Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Thinkin about the Evo8 ... have RX8

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2003 | 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by EVIL VIII
I would recommend getting your refund check from Mazda for them lying about the power in the RX8, then sell the X-Men chariot!! I have eaten 3 or 4 of them so badly, they did the ricer right turn so they didn't have to pull up next to me at the next light. I crack up when RX8 owners say it out handles the STi and EVO VIII...I think that's how the salesrep got them in the car...215whp is pathetic IMHO...without forced induction, the RX-anything is weak!! That's just me though...
I agree 100%. I owned a S2000 before the evo and i have to say that I really like the evo better. Yes the S2000 is a fun car but only when the weather is good. As for the evo, any weather it does not madder. Always fun. Get the EVO.
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by EVIL VIII
215whp is pathetic IMHO...without forced induction, the RX-anything is weak!! That's just me though...
....also put 4 people in the RX-8 and imagine how slow it'll feel.
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by NskGenakuDuckie

I don't own an evo but from what I know is that JDM evo's have 60rear/40front torque split, so it acts like a rwd making it drift much easier. US spec evos are 50/50 torque split, it makes the car more user friendly/safer (for people that lacks driving skill).

I mean, people have diff definitions of drifting. Are you saying the US spec evo can do donuts and go around a whole entire turn with the rear sliding out when the power is on?

Yes you can make a car oversteer whereas the back end kicks out, just stiffen the rear suspension and add a bigger rear sway bar, you can even make a FWD car's rear end slide out in a turn during hard trailbraking. However just having the rear swing out and power on (car straightens back out), that's not really drifting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if possible post a vid of your evo drifting maybe. As of now I'm still a skeptic
You are right about the mod part. Any car can be MODDED to oversteer. We are talking about a stock evo. The Stock evo has oversteer which means the rear end will kick out first.

The JDM evo runs a 50/50 in normal driving conditions and turning. The AYC computer will adjust the torque in different conditions.

Why would I need a video, The evo has drifted numerous times in the 4 times it won the WRC.

Drifting is different than a RWD powerslide.

To the idiot who thinks the EVO does not drift:
http://www.gti18t.com/files/lancer500.wmv

Stop playing Initial D and GT3.
These are only video games.

http://www.CarPhoto.net

Last edited by CarPhoto.net; Nov 20, 2003 at 01:55 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net

[/url]
i just shed a tear
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 02:05 PM

You're comparing the WRC evo with your US spec evo? No offense but as I had said, the JDM spec evo has 60 rear and 40 front torque split, and I don't know what the ratio is on the WRC evo but they're able to drift/slide like that on tarmac because of that.

The US spec is 50/50, so unless you got an insane amount of power you're not going to be sliding sideways with the gas pedal all the way down. I guess the jdm evo 8 has variable torque split, but from the first evo until evo 7 they had 60 rear 40 front.

Drifting is a very vague topic, people have all sorts of definition for drifting. Hell some stupid people think yanking on the handbrake and doing a 180 is drifting. So lets not get into that.

All I'm saying is the eclipse gsx, US spec subaru wrx, even the US spec evo, is 50/50 torque split, and I have yet to see a drift with any of those cars. So that's why I asked for the vid, if you can do it with your car, show me and i'll be a believer. It just can't happen because as soon as you go sideways, when you press on the gas, your car straightens out. If you've seen best of motoring vids (which I've been a big fan of since 1995), evo's can drift and do awd donuts easily, my point is that the US spec can't do the same due to 50/50.

It's actually a good thing because it's more "neutral", if the rear slides out, smash on the gas and you're straightened out. If we got the 60/40 we'd seee a lot of young kids dead.
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

You are right about the mod part. Any car can be MODDED to oversteer. We are talking about a stock evo. The Stock evo has oversteer which means the rear end will kick out first.

The JDM evo runs a 50/50 in normal driving conditions and turning. The AYC computer will adjust the torque in different conditions.

Why would I need a video, The evo has drifted numerous times in the 4 times it won the WRC.

Drifting is different than a RWD powerslide.

Stop playing Initial D and GT3.
These are only video games.

As far as I was aware, the AYC and the ACD are junked when the cars are rallied. At least in GroupN anyway, I don't know about the WRC class. The active differentials are retained only in the steet versions of the Evos.

Also, an Evo with AYC will NOT drift properly. Most old Evos you see that drift are likely to be RS cars equipped with a mechanical LSD like ours. Head over to lancerregister.com and ask those who have actually used the AYC.

Claudius, one of our best sources of information here, junked the AYC on his Evo6 TME for a RS diff. In his opinion (and many others) the AYC is a piece of junk that in fact causes understeer. His experimentation with AYC determined that braking into the corner is okay, but upon acceleration, the AYC caused the rear to stick in, and the front to push out. Super understeer.

