Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 Nose chop & Other quotes,Too much $$ ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Evo 8 Nose chop & Other quotes,Too much $$ ?

I went to a few body shops today to get my Nose chopped on my cover,All the quotes seemed pretty high for what is needed to be done imo...What are you guys paying to have your cover chopped and sprayed? Here is what i wanted done and here are the prices...Keep in mind i actually know this guy and this is a discounted price and the cheapest i got...There work is Top notch,But still seems pretty high to me..

I was quoted $650-700 to chop and spray bumper..(275 just to paint)

Paint roof Gloss black - $500

Respray and fix a few cracks on my Ings rear cover.$650

Respray a small section on CF hood - $200

Are these prices average every where or has NY completely Lost there minds ?

Last edited by KaRboN; Jul 13, 2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 04:24 PM

Have you tried other places besides N.Y, bet you will get lower estimates. Or you can look for local members that know how to cut the nose and just get it painted, that should save you $$$ or DIY.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:33 PM

Ever thought about doing the nose chop yourself? There's a how to on it. It'll save you some $$
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not good at things like that and wouldn't even attempt it on my BEST day!! I'm very picky when it comes to my car and it has to be perfect so i'm going to leave it to the pros...I just thought it would be like $350-400 for chop n spray....$700 is Crazy,It looks good but not THAT good lol..These guys were talking and acting like i was asking them to build me a wide body kit from scratch!!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:45 PM

LOL, I see. I feel you on that.

I would browse around and call some shops. Better yet is there a local ny evo forum? If there is, I'm pretty sure someone has a hook up or knows a place.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

hey i see you're in ny and i'm assuming close to top level since you're tuned by e spec... the prices do sound a little high. I have a shop over here that will paint a panel for around 300 a panel and do awesome work. i also do bodywork and would be willing to chop the nose for you for a few bucks and then have the shop paint it. im not going to toot my own horn but im nasty with plastic work and if photobucket didnt delete my old pics i can show you the in process pics. I dont know if you're familiar with vw's but i did my bumper on my old car and its all plastic welded, no glued like most shops will do which means it will last and never show seems. i also shortened the mirrors about 2 inches.

if you're interested pm me.

shaved sidemarkers, turns, dummy lenses, fogs, lower ducts, bumper fins, shortened mirrors and a custom 2 piece badgeless grill i made out of 2 grills.

Last edited by Paulito; Jul 14, 2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

I did my nose job myself and had a friend's friend paint it so I was out like $250 (paint and materials). So I'd keep looking around till I found a better deal or DIY to save money.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Paulito, i never knew you were a plastic guru. you think nose chop can be done in one day?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

NJ isn't much better... body work is like the effing black box... you ask for a quote... they throw you a number, but there is no math behind it whatsoever...

For instance, I wanted to go wingless... so, I inquired about a wing hole weld/fill and a respray on the trunk (from 2 shops that people on EvoM suggested me to)... the quotes that came back were $700 and $650... at that point... why no just go CF... seriously... Body shops are retarded... it is not, infact, brain surgery, and should be billed out like it is
Old Jul 14, 2010, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
Paulito, i never knew you were a plastic guru. you think nose chop can be done in one day?
haha yeah bodywork was a hobby of mine, my only problem is that i cant paint it at my house. I can do all the plastic welding and smoothing in a day and send it to the body shop and have it shot there. Im friends with the owner and he charged me 300 to get cover painted in the past... im sure it should still be around that.

i'd do the work for 100 and then get it painted for you for about 300. so you're looking at 400 ish for a nose chop.

and to be honest the prices shops charge arent to crazy when you consider all of there overhead... you have to pay the workers, rent, utilities, supplies, it adds up. plus doing a trunk the right way is a good amount of work, welding, grinding, filling, sanding... prepping....
Old Jul 14, 2010, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

im contemplating taking up your offer and actually driving the car over (instead of shipping it) one day. im located about an hour from you.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

sounds good... pm me if you have any questions or give me a heads up when there is a tse meet and we can meet up
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Paulito
i'd do the work for 100 and then get it painted for you for about 300. so you're looking at 400 ish for a nose chop
I might take you up on this offer as well man,I will have you do the work and have my shop paint it if that is cool ?..I talked to a few friends at a shop i work with and got much better deals...I'm still waiting on a price from them for the chop but it will probably be expensive...Every time someone says the word custom the prices sky rocket lol

There doing all new fiberglass work and respray on My ings cover for $300,Painting the roof gloss back for $250,Installing my cf trunk and swapping covers for me with a friend for free(Trading my 9 for the 8 cover) And painting pieces on the CF hood for $75..Much more reasonable,The other guy was apparently smoking some really good and non stepped on crack...
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds good... pm me if you have any questions or give me a heads up when there is a tse meet and we can meet up
man i'm willing to come to LI for a nose chop too.
im in philly and i can get it resprayed by someone here.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
haha yeah bodywork was a hobby of mine, my only problem is that i cant paint it at my house. I can do all the plastic welding and smoothing in a day and send it to the body shop and have it shot there. Im friends with the owner and he charged me 300 to get cover painted in the past... im sure it should still be around that.

i'd do the work for 100 and then get it painted for you for about 300. so you're looking at 400 ish for a nose chop.

and to be honest the prices shops charge arent to crazy when you consider all of there overhead... you have to pay the workers, rent, utilities, supplies, it adds up. plus doing a trunk the right way is a good amount of work, welding, grinding, filling, sanding... prepping....

not to thread jack.. but i might have to take you up on that if possible. my whole front end needs a respray.. .so id love to get a chop done.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Nose chop & Other quotes,Too much $$ ?