Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Do you beat on your evo?
Yes, not driving it to full potential is a waste
45.63%
No, I spent $30k and want it to last
54.37%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Who doesn't beat on their evo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2003, 09:42 AM
slt
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who doesn't beat on their evo?

There seems to be a predominant theme that everyone beats on their evo day in and day out. This is further highlighted by comments on buying a used evo. It's seems to be accepted that all evos have the snot driven out of them.

While I start stuff on the highway and take on/off ramps too fast, I don't drop the clutch looking for 1.8 60' times. For the most part I'm fairly easy on my evo. Anyone else like me or am I just wasting my evo experience?
Old Nov 19, 2003, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

i too don't do clutch drops....but i wip my evo around corners and punch the accelerator all the time...bounced off the rev limiter once on accident....i have taken it to its top speed and its handling boundaries....but no clutch drops....is that driving the snot out of it?
Old Nov 19, 2003, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

I don't beat on it!!!

Because I don't have it yet
Old Nov 19, 2003, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

havent dumped the clutch or anything...but i do have a spirited drive now and then on the interstate.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

i am also looking to make my car last so as that i have done the things posted about to my evo...they are not done on a daily basis...so i am going with the make it last choice
Old Nov 19, 2003, 09:51 AM
In Timeout

no clutch drops but I drive as fast as I can whenever possible and take turns as fast as possible but when you live in LA your talking like 15mph
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

i don't beat it, just drive it like it should be driven
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I ENJOY the car when the oppurtunity exist. However, I dont try to launch this car like a pro-stocker! "I dont understand why I have gone through 4 clutches & a transfer case" GO ****ING FIGURE!

The handling & braking abilities of this car is what made me buy it, the knowledge that this engine is capable of easily making more power reliably was also factored in.

I wish I researched the clutch issue. I doubt that I would have bought it then knowing what I know now. I have gotten hard on the gas from a slow roll twice, the clutch slipped once & smelled both times. PIECE OF ****!
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tend to take it fairly easy most of the time, driving my Evo on the street. I do take on/off ramps fairly fast if there isn't traffic in front of me, but still within fairly safe limits: no tires squealing, no under/oversteer...

I do autocross it though, and there I drive it like a wild man. I have done a couple mild launches at one auto-x, though usually the way timing lights are set up there there's no need to launch ('cause you have to make a sharp turn right off the start, before going through the lights).

Still, auto-x is something like 3-6 1-minute runs, every couple weeks or so, so other than tire wear I figure it shouldn't be too bad.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by jotan82
i don't beat it, just drive it like it should be driven
Perfectly worded...
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Treat it good and it will treat you good......
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

I drive it like a Saturn.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

If your not going to drive the evo fast, spend your money in a better direction and get a IS300 HAHHAHA.

Otherwise your a 2F2F groupie that drives an evo because it is cool. I know your not driving it for luxury.

I drive my car because I am a true car enthusiast. That does not mean I should abuse my car like an idiot. It does mean I should enjoy the HP and AWD features of the car.

I enjoy simple things like listening to the turbo and shifting.

Conclusion: It is possible to enjoy your evo without beating or abusing it.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

I have yet to actually drop the clutch on the car after 2k. I get on it on the freeways and do sprints up to 100mph. But, I rarely push it past 7k..

Turbo whine, and telepathic steering is what I enjoy most about it.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Well its my weekend fun car so I do beat on it alittle. I have never launched it and will never unless if somebody is trying ot car jack me. I drive the car mildly around town unless I hit a off ramp or on ramp or a windy wide open road i have to get on the boost at least 3 times everytime I drive it witch is great bug getting 110 miles for halh a tank sucks. But I baught the car to enjoy what it was built for road racing and driving excitment.

There is nothing better than heal toe down shifiting,turbo barking,tires wineing

Quick Reply: Who doesn't beat on their evo?