Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Voltex Wings are made to fly not stay on trunks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice , that carbon stuff doesn't hold so well at high speeds ,I cracked my hood almost flew off
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow can't believe that happened to the CyberEvo. They should have known better
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

wow in order for that trunk to have cracked the wing must have provided at least 700 lbs of downforce.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

man i surprise he kept the car straight after the wing flew off, but defiantly sucks but for some reason I kept help but laugh.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo ippo
man i surprise he kept the car straight after the wing flew off, but defiantly sucks but for some reason I kept help but laugh.
yeah in the video it looks like the driver was struggling to stay straight. good save though
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

hahaha thats ridiculous!!
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:21 AM

the voltex president was there he musta said dang my stuff rocks

i still want one for my dd colt
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by btownsoccer22
What? Do you know the Cyber Evo? It's not like they put on a wal-mart trunk
Agreed, the Cyber Evo trunk is better than a Wal-Mart trunk, if such a thing were to exist.

However, the failure of the wing is Cyber Evo's fault. The wing should have been attached to the frame instead of gluing the wing to the trunk.

Originally Posted by LVmevo
yeah in the video it looks like the driver was struggling to stay straight. good save though
The driver is none other than Tarzan. WTAC 2010.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:31 PM

damn!!! that sucks ahha
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:42 PM

Wow! Going to have to reinforce that trunk lid!
Old Jul 11, 2010, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by until240
Agreed, the Cyber Evo trunk is better than a Wal-Mart trunk, if such a thing were to exist.

However, the failure of the wing is Cyber Evo's fault. The wing should have been attached to the frame instead of gluing the wing to the trunk.

The driver is none other than Tarzan. WTAC 2010.
The trunk on the Cyber Evo was produced and issued to the Cyber Evo team by Varis four or five years ago. I would say the life of that trunk, mixed with the amount of stress it went through after all those years, it did it's job well.

As for the mounting positions of the Voltex wing, I'm not sure if Nakajima will decide on changing how the brackets are applied to the Cyber Evo, but I will say it does hold up well. The urethane mounts he uses are extreme strong, and have been perfected over the past decade. You can see the proof within that first post. The entire top of the trunk had to come off for the wing to 'take flight'.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by DrivelineSales
The trunk on the Cyber Evo was produced and issued to the Cyber Evo team by Varis four or five years ago. I would say the life of that trunk, mixed with the amount of stress it went through after all those years, it did it's job well.

As for the mounting positions of the Voltex wing, I'm not sure if Nakajima will decide on changing how the brackets are applied to the Cyber Evo, but I will say it does hold up well. The urethane mounts he uses are extreme strong, and have been perfected over the past decade. You can see the proof within that first post. The entire top of the trunk had to come off for the wing to 'take flight'.
Ok. I'll agree that it's good enough. I'm not a race car fabricator or engineer. All I'm saying is that based on what I've seen of other cars, the norm is to weld the wing supports to the frame/frame rails. I can't imagine a properly welded wing failing.

When the potential costs of wing failure are so high, especially when a car is set up for the additional downforce, I think you would want something that is foolproof.

Here's what COULD have happened. The fact that it didn't is probably a testament to Tarzan's massive skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LnmD7kxHUw

Granted, this wing didn't fail where it was fastened to the trunk, but at the airfoils, but still. This shows how dangerous airfoil failure can be.

Last edited by until240; Jul 11, 2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by .MM
buy a better quality trunk next time?

ouch on the cf trunk lol
Old Jul 11, 2010, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by until240
Ok. I'll agree that it's good enough. I'm not a race car fabricator or engineer. All I'm saying is that based on what I've seen of other cars, the norm is to weld the wing supports to the frame/frame rails. I can't imagine a properly welded wing failing.

When the potential costs of wing failure are so high, especially when a car is set up for the additional downforce, I think you would want something that is foolproof.

Here's what COULD have happened. The fact that it didn't is probably a testament to Tarzan's massive skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LnmD7kxHUw

Granted, this wing didn't fail where it was fastened to the trunk, but at the airfoils, but still. This shows how dangerous airfoil failure can be.
but if th was an Evo it wouldnt of crashed
Old Jul 11, 2010, 03:54 PM

Wow, thank god that Element Tuning driver was ok

Quick Reply: Voltex Wings are made to fly not stay on trunks