Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just bought an 06 Evo MR but has issue...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just bought an 06 Evo MR but has issue...

I just picked up a used 2006 Evo MR from Don Harring Mistu in Plano. I kinda got the run around about it at first since someone else got their deposit for the car in an hour before it did but it all worked out. Flew down there to pick it up and drove it back to Arkansas. It runs good (idles a little rough...) but today when I redid the wax job (clay bar, swirl remover, wax) I found that the rear bumper had been painted...and not really very well; it has a lot of bondo marks and is starting to fade where the rear bumper meets the trunk lid. Looks like it was painted so the VIN sticker wasn't painted over. The salesman made a big deal about all the body panels being original and pointed out all the VIN stickers and talked about how clean it was. The bottom front lip is also loose but thats not too bad.

I paid a premium for the thing thinking it was in pretty much new condition...does anyone know if I have any recourse? What should I do about it? I was going to call the salesman tomorrow but not sure if that is who I should start with. I have only had the thing for just over 2 weeks. Just looking for some advice from you guys...and wondering if I am just SOL.

I know Don Harring has really good reviews on this board and others; thats part of the reason I didnt have my guard up as much as I should have...my mistake I guess.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

porbably going to get the "how do we know you didn't do that on the drive home?" or "why is this coming up two weeks later?" kind of deal. I've seen some shady stuff come out of "good" dealers. Sounds like a SOL deal...
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There should be like a 30 day warranty on the car. Call and talk to the general manager, skip the middle men. Be nice and explain your situation, you should always get someone to look at any used car. Hope this helps some
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:32 PM

Yeah...I went against my better judgment (since it was such low miles and the pictures looked really good) and didn't take it anywhere to have it looked at. I had pretty much decided to get it based on the pictures since I was so far away and couldn't just go look at it. I am not really unhappy with it other than the bumper...
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

It doesn't hurt to try. The longer you wait the harder it will be to get an answer or something in return.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

I bought mine thinking it was a "clean" car also...then I found out it had been hit in the R/R quarter. It leaks water into the trunk when it rains right where the seam for the quarter is when you open the trunk I bought the car from a dealer I worked at for almost 10 years as a tech...told me to pound sand...
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Some great advice here. I will add "the squeaky wheel gets the oil!" Try...what will you lose beside some time.

Murph
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah, i just bought a truck, and on the lot it seemed pristine. got it home and still all good. then, after the first car wash a week later, i noticed a whole bunch of dents and stuff i didn't see before. i'll just take it with a grain of salt cause it's a 99, but if you paid a whole bunch of money, i would definately call and see if they would do anything. if not, just add it to the list of eventual mods.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

i did the same thing too, pretty much buying sight unseen, got ok deal and was great to deal with dealer on phone instead of there BS sales stuff. But ended up with a car that has new Tran Case, that i just found out about. and pretty much wonder if the body panels that look a diff shade of silver where also ever in a wreak. But car runs great thou.

But yea call the manager and keep calling him, make that wheel real squeeky
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Just get a JDM rear.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:44 AM

def worth a shot. like everyone else sayin, worse they can say is no. did anything show up on the carfax?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:38 AM

Good luck OP, after you take it off the lot, you're usually on your own.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Yea, honestly this all shld've been checked before you bought the car...but we all make mistakes. Hope you get everything squared away tho.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ron burgandy
Be nice and explain your situation
this hardly ever works. be very consistant in saying that you want your rear bumper taken care of. tell them you won't take no for an answer. these dealers will drop you like a fly if they sense any hesitation or nervousness especially that your a "out of town-er."

you are owed what you were told. if that was a clean car and they hadn't mentioned any shody paint work it's their responsibility. +1 on checking the carfax if you haven't already.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:03 AM

A respectable dealer should come through for you on this. If they truly didnt know it had body work done, they will make good on it.

However, if they did it on purpose and LIED to you about it being pristine original body panels, then you might be in for a fight.. make enough noise and you might see something come if it though. They will probably hope you just quietly dissappear.

Quick Reply: Just bought an 06 Evo MR but has issue...