Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

running rich?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ev0lution9
not at all, thats pretty lean especially for pump gas. should be anywhere from 10.9-11.3
thanks, thats where the a/f ratios are at now.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:37 PM

it just bought a forge recirculated bov, now it is fluttering like crazy. it came with yellow, blue, and red spring and two spacers. looking at the forge website, the yellow is for 15-23psi and blue is for 23psi-30psi and red 30+ psi.

i ran a few different setups with this bov and it all have fluttering issues.
yellow spring only
yellow spring with one spacer
yellow spring with two spacer
blue spring only

is there anyway to stop the fluttering?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

so wait what fixed your issues then? a different bov?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

doesnt the nipple on the lower ic pipe help eliminate boost flutter? i think theres a how to on it
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:08 PM

so wait what fixed your issues then? a different bov?
the running rich issue is fixed now. running a forge recirculated
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by white_evo27
doesnt the nipple on the lower ic pipe help eliminate boost flutter? i think theres a how to on it
thanks, i read that as well. the problem for me is that it flutters ALL the time. partial boost or peak boost. it doesn't flutter as bad if i let off the gas really fast. the stock bov rarely ever fluttered for me.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:11 AM

try the red spring, my buddy had a forge and that was the only spring that worked halfy way ok, he still had a little flutter cruising highway speeds and let off the throttle a little bit, but other than that it was fine
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:13 AM

not at all, thats pretty lean especially for pump gas. should be anywhere from 10.9-11.3
ive always tuned to 11.9, 12.0, thats perfectly safe on pump gas (93) that is
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by goodies
try the red spring, my buddy had a forge and that was the only spring that worked halfy way ok, he still had a little flutter cruising highway speeds and let off the throttle a little bit, but other than that it was fine
oh ok cool, the red spring was the only spring i didnt try. i thought it wasn't needed because that spring was rated 30+ psi on the forge website and i'm running about 21psi or so
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:55 AM

no problem, thats what he thought to about the red spring

Originally Posted by vgknight
Everyone likes their a/f a lil diff I have noticed... I tend to keep my customer tunes around 11.5-11.7. Cuz I never know when they are gonna up the boost without telling me.
yeah i would not tune a customers car as aggressively as my own, i did not take that into consideration
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goodies
ive always tuned to 11.9, 12.0, thats perfectly safe on pump gas (93) that is
im not sure where you've heard that from but that is definitely too lean for my taste at least..everytime i get tuned its around 11.2-11.3.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jlaznlover
my car seems to be running pretty rich and there is definitely power loss. current mods are intake, catback and jester m2 flash(only mods for the last 3 years). over the past year, my car slowly began running richer and richer. initially, when i got the car tuned 3 years ago it was a rock solid 11.7-11.8 a/f. now at WOT it dips to 11.3 and sometimes richer than that. boost still peaks at 21-22psi and doesn't seem to spike.

the a/f ratios sometimes go berserk. for example, in fourth gear, light throttle to keep at a constant speed. the a/f dips to 10.0 sometimes, even when i didn't increase or decrease pedal pressure. when i do lift off the pedal while in gear, it dips to 10.X and fluctuate there for about a second then goes blank(i have a AEM a/f guage).

sorry i do not have a datalogger, no CEL, i was going to do a boost leak check today, but the coupler was way too big for the stock turbo(probably won't be able to the boost leak test until sometime next week)

any info will be helpful, thank you
i would just bring it to a shop that expert on evos. There's ton of things that might go bad. Keep quessing is not going to work buddy. Have your car daiagonis real good. Spend a lil money, but it's worth it.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:21 AM

im not sure where you've heard that from but that is definitely too lean for my taste at least..everytime i get tuned its around 11.2-11.3.
its cool man, theres a ton a deciding factors, fuel, timing, everything. some people like more timing thus adding more fuel, some like less timing with less fuel, if you had someone tune your car they are giving you the best "product" which means they are tuning for power and reliability.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:07 PM

i had an upper ic pipe leak, def look on here. Is a thread on a DIY boost leak check system
Old Jul 22, 2010, 08:47 PM

did another boost leak test today and couldn't find any leaks anywhere, but i did however noticed that the vacuum line that goes to the bov was ever so slightly kinked. it was pretty difficult to spot at first as there was also a little foam hose that surrounded that vacuum line that blocked the view of that kink. i went over to autozone and bought 7/32" rubber hose and replaced that vacuum line with a slightly longer one.

now the car runs like a champ!! the a/f ratios looks much better, and no fluttering!!

thanks for all the help guys. much appreciated