my butt.
Great enjoy it. Fun my buddy with a WRX wagon turned me on to it. And I love the STI/WRX because you don't have to rase the car to change the oil. Pan slides in there and the oil filter is just there. Did you cut a hole on your splash gard yet to get to the oil plug?

Eric
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Love that Fumotovalve!!!

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

Great enjoy it. Fun my buddy with a WRX wagon turned me on to it. And I love the STI/WRX because you don't have to rase the car to change the oil. Pan slides in there and the oil filter is just there. Did you cut a hole on your splash gard yet to get to the oil plug?

Eric
I dutifully pull out the push pins and remove the under shield. I can't take an exacto to my car {yet}.

Thanks again and I gave you credit on my website for the info!

Regards,
Stuart
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Damn, I didn't realize there was a Fumotovalve for the Evo. I had one on my Subaru for about 2 years and it was great, especially given the frequency of my oil changes (drive about 2k miles a month). I may just have to look into it... I had been getting those emails from Fumotovalve also, but had been ignoring them thinking there was no Evo valve yet. doh!

Eric: I can change my Evo's oil without raising the car, too. It's a tight fit under there, but I have done it this way the last few times I've changed the oil.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by iodine23
Damn, I didn't realize there was a Fumotovalve for the Evo. I had one on my Subaru for about 2 years and it was great, especially given the frequency of my oil changes (drive about 2k miles a month). I may just have to look into it... I had been getting those emails from Fumotovalve also, but had been ignoring them thinking there was no Evo valve yet. doh!

Eric: I can change my Evo's oil without raising the car, too. It's a tight fit under there, but I have done it this way the last few times I've changed the oil.
Yes it is much tighter. But I a pit puggy so it might be hard for me to do it then your self.

Eric
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Well I don't slide myself under the car at all. I just reach in from beside the wheel to get to the drain bolt and the filter. It's a tight fit for my oil drain pan (10qt "Blitz" model from PepBoys).
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it my imagination, or are these things REALLY slow? I put them on my wife's Maxima and my Evo and when I changed her oil this weekend, it took forever. I finally got tired of waiting and took the thing out so I could get on with my life. Neat idea, but it doesn't seem to be all that it's cracked up to be. If it drains that slow when I do my Evo, it's outta here!

JW
Old Mar 22, 2004, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

I dunno, the idea of this valve seems pretty good except that the majority of the mess of changing the oil is removing the old filter. Like iodine, I don't raise the car when I change the oil (though the blitz 10qt is the only pan that I've managed to fit underneath the car when it's not raised). Lately, I've taken to just putting down obscene amounts of newspaper to soak up any spilled oil. It seems to have worked pretty well. I might go for one of these valves once my drain plug starts looking iffy, but until then, I really don't see the attraction...
Old Mar 25, 2004, 12:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
what is the advantage to purchasing the unit with the nipple vs the standard, is it really needed?