Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

"Mildly" flooded Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Mildly" flooded Evo

Looking for some insight on how my car may be affected in the mid-long term by some flooding.

The heavy rains in the Chicago area this past weekend partially flooded my Evo. It was parked on a slight decline, so it looks like I got more water in the fronts than the rears. Not sure exactly how high it got and if water got up to the ECU - conttents in the glove compartment were dry but the front seat cushions were soaked up to the lower back area, very odd. When I opened the doors, no water came flooding out - it was at a level below the seat rails. I did not have the windows open. In the rears, the seat cushions were perfectly dry.

I started the car up and it sputtered a little bit at the beginning, I'm guessing it was pushing water out of the exhaust. Driving around now, there doesn't seem to be any problems with accelerating, idling or shifting so I am cautiously optimistic that the engine, trans and electronics are unaffected. However, SRS light remains on all the time. Speakers, lights and gauges all function normally. ACD lights are all lit up but its been like this for a while now.

I've begun the process of drying the entire thing out, but what's the worst I can expect at this point? Is this something worth insurance looking at? THanks in advance.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would probably take out the carpet and wash it along with a full electrical check

Certified mechanic to look at it would be nice too.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:30 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you're lucky, if it is running, you are good. just dry the seats, carpets, blow dry the dash, electrical wiring, etc. I would drain the fuel tank, and fill with fresh one, change the oil, tranny oil, transfer case oil, ACD, differential, etc.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:39 PM

Wasnt there just another thread like this one? Have insurance come take a look at it they may just give you a whole new interior or even give you all the money back for the car. You may get lucky.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I just recently passed 60,000 miles so I'm about to get that service done, should cover the fluids. Carpet appears to be a pain to get back in, what with tucking it back under the side sills. But I guess I am lucky that its still running so I will not complain. Read in the other flooded Evo thread that interior rust will become a problem - how realistic is this concern?

My dilemma is this - if the flood damage is perceived to be irreversible, I've got it in mind to gut the thing and begin tracking it. A dream of mine that I've never pursued because the car was so clean, so stock and fun to drive as is. But if the interior is going to smel like a swamp and rust out in a few years, then I will gradually head down the track car route. Not something I want to do if the car can realistically be returned to daily driveable condition though...

I have thought about the insurance route, and I'm up in the air about that. I don't want my premiums going up if this damage is repairable. It is temping though because that leaves the track car route wide open. Definitely considering this, depending on what the mechanic has to say after I have them give it a once over.

Last edited by Noob4life; Jul 25, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

if i was in your shoes, i'd get an estimate from your insurance for flood damage and take their cash. then you can decide if you want to spend the money to replace any moldy interior pieces and labor to exam it or dump that money into your new track car haha
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:01 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would not go to the insurance route for two reasons, reporting it will mean flood damage reported and it is good if they total it and you get the money. two, you will not get the true market value of your car. based on the mileage, minor flood damage and resale they might agree to fix it and not total the car but have the stigma/flagged for a flooded car. I would just go to a professional detailer and have it dried and pay for it. from your description, it looks like a minor damage, like leaving a sunroof open in the middle of a heavy pouring rain. if you look at the carpet of the evo, it is very thin, there should be no problem drying it and keeping it smelly clean.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks again for the info folks, sincerely appreciated. I will look for a detailer and see what they can do for me.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:56 AM

I actually had a friend who has a mazdaspeed 3 and his car got flooded insurance covered his whole interior and it was all good after that. Maybe all you want redone is your interior if everything else is all right.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

make the insurance pay we give them enough money as it is..
Old Sep 9, 2014, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
you're lucky, if it is running, you are good. just dry the seats, carpets, blow dry the dash, electrical wiring, etc. I would drain the fuel tank, and fill with fresh one, change the oil, tranny oil, transfer case oil, ACD, differential, etc.
i'll probably do the t-case and rear diff, why the gas tank? i'll probably leave the trans alone too. that said, mine was way more mild. barely got the carpet wet, and only on one side
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
The interior will rust in certain areas where the most water can pool. You will need to take out the seats and pull out the carpet. The top of the carpet will be drier than the bottom. Also would be a good idea to take out the dash and dry the insulation behind it. Taking the time to dry out the electronics now will keep the connectors from corroding later.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

It's not going to rust overnight. Pull the interior and dry it out and you should be fine. Hell, go talk to one of those SERVPRO places and get some advice on drying the carpet.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd go insurance. There are so many issues that can happen in the future.
For instance, the electrical system works now, but internally it may rust over time, there can still be moisture throughout the entire system.

I personally believe waiting is a risk for something that you wont' be able to claim in the future.
You can access this if you strip your interior and try to understand how much of the car was under water, then decide what you want to do.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

i always parked my bmw 745 in the garage but i was working on my evo for a week so the car sat outside, my driveway is at a slight angle. It was raining for like a whole week straight. I didnt know my sunroof drain tubes were clogged so water got in through the sunroof seal inside the car. So like 7 days later i opened the car and it stinks, healiner is all saggy, water stains on the pillars, carpet is soaked but only in the back because of my driveway angle, trunk is all moist, even started growing green mold in spots.
I called up the insurance and they ended up paying out like 1500 after deductible. They quoted for headliner to be redone and shampoo vacuum the carpet. Nothing needed to be replaced in their eyes. Anyways i cleaned the carpets and everything else myself the only thing i let the upholstery shop do is the headliner and pillars.
Carpet on bmw is crazy thick, it got so much padding for sound proffing and stuff its like 5 - 6 inches thick so it wasnt really fun to dry and get all the water out. I probably pumped out like 5 gallons from inside the car.
But i didnt get a total loss or anything flood related showing on carfax or nothing like that. I think it was worth it for me to go through the insurance, i got everything fixed and had some $$$ left over.

Quick Reply: "Mildly" flooded Evo