Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Do you beat on your evo?
Yes, not driving it to full potential is a waste
45.63%
No, I spent $30k and want it to last
54.37%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Who doesn't beat on their evo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2003, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Who doesn't beat on their evo?

Originally posted by slt
There seems to be a predominant theme that everyone beats on their evo day in and day out. This is further highlighted by comments on buying a used evo. It's seems to be accepted that all evos have the snot driven out of them.

While I start stuff on the highway and take on/off ramps too fast, I don't drop the clutch looking for 1.8 60' times. For the most part I'm fairly easy on my evo. Anyone else like me or am I just wasting my evo experience?
Driving er' hard is OK IMHO as long as we take good care of it otherwise. But those who like to drag race often and dump the clutch could end in a world of hurt like my buddy Avatar of War. For example...

Back in early Oct., Avatar of War wrote to me:

"Jeff, I don't know if you knew or not, but I blew my transfer-case / front differential AND did some transmission damage at the track about a week and a half ago on a 7000rpm launch. I "accidentally" dumped the clutch instead of slipping it out - and with the Exedy twin disc (which is already too strong for our drivetrain) there is absolutely NO give. The wheels hopped off the line, which means something is going to break. I heard 4 loud pops , but drove through it to a 12.6 @ 112mph - even though, in 3rd gear, my Forge BOV shot off the AEM intake allowing a LOT of unmetered air into the intake stream.

This was a VERY expensive run at the track - buying a new diff from Mitsubishi and paying to have it installed ran right around $2700 . The tranny costs $700 to take out and put in, I paid around $100 to have it shipped to Akron, OH - and right now John Shepherd of Shepherd racing is rebuilding it (probably for around $1500).

It was my fault - not a single street driven car in the world would hold up to launches like that for long, and the Evo is a VERY built car from the factory. I just hope you don't learn the lesson like I had to. I won't be drag racing it anymore. Cris"

Talk about a bad day! This was a 5 G mistake people! He's since sold his evo and is now driving a brand new Cobra.

Last edited by evo1; Nov 25, 2003 at 08:43 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 03:35 PM

I don't beat on my EVO all of the time, just because i have one, doesnt mean that I hjave to go fast everywhere I go...
Old Dec 8, 2003, 08:20 PM
choad

These cars can handle spirited driving..
Hard launches and Quarter mile runs are for Mustangs and the sort..not the EVO..

The on ramps are ALWAYS a lot of fun as they curve onto the merge and freeway lane..

Love to have a car of ANY brand next to me, or on my *** as we enter the freeway...even better if it's a "performance" car..

I let them stay with me for the shift to second then..

BYE BYE!!

Last edited by M3lachsilber; Dec 8, 2003 at 08:23 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

spirited driving: yes
hard driving: rarely
abusive driving: never

there is a big difference between taking your car out to the track and driving the **** out of it and taking it out & beating on it... 95% of the miles on my Evo are day to day boring miles, it's the 5% of the miles that count - they are the reason I drive an Evo & not a SUV.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by trigeek37
spirited driving: yes
hard driving: rarely
abusive driving: never

there is a big difference between taking your car out to the track and driving the **** out of it and taking it out & beating on it... 95% of the miles on my Evo are day to day boring miles, it's the 5% of the miles that count - they are the reason I drive an Evo & not a SUV.
I couldn't agree more.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 05:21 PM

I think I'm gonna stick with the "I drive it how its meant to be driven"

I would say that I drive my EVO hard...but almost never to the point of abuse. I say almost because when my ADVANS started going bald I had many a fun U-turns and could even get some good slippage while turning left from a stoplight. That, IMO is abuse...maybe just abuse of the tires but still abuse.

I don't drag race...but I have had some rolling street starts around town. I almost always shift somewhere between 6-7k, I took it up to 7800 once just to see what happens. I don't really consider high revs to be abuse, though I do understand it requires more frequent maintenance to drive like that.

I rail on every corner I can, just because its fun. I've actually managed to bounce some intoxicated passenger heads off the windows. They weren't happy and I'm not chosen for DD much anymore.

I'm also not afraid to take my car in the dirt. Way I see it, the car is rooted in rally racing and I should be able to wing it out on a gravel or dirt road here and there.

I love my EVO. I have ~9000 miles on it right now. Its bone stock and I'm looking forward to modding it. I'm in the mindset that if I keep up on regular maintenance that the car will treat me good
Old Jan 9, 2004, 05:56 PM

Plenty of clutch drops. My favorite thing to do with my Evo is rev it to 4 or 5 grand on right hand turns and nail it - it reacts just like a rear drive car. It's a friggin blast! Do yourself a favor and drive it HARD - no car should be beat on. Also buy a winter beater to keep the miles off.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 06:01 PM

Winter is non-existant here in Arizona. Guess I'll have to live with the miles
Old Jan 9, 2004, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I dont dump my clutch from 5rpm's i think i did that only ones....
if i would like to go fast from stop light.. i just slippp the clutch a little and let it go, works like a charm. (its better to smell the clutch (i never did) then f. up your trans or axles. (if i wanna go fast from roll by just rev the rpms, go one gear down and dump it... when it comes to turn i love to go side-ways... (about miles? i dont give a sH** i use my car everwhere i go... winter? Fun begins... its just me, and yeah i take care of it... i wash it watch the oil level change fluids, the car will last long, if there will be problem with milage for example 6 years from now? ill swap the engine, and go - the car is a legend and iam willing to keep it forever. sorry for a long post.

Last edited by tweakdsm; Jan 9, 2004 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 06:15 PM
Account Disabled

I dont beat on my evo
Old Jan 9, 2004, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Well saying I am moving from a truck to an Evo in a short while and also that I am still a teen although a good driver will defintely need to learn a thing or two about a AWD Rally inspired super car. So I plan on taking it in VERY, and I mean Very slowly.

Just take it one step at a time. But, once I learn to drive wow will I be having a little bit of fun. No street racing I would love to take it to the track. But other than that Ill just be having fun messing with all the Atlanta ricers we have out here .
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Given that the clutch is something that everyone worries about in these cars I never even slip it between gears, ever. I never "launch" the car..just let the clutch out completely and ram the gas. I always heal and toe it (if necessary), even in daily driving. However, I drive around on boost ALL OF THE TIME and do LURID slides in the rain. Does that qualify as abusing it?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Hard driving = Yes
Clutch Dump = No
Launching = No
QuickShifting = Yes
Hard Turning = Yes
Burnouts = No
Drifting Corners = Somtimes

Its an EVO, Have fun with it
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net
Conclusion: It is possible to enjoy your evo without beating or abusing it.
You said it best! I may have only had my EVO for 2 weeks, but I love the car! I don't necessarily beat on my car and I don't baby it either.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:10 PM

hey evogal!
what color is your evo? we live in calabasas, and my girlfriend keeps seeing 'some chick cruising around' woodland hills in an evo, might that be you?! let us know. if you ever want to take a run on stunt or piuma road give us a shout!
shannon

Quick Reply: Who doesn't beat on their evo?