Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Steering ratio

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have test driven a lot of cars over the years and the Evo has the best steering of them all. Even better than a Lotus Elise.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

The ratio and driver feedback is part of the Evo's great handling characteristics and one of the main Evo selling points.
In STi land they are installing QuickRacks to duplicate.
If you don't like the responsiveness you are probably buying the wrong car.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:08 PM

I messed up on the title as most have already cought on, i was talking about the turning circle. I want a vehice thats very responsive. Ive found a deal with someone willing to sell me an evo 8 with about 80k for 13k.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there are two types of people who don't like the EVO's steering: Those who have never raced, and those who can't drive.

Both of these should have bought a civic if they care that much about parking, and making u-turns. the EVO's steering has been praised all over the world as the most direct, and the best feel of any 4 door car on the planet, but leave it to america to find something to ***** about because they don't understand it, and don't know how to use it. the turning radius is no problem at all when you're moving with any speed, or if you know how to drive the car. it's only an issue if you're idling along, or trying to park. which doesn't matter anyway because the car wasn't built to idle, or park.

my advice, learn to drive the car, then you won't have anymore issues with the turning radius.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
there are two types of people who don't like the EVO's steering: Those who have never raced, and those who can't drive.

Both of these should have bought a civic if they care that much about parking, and making u-turns. the EVO's steering has been praised all over the world as the most direct, and the best feel of any 4 door car on the planet, but leave it to america to find something to ***** about because they don't understand it, and don't know how to use it. the turning radius is no problem at all when you're moving with any speed, or if you know how to drive the car. it's only an issue if you're idling along, or trying to park. which doesn't matter anyway because the car wasn't built to idle, or park.

my advice, learn to drive the car, then you won't have anymore issues with the turning radius.
+1. Although I will say this; you WILL be surprised the first time you turn the wheel all the way to one side to park/u-turn and find that it stops turning about half a turn before where you'd normally expect it to
Old Jun 30, 2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Raptord
+1. Although I will say this; you WILL be surprised the first time you turn the wheel all the way to one side to park/u-turn and find that it stops turning about half a turn before where you'd normally expect it to
Lol, thats just something ill have to deal with.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 05:09 AM

The radius is a pain when parking, but it is AWESOME having to make only small inputs to the wheel. When I drive to work, I park on the 6th floor of the inside parking deck just so I can enjoy the go-kart steering on the way up and down the levels - it only takes and a quarter turn of the wheel to go around.

The speed of response takes some getting used-to, especially on the highway. At first it will feel nervous, but eventually you learn to loosen your grip on the wheel a bit and get used to it, and then to love it.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I park fast, always have. I normally just whip my car into the spot and have no problems what so ever with parking. And an added bonus it scares the **** outta my wife
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:58 AM

On snow or other low grip surfaces, it's so easy and quick to counter-steer and catch a slide, too.