Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cruise control and the evo.....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2003, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by capitolm94

would you consider a mustang and a camaro in the same class? they have more of a displacement difference than .5 L.

.5 liter difference in a forced induction engine is not comparable to .5 liter difference in n/a engine.

if subaru needs a 2.5 liter turbo to make 300 hp then it should have to compete in a GT category with porsches, audis, and vettes. same with the neon, 2.4 turbo should put it in a different class.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MaxR

.5 liter difference in a forced induction engine is not comparable to .5 liter difference in n/a engine.

if subaru needs a 2.5 liter turbo to make 300 hp then it should have to compete in a GT category with porsches, audis, and vettes. same with the neon, 2.4 turbo should put it in a different class.
can i borrow the 20-30 grand i need to play in that class? if not, than these are in the same one.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

If you're in the market for ~30k car and comfort and convenience with some maybe straight line power, have you looked at the Acura TL? If you don't track the car, where the Evo is 80% made strictly for, you may find the ride and noise and lack of ammenities not so likeable.

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/d/acu...fsrc=autos/buy
Old Nov 21, 2003, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Mister2zx3
If you're in the market for ~30k car and comfort and convenience with some maybe straight line power, have you looked at the Acura TL? If you don't track the car, where the Evo is 80% made strictly for, you may find the ride and noise and lack of ammenities not so likeable.

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/d/acu...fsrc=autos/buy
i would be better off keeping my s4. I am not in the market per se, i really like the evo and STi, so i might get one. Despite what people say, it is still just a car.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by capitolm94

can i borrow the 20-30 grand i need to play in that class?
i don't know. can you?
Old Nov 22, 2003, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

capital, what are you looking for in just a car? you said "On modding potential, i know the evo is better, however, i prob will not mod for a while, i need the warranty.

Handling, i dont track the car, so thats a non issue."

Those are the two biggest points of the Evo. It's handling at venues where you can take it to 100mphs and flick it sideways and not go to jail, and it's very well supported modifcations.

Since those aren't big in your search, I thought you may want to find something more to what your interestes are. good luck.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Mister2zx3
capital, what are you looking for in just a car? you said "On modding potential, i know the evo is better, however, i prob will not mod for a while, i need the warranty.

Handling, i dont track the car, so thats a non issue."

Those are the two biggest points of the Evo. It's handling at venues where you can take it to 100mphs and flick it sideways and not go to jail, and it's very well supported modifcations.

Since those aren't big in your search, I thought you may want to find something more to what your interestes are. good luck.
when i say i will not mod for a while, that means exactly that. I will mod in a while, probobly either after the warranty or once i am certain nothing is wrong with the car... so modding potential is a major draw.

The problem is, i like and want AWD, and a fast car. Nothing else really fits the bill. Who knows, maybe i will track the car eventually, but right now i dont have the time/money for that kind of thing.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Here is an alternate placement of the Rostra Cruise Control stalk
Attached Thumbnails cruise control and the evo.....-cruisecontrol.jpg  
Old Nov 24, 2003, 08:01 PM

Shot in the dark here, haven't done to much research here. I was looking at the steering wheel itself. There looks to be a small panal on the side of it. Would it be possible to use a cruise unit from a DSM and hook it to the wheel?
Old Nov 24, 2003, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

8th Sin - Not sure. It would be great to have a cruise stalk that rotated with the steering wheel. The best cruise that I ever had was on my 2002 Olds Aurora (that I sold to get the EVO). It was located at about 4 O'clock on the steering wheel and it spun with the wheel. It was perfectly shaped to activate easily.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

The Rostra unit can be ordered for left or right side of the wheel. The standard Lancer's do have the stalk on the right side (looking at the steering wheel). I talked with the service manager at the dealership that I bought it at while I was in the process in buying it. They tried hooking up a standard Lancer cruise control unit to the EVO and got no where. They talked to Mitsu and were told that a vaccum unit is not a good idea on a turbo car. That sounds strange to me, because I know older turbo cars like the early 80's chryslers that had turbos had cruise control and I highly doubt they were electronic units. If you look at electrical diagrams for the EVO you'll see the layout for the standard Lancer cruise control. My guess is they don't think this type of car anyone would not buy it because of the lack of cruise control and why create a big expense of designing a new electronic system specifically for the EVO. If they vaccum unit would of worked in the EVO, my guess is that Mitsu would of put in. I don't think it's just because of the Momo steering wheel.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 09:09 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by emulous
The Rostra unit can be ordered for left or right side of the wheel. The standard Lancer's do have the stalk on the right side (looking at the steering wheel). I talked with the service manager at the dealership that I bought it at while I was in the process in buying it. They tried hooking up a standard Lancer cruise control unit to the EVO and got no where. They talked to Mitsu and were told that a vaccum unit is not a good idea on a turbo car. That sounds strange to me, because I know older turbo cars like the early 80's chryslers that had turbos had cruise control and I highly doubt they were electronic units. If you look at electrical diagrams for the EVO you'll see the layout for the standard Lancer cruise control. My guess is they don't think this type of car anyone would not buy it because of the lack of cruise control and why create a big expense of designing a new electronic system specifically for the EVO. If they vaccum unit would of worked in the EVO, my guess is that Mitsu would of put in. I don't think it's just because of the Momo steering wheel.

The 1g DSM units were vacuum controlled, so that is a bit weird that they would say that. I also wonder how intelligent that dealership was.

I'll be looking into the rostra unit, but I did think that it was interesting that the fuse box still has locations for cruise control.
for tempting us with that mitsu!

Also, while searching for info about cruise control I ran across alot of stuff that said the australian and UK evos DID in fact have cruise... boo again to US market!

Last edited by fostytou; Jan 8, 2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:45 AM

as you said you're looking for a car for DD, I don't know how far do you drive everyday however, I would consider the clutch feeling also because STI's clutch is heavier than Evo's clutch even though Evo has deeper clutch so for me, being stuck in the traffic Sti gives such a pain in my left foot..but Evo didn't.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

way to bring back a 3 year old thread. closed.