Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just bought an 06 Evo MR but has issue...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, do not be afraid to create quite a stink over this if you actually want something to be done. Remember to be polite and courteous initially though.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No luck talking to General Sales Manager at Don Harring Plano...

I left the General Sales Manager a message to call me back but he had the salesman I delt with call me back instead. The salesman kept saying that he showed me the VIN stickers and that it had the original bumper...which is true I guess but not the point at all. After going around in circles with the guy he finally transfered me to the General Sales Manager. I explained the situation and he pretty much told me that they were under no obligaition to do anything about it and that he would not help me out. Or to "pound sand" or "**** up a rope" or whatever your favorate quote for get bent is. He got pretty short with me and said that if it was still in town he would have the bumper sanded and painted by "his guy" (probibly another shade tree paint job...great) for around $150. Then said in about the most condescending tone possible "I can send you $100 JUST to make you feel better...but I am NOT going to pay hundreds to have the bumper repainted!". At that point I was SO pissed off I just told him I wasnt going to go away and that he would be hearing from me again and hung up...I'm sure from his tone that he wont be taking my calls from now on since he didnt seem too keen on helping me in any way.

Any ideas on where I should go from here? The place I have been calling is the Plano "branch", or whatever, that I bought it from; is it worth calling the main one in Dallas I guess?

I told him that I am not as mad that it is painted as I am that it is a ****ty job. Not to mention that it is pretty obvious with the wax off... Anyway...any ideas would be awesome...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Take the $100 and get a JDM rear and consider this a life lesson.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:15 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by nemsin
just get a jdm rear.
+1
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take the $100 and get a JDM rear and consider this a life lesson.
I agree here... I used to work as a car salesman and unless it was noticed and mentioned before buying it is very hard to get a general manager to sign off of a repaint, even if the car salesman is trying to get him to. You also have to think how much your time is worth, if you want to keep calling and calling and working up the food chain, go for it, but it sounds like a losing battle. One last suggestion is calling and talking to the director or owner, they hate dealing with customers directly and might force the GM to just fix it.

Dan
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:54 PM

pixx???
Old Jul 19, 2010, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you could send don a pm on here. its donmitsu he should take care of you. also on sat its MOD and it will be held at don herring irving.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 05:58 PM

Oh...I did check the CarFax; it was painfully clean. Nothing but registration.

Here are some pics. It is apparent that it was painted...and after I clay bar cleaned the oxidation and crap out of the place and put two coats of wax on it!

http://web.mst.edu/~cap9qd/EVO/IMG_6507.JPG
http://web.mst.edu/~cap9qd/EVO/IMG_6508.JPG
http://web.mst.edu/~cap9qd/EVO/IMG_6509.JPG
http://web.mst.edu/~cap9qd/EVO/IMG_6514.JPG
http://web.mst.edu/~cap9qd/EVO/IMG_6515.JPG

This is pretty much from all across the top of the rear bumper. Its not so obvious if you look down on the bumper but is very apparent if you get down and look at it strait on. I could not get the light right for the bondo marks to show up in the pictures...I'll keep trying.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

dealers are the biggest scumbags, i always bring a couple people with me to check over the car just in case i miss anything, also ask to speak with the former owner if the car was traded in there, i also ask for the invoice of what they gave the owner for price that traded the car in or what they bought it from an auction for because this will tell you if something might have been wrong or if they are inflating the price too much. most dealers will buy a car with a bad bumper or body panel from an auction and just repaint it themselves if the car has a clean carfax, like if the person never reported the accident so then the dealer can get away with saying its a non accident car. i once looked at this twin turbo z06 and it had the cleanest carfax but when i told the dealer to put it up on a lift for me the subframe was bent and the whole car was repainted and all the body panels werent sitting right. dealers have a way of working around everything so be careful, i would call and be really nice but if they arent working with you at all just say ok i no my rights and tell them your lawyer will be contacting them soon.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 04:44 PM

Just get a JDM rear.
thats what i did.. lol.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

It happens to a lot of people. Like others have said I would call the dealer if not, just fix the problems before you do anything else to the car...sorry about your bad luck
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, they arent the most pleasant. I almost bough that car but he wouldnt budge on the full price. He just kept telling me how perfect it is and its a super rare MR LOL... I knew from his tone I didnt want to do business with them especially since I am so far away. Take the $1000, buy the JDM rear, and then post their BS all over every forum you can find to warn potential customers.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

+1 JDM bumper
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:25 PM

Oh no kidding! I was wondering who it was that got their deposit in before me. They were not very clear about what was going on until after I sent my money too...then when I demanded the letter saying the car was mine did they come out and say that the deal with you had not actually fallen through yet. I guess that kinda screwed us both...they knew they didnt have to negotiate with you because they had my deposit too. Well...it wasn't as clean as they let on; at least they didn't just tell me that it was SO clean. I started looking around on here thinking that the other buyer may have found out something about the car by posting on here...but didnt find anything. Did you find anything else about the car or just dropped it because of the price? I read all the reviews on here about Don Harring be a stand up dealership so I guess I let my guard down...

The salesman and general sales manager were even more unpleasant to deal with after I brought up the bumper!

Oh...and if they would have offered the $1000 for a new bumper that would have made me happy and I would replace it with a US stock bumper or maybe the JDM; but the manager offered just $100 to basically go away and "settle my conscience".

Last edited by dingus; Jul 20, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:33 PM

Oh yeah...that is one bad RS! Nice!