That's why he got an RS diff and a front LSD. It's the best way to go. ACD on the other hand, is a different story..

Last edited by zstryder; Nov 20, 2003 at 02:46 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

You're comparing the WRC evo with your US spec evo? No offense but as I had said, the JDM spec evo has 60 rear and 40 front torque split, and I don't know what the ratio is on the WRC evo but they're able to drift/slide like that on tarmac because of that.

The US spec is 50/50, so unless you got an insane amount of power you're not going to be sliding sideways with the gas pedal all the way down. I guess the jdm evo 8 has variable torque split, but from the first evo until evo 7 they had 60 rear 40 front.

Drifting is a very vague topic, people have all sorts of definition for drifting. Hell some stupid people think yanking on the handbrake and doing a 180 is drifting. So lets not get into that.

All I'm saying is the eclipse gsx, US spec subaru wrx, even the US spec evo, is 50/50 torque split, and I have yet to see a drift with any of those cars. So that's why I asked for the vid, if you can do it with your car, show me and i'll be a believer. It just can't happen because as soon as you go sideways, when you press on the gas, your car straightens out. If you've seen best of motoring vids (which I've been a big fan of since 1995), evo's can drift and do awd donuts easily, my point is that the US spec can't do the same due to 50/50.

It's actually a good thing because it's more "neutral", if the rear slides out, smash on the gas and you're straightened out. If we got the 60/40 we'd seee a lot of young kids dead.
Torque spilt will not stop any good drifter from drifting.

YOU DON'T EVEN OWN AN EVO

Just because you have not seen it does not mean it is non-existant.

I showed you a video of an EVO drifting. That video did not have a WRC evo in it. US spec EVO's drift easily because the limmited slip system is not as good as the JDM.
Any car can drift son. Notice how no mod is accusing me of flamming. My information is accurate.

A us spec EVO with a 50/50 torque spilt does not mean the car is GLUED to the road and will not drift or have the back slip out.

It is obvious you do not know much about car physics or drifting. Where do you get your facts, Initial D HHAAH.

For me to make you a video is a waste of my time. Time is money. Show me some money and your wish can be priced.

I know my facts and at what point my car will drift.

If you question my driving skill goto the race track and prove me wrong.
http://www.dsmtimes.org/evo.htm
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zstryder

As far as I was aware, the AYC and the ACD are junked when the cars are rallied. At least in GroupN anyway, I don't know about the WRC class. The active differentials are retained only in the steet versions of the Evos.

Also, an Evo with AYC will NOT drift properly. Most old Evos you see that drift are likely to be RS cars equipped with a mechanical LSD like ours. Head over to lancerregister.com and ask those who have actually used the AYC.

Claudius, one of our best sources of information here, junked the AYC on his Evo6 TME for a RS diff. In his opinion (and many others) the AYC is a piece of junk that in fact causes oversteer. His experimentation with AYC determined that braking into the corner is okay, but upon acceleration, the AYC caused the rear to stick in, and the front to push out. Super understeer.

That's why he got an RS diff and a front LSD. It's the best way to go. ACD on the other hand, is a different story..
I agree completely which is why I said the US spec drifts much better than JDM. Some guy thinks that because the US spec is 50/50 torque spilt you can't drift in it. I told him 50/50 wont stop a drifter. He said, "show me a vid". Just cause hes never seen it he thinks its impossible.

Stock US spec evos can drift. Any other Evo drivers second this?
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

The EVO has drifted in rally with AYC stripped out, I do not need to give this guy any more evidence.
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

He he

Don't listen to CarPhoto. I don't know what he's rambling on about.

The RX8 is a nice car and certainly has a lot going for it. But if you are looking for something....more, the Evo is a great choice. My previous several cars were RWD and as much as I enjoyed the power-on oversteer, the AWD is quite nice. It is easy to get used to - you just get on the power pretty much whenever. Its general tendency is to understeer slightly, but it generally isn't bad. In the dry, you would really have to try to get some power-on oversteer though(with the car stock). So basically, it isn't as "fun" (I loved getting the tail out on occasion), but isn't a plowing pig either. Instead, you get nice controllable acceleration out of turns. And in the wet, it is really impressive.

Definitely get a test drive and pay attention to:

the acceleration, which is more than adequate but also the power delivery is very smooth and controllable

the brakes

the quick, communicative steering

the stiffness of the chassis (although I would think the RX8 does equally well here. don't know for certain)

pedals are set up nicely for heel-and-toe

the seats - very supportive and firm

Can you tell I really like mine?

Joe
http://www.joe250.com
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 02:38 PM

Torque spilt will not stop any good drifter from drifting.

