Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So, lets get YOUR 1 year updates...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2003, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dan0119
Had the car since March, 9,6xx miles. Nasty rattle in the driver door. No other problems. Winter tires will be here tomorrow.
Dan do you know what in your door is rattling, I may have the same rattle as well. I had NO rattles until I drove to st louis on I-44, that road beat me up.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by ShangaiSilver
10k miles. three oil changes. diff and tranny oil replaced. stock clutch. still have tread on my advans (winters on now, much easier to 4 wheel drift and bring the posterior out ). slight chassis noise when entering or exiting my driveway. otherwise i love it. can't wait to juice it up a bit.
The chassis noise you mentioned when entering and exiting your driveway, do you mean creaking from the chassis flexing??? That would really surprise me considering how stout the EVOs chassis is supposed to be. Heck, even my 97 Z28 with 67k miles on it doesn't emit a single creak or grown when entering or exiting driveways, even at extreme angles. Granted I have the fixed hardtop and extensive subframe connectors.

Please explain...
Old Nov 20, 2003, 06:39 AM

yessir, that is what i am saying, there is about a 2 inch diff from my driveway to the street, when i enter or exit slowly, there is some body flexing noises, similiar to my old vws, only not nearly as much. slight, but i notice it. i will try entering the other way tonight and see if it does it. otherwise no creaks or rattles.

does that help?
Old Nov 20, 2003, 07:48 AM

Had it since March. Started modding in March, now almost 14K and the stock clutch is as good a it was new. I have no rattles or complaints of any kind. Great car.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

19k+ ZERO problems.

The car still feels as tight as new unlike my old eclipse which already felt like it was falling apart at this mileage.
I swore I would never buy another mitsu after the eclipse, but I just couldn't pass up the EVO. No regrets since....

Just a tidbit on the driver door rattle. I had it..took a while to pin point. I finally sprayed the door lock assembly to death with wd40 and the noise went away for good.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:00 AM

Does anyone else have anything to comment on the chassis creaking when entering/exiting driveways at an angle? I really am surprised to hear this. When I test drove the car it felt rock solid. Not to mention all the magazine articles commenting on how stiff the structure is.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by carguy
slt- I love your car! I have your sig pic as my desktop picture.
Hey, that's my car. Well i'm glad both of you guys like it!
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:52 AM
choad

mine creaks going off of my driveway too..

There is going to be flex on ANY car even the EVO..
Old Nov 20, 2003, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

7+ months
9500+ miles
only costs have been winter tires & oil changes. the only problem is a couple of intermitant rattles - nothing huge. I for one like the stark interior, but that's personal opinion.

my clutch feels as strong as it did the day I brought it home. But, I am an auto-x/RR guy, so very few 5000 rpm drops for me. I adore the car, it truely is a 4 door/4 passenger fd.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

bought mine in July.
Only 2800 miles (I commute to work, plus been on vacation)
No prob with clutch so far (knock on wood)
other than replacing windshield due to crack and 1 tiny paint chip, the car has been a blast.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Since 4/11. Still on stock clutch but fading; car feels rubber-block solid, except for driver side door rattle. Consumes oil during hotter months, seems better presently. It's my wife's daily driver, she loves it. She comments that all the boys are gazing at her and not the car
Old Nov 20, 2003, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

03/03.. Stock clutch, advans still good, no noises, hauls serious ***, 11,700 miles... No it aint stock..
Old Nov 21, 2003, 12:57 PM

are the most common problems the door squeak and clutch?
Old Nov 21, 2003, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Fish - rereading the posts it looks like most the clutches are fine. In general the clutch will hold up fine as long as you take care of it. 6k clutch drops and drag racing are examples of not taking care of it.

Even if you put in the latest and greatest clutch available, you're just shifting the shock to another area of the drivetrain. AWD + 3260 lbs + 271+ hp can be very hard on any drivetrain. Better to burn a clutch than break a tranny. But this is off topic...

But to answer your question...the door sqweak seems to be the most common problem.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 01:31 PM

This is great guys. Now on a side note, the Mitsubishi Dealer experience is a whole other ball of wax that is worrying me. Is it really that bad, or the same as every other manufacturer?