Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

oil burn help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil burn help

for a while my evo 8 i would see a little oil smoke from the hood vent if i reved it past 5k rpm so i finally found the leak area it was right on the bottom of the turbo area, so my mechanic said it had a split gasket and put a new one on, so i just drove around for a few mins and never reved it up high at all and it started smoking like a **** from under the hood and also out the tail pipe ? , I'm thinking at that oil leak source some how the oil is not just leaking at the turbo but entering the intake would that be possible or make sense ? if the turbo was going bad could it do this ?

thanks for the help look out when buying a used evo the cars are great but if bad owner u could be in for it
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Smoke out the hood could be from anti seize on the bolts for the turbo/exhaust manifold. And what bottom area of turbo? The turbo has only only one main gasket. Hotside to exhaust manifold.

Did you smell a sweet smell like coolant?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

bro im pretty sure its ur turbo return line the one that goes to the oilpan i had a tiny hole in mine. and it caused it to drop oil on my downpipe and make crazy smoke. take it off and replace it its not a big deal. You can prob get a used one for around $15
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

if oil is coming out ur tailpipe ide take it to a shop personaly.....