Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

who takes pride in doing their own car work!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 03:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I strongly agree with all you guys I ve had my car for almost two years and I had usually paid other people to work on my car being this is my first project car ......but after just scannin through evom(btw thanks to all of you guys for making this a bad@**community makes me proud of owning an evo and motivates me to learn more about the car I DD and find myself staring at everyday ) I've realized that doing my own work is more beneficial and well affordable...lol... which allows me to save up for more parts........
Old Jul 8, 2010, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Well I agree with everyones posts, the more hands on you are, the more you will learn. and I also agree to leave critical stuff to a shop, cams and timing belts etc etc. hopefully finishing my turbo setup today(fingers crossed)
Old Jul 8, 2010, 05:00 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only thing I'll let a shop do to my car is an alignment or body work. When I was new to cars I just read DIY after DIY until I got a good picture of what's going on. Never hurts to have someone who's done it lend a hand either!

I like having the comfort of knowing if something went wrong where the most likely fail points were. That and I don't like spending money when I don't have to.

I've always thought of it this way. For the price of say an ACT clutch plus install you could have an Exedy twin if you DIY!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I have and always will do the work on all of my cars. With help at times for bigger jobs but I need to know everything is done right.

Some shops are shady and do half assed work. I've seen some stuff over the years you wouldn't even believe
Old Jul 8, 2010, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

I do all the work on my car.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 05:48 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I take a lot of pride in knowing I've done alot of the work by myself, or with the help of friends. My car has never been to a shop for anything, and I'm quite proud of that. That said, there are some things I wouldn't tackle at home again.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

I'm willing to do all my own work except tune my car. Only reason I got my cams installed is because i didn't have the timing belt tensioner tool and tools to swap out the valve springs. I will be doing my clutch soon so I'll let u guys know how I do on it lol
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:19 AM
ddb
Evolving Member

I try to do everything on my car except if i need to open up the tranny or differential. My wife try to help a lot also,so she takes pride too when we say that we mod our car.....that's a nice couple activity if you ask me.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:30 AM

my brother and i do all the work on my car
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

ME! one day ill learn to tune the ecu then i will be a jedi but for now im just a parts intaller
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

I've had the pleasure of 2 friends both with vast knowledge work on my car for me.. both Tigeron and Itzwolf on here. Both have taught me almost all they know and now I can do damn near all my own work on my car. They taught me so much it even enabled me to pull my wife's 350z motor completely out of the car, seperate the tranny, install the clutch, install the turbo kit etc.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a lot of pride saying "I bilt it MySelf"

John-
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

I will admit its nice being able to build,Tune, and TIG everything Ill ever need/want.

Bryan
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I do all the work myself. I recently did the Trans in my MR. Not fun but got through it. Thanks to This site and my girlfriend who is a DSM guru. I just don't trust anyone else working on my car. Atleast if I do something wrong I only have myself to blame...

good set of tools and the net is all ya need....
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i did all exterior/interior mods on my car and all basic bolts on when it came to swapping the motor i just dont have the tools for that nor do i want to throw 17k in parts down the drain i let a shop handle that but other then that all me and making alot of custom parts myself

Quick Reply: who takes pride in doing their own car work!