Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

windshield crack

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windshield crack

i have a evo 9 2006 , and yesterday the windshield crack , i need a replacement .
wich of the regular lancer fits and looks the same as the original windshield??
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the lancers windshield are thicker than an evos. My friend with a 06 evo cracked his and got it replaced at one of those quick shops, and that could be the problem there, but his is definitely thicker than the oem one
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Standing Z
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the lancers windshield are thicker than an evos. My friend with a 06 evo cracked his and got it replaced at one of those quick shops, and that could be the problem there, but his is definitely thicker than the oem one
+1 more thicker
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

When I had mine replaced 2 years ago, I didn't even tell safelite its the evolution model just the regular lancer model and it fit perfectly. It did seem thicker than the oem evo's though. To me thicker windshield seems tougher on rock chips.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is probably best to call you insurance company and let them take care of it. Of course there will be a deductable, but they should come see it and you can get it fixed wherever you want or even from a company that comes to the car's location and can install it on the spot.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 04:54 PM

Just went to the glass company for mine, they didnt even have a different listing for the Evo. Lancer was it
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:24 AM

The stock Lancer windshield is thicker from what I hear which is why I never replaced mine when it had a small crack in it.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by neonhorse
Just went to the glass company for mine, they didnt even have a different listing for the Evo. Lancer was it
same things for me... ill try mitsu dealer
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:56 PM

best to try a dealership.

I got mine replaced about 2 years ago and specificly said it needs to be a Mistu windshield for the evo, and they still installed the lancer version.

but really, it's just a little thicker. is that a problem? I mean seriously, aren't you spilting hairs on this?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If a normal glass guy comes to fix it, he'll have aftermarket Lancer glass. You would need to talk to your insurance company and let them know yours is a different part number from the dealer and you want OE glass. No aftermarket company makes an Evo specific replacement, so if it doesn't have a Mitsu stamp on it, it's not Evo glass.

Yes, it doesn't really make much difference, but the Evo glass is different. These differences are part of why we pay higher insurance premiums ... parts are more expensive. You have the right to request the correct glass if you want.

I had my side glass replaced (which is the same as the Lancer I believe) and specifically requested OE glass as a replacement. They brought aftermarket glass. The color is slightly off on it and that used to bother me, but I'm used to it now. If it was a windshield, I would have sent it back, but I was paying out of pocket for this as it was below my deductible.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:26 PM

Does anyone know the rational for the thinner glass on the Evo?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:28 PM

the 100 gram weight loss gains a .000042 second advantage on the track.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
this ^ , but seriously does anyone know the weight differences? if its more than 5 pounds difference, shouldn't it be considered?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys , here in my country there are only as i know 5 evos , and i went to the dealer here for the regular lancer and ralliart and the windshield is the same ,but have a difference in the center of the widshield on your inside rearview mirror ,on the evo the windshield disimulates de mounting for the rearview , so it looks diferent , my questios is wich us lancer windshield looks the same as the evo windshield or i have to spend to buy the original??

the window crack five minutes after i start the engine with ac , so somebody told me that coud be the change of temperature could crack he windshield i really never here about that but it was like i told. the windshield was never hit by a rock or something on the road.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:59 PM

you can crack the windshield with abrupt tempature changes. if you have a hairline crack, a quick change in tempature such as ice cold to really warm could crack it, or a pot hole even.

I didn't notice a difference between my stock evo windshield and my after market one. if you have to, just get the after market one.

Quick Reply: windshield crack