YOU DON'T EVEN OWN AN EVO

Just because you have not seen it does not mean it is non-existant.

I showed you a video of an EVO drifting. That video did not have a WRC evo in it. US spec EVO's drift easily because the limmited slip system is not as good as the JDM.
Any car can drift son. Notice how no mod is accusing me of flamming. My information is accurate.

A us spec EVO with a 50/50 torque spilt does not mean the car is GLUED to the road and will not drift or have the back slip out.

It is obvious you do not know much about car physics or drifting. Where do you get your facts, Initial D HHAAH.

For me to make you a video is a waste of my time. Time is money. Show me some money and your wish can be priced.

I know my facts and at what point my car will drift.

If you question my driving skill goto the race track and prove me wrong.
http://www.dsmtimes.org/evo.htm
You got one hell of an attitude problem.

As I said, drifting is a very vague topic. You could very well be just having major oversteer into a corner, and call yourself a drifter. Altough you may consider that "drifting", others may not.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, all I'm asking for is a vid of a US SPEC EVO drifting and/or doing donuts. I'm not trying to degrade your cars here, I'm just curious as to whether it could really do it or not. Showing me the 500hp JUN evo and the WRC evo drifting and then telling me "oh yea since they can do it my car can do it too" is stupid.

From what you've said it's obvious that you're one of those kids that think yanking on the handbrake is drifting, or oversteering losing the back end is drifting. Drifting is such a ricey trend now in the US, every kid thinks they can drift
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

You got one hell of an attitude problem.

As I said, drifting is a very vague topic. You could very well be just having major oversteer into a corner, and call yourself a drifter. Altough you may consider that "drifting", others may not.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, all I'm asking for is a vid of a US SPEC EVO drifting and/or doing donuts. I'm not trying to degrade your cars here, I'm just curious as to whether it could really do it or not. Showing me the 500hp JUN evo and the WRC evo drifting and then telling me "oh yea since they can do it my car can do it too" is stupid.

From what you've said it's obvious that you're one of those kids that think yanking on the handbrake is drifting, or oversteering losing the back end is drifting. Drifting is such a ricey trend now in the US, every kid thinks they can drift
I have drifted in my car. Other EVO owners have drifted in there cars.

A vid is not neccesary because this is common knowledge for EVO owners. Most evo owners would have asked you to do a SEARCH! Instead I took the time to prove you wrong.

I am not talking about losing control and sliding NOOB.
I do the scandinavian FLICK.
Real drivers know what I mean.

Your the one with the attitude. I am posting facts, your posting rice rumors based on your life experience only. Your the one flossing your opionion.
I am telling you the following: US SPEC EVO DRIFTS

Old Nov 20, 2003 | 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Re: He he

Originally posted by Joe250
Don't listen to CarPhoto. I don't know what he's rambling on about.

The RX8 is a nice car and certainly has a lot going for it. But if you are looking for something....more, the Evo is a great choice. My previous several cars were RWD and as much as I enjoyed the power-on oversteer, the AWD is quite nice. It is easy to get used to - you just get on the power pretty much whenever. Its general tendency is to understeer slightly, but it generally isn't bad. In the dry, you would really have to try to get some power-on oversteer though(with the car stock). So basically, it isn't as "fun" (I loved getting the tail out on occasion), but isn't a plowing pig either. Instead, you get nice controllable acceleration out of turns. And in the wet, it is really impressive.

Definitely get a test drive and pay attention to:

the acceleration, which is more than adequate but also the power delivery is very smooth and controllable

the brakes

the quick, communicative steering

the stiffness of the chassis (although I would think the RX8 does equally well here. don't know for certain)

pedals are set up nicely for heel-and-toe

the seats - very supportive and firm

Can you tell I really like mine?

Joe
http://www.joe250.com
I was originaly talking about how AWD is superior to RWD and some noob highjacked the forum by saying you can't drift in an EVO period.

Please do not flame me without reading the thread.
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 02:54 PM

Replied to your PM carphoto.net.

No point in arguing anymore. I get your point, and if you think that's drifting congrats.... go enter the D1 grandprix.

Scandanavian flick eh? Do i know what that is? Geez.

Example:

Going into a right hand corner, flick steering left, immediately flicking steering right while at the same time jab the brake.... tail slides out, and flick left again to countersteer while going WOT (all happens extremely quick).

Sounds about right? ok.... I know more than you think because drifting is MaD tYTe yOz, and I sit in my room watching inital D 24/7

I knew how to do that before initial D even came out, and I learned about drifting way before it was out in the US. Since 1995 maybe?
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

US SPEC EVOS CAN DRIFT. I live near you and I can take you for a ride in my car at the next http://www.socalevo.net meet.

Quick Reply: Thinkin about the Evo8 ... have RX8