Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Thinkin about the Evo8 ... have RX8

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinkin about the Evo8 ... have RX8

ok people. I currently have a RX8 6 speed GT fully loaded. Its a tight car and all, but for some reason I am having multiple problems with it. I do not want to list, cuz people generally do not want to hear about *****ing... anyways I am thinking about the EVO VIII... I know its an incredible car. RX8 is not a race bred machine... and I am looking for a performance monster. Only problem is that AWD is kinda weird for me. Is it hard adjusting from RWD to AWD? Do you regret your purchase? Are there any prominent problems with th EVO 8 that I should be concerned with? Your input is greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

Tell us about your RX-8 and issues you're having? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested, I know I am. My friend is interested in the RX-8/Evo and I'd like some input if any.

As for the Evo, I have not one second regretted it! If I had to make the choice again I'd do it, no doubt about it. The car maybe doesn't have the most awesome power numbers, but it has by far the greatest fun factor. It's like driving a 300hp go kart, if you can imagine. Point and shoot, and that's what reels me in. It makes driving that much more fun. I have not driven a RWD hi-po sports car, so I cannot say what it's like. All I know is that the AWD feels glued to the road around all corners, I've only experienced 4 wheel drift while trail braking or in the rain. In the dry, it does understeer some at the limit, but it's definitely NOT something you'll notice in everyday driving.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 03:43 AM
Evolving Member

RWD has an evil back end kick out in rain, turning and other situations. When my AWD slipped in the rain, the front pulls it. I will never go back to RWD unless it is a drift competition. AWD is the best drivetrain for the streets and offroad.

AWD allows one more usable street power. You can shift in turns!

The only difference between AWD and RWD is AWD has way more GRIP. Even your RX-8 with the worlds best suspension wont out slalom a EVO 8. Your back end will always slip out because there is more torque at the rear end.

When the Evo rear end slips out the front pulls it.

The evo also has a good limited slip differential.

Last edited by CarPhoto.net; Nov 20, 2003 at 06:00 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

problems with the RX8 - gas mileage, bs service from mazda, recall crap, ecu restrictions on performance, rotary engine is not all its hyped up to be, lower performance figures, 15 sec quarter mile times, no turbo, tire pressure monitoring system is pretty much useless and has many flaws, restriction of aftermarket support, b-pillar suicide door configuration restricts certain types of racing, and recently we are hearing that people are having their engines and trannies fail within the first 2000 miles of having one. Maybe I have a lemon? RWD I prefer cuz I know with AWD you get understeer which I really hate. Well with DSC and other traction control systems in modern cars wet driving with RWD is not really a problem. Actually I do not really prefer DSC but it helps sometimes, but its annoying you have to turn off to certain spirited driving.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

yes , i think switching up for a evo would be a great idea . you would love it
Old Nov 20, 2003, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Understeer isnt that bad at all because its so easy to correct. The back end of the evo most of the time stays glued but you can easily get it to come loose. Its very controllable. The steering is so quick that just a flick will get you back on track, or sideways if you prefer

Nothing is quite like a AWD drift

Stock, an evo can push a lot but its not bad, but a slightly modded evo WILL power oversteer. Again its very controllable. The evo doesnt play many tricks on you.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ImportUpgrade
problems with the RX8 - gas mileage, bs service from mazda, recall crap, ecu restrictions on performance, rotary engine is not all its hyped up to be, lower performance figures, 15 sec quarter mile times, no turbo, tire pressure monitoring system is pretty much useless and has many flaws, restriction of aftermarket support, b-pillar suicide door configuration restricts certain types of racing, and recently we are hearing that people are having their engines and trannies fail within the first 2000 miles of having one. Maybe I have a lemon? RWD I prefer cuz I know with AWD you get understeer which I really hate. Well with DSC and other traction control systems in modern cars wet driving with RWD is not really a problem. Actually I do not really prefer DSC but it helps sometimes, but its annoying you have to turn off to certain spirited driving.
YOU ARE WRONG. The evo has oversteer like the RX-8.
How do you think Evos drift so well. The EVO back end kicks out because it has 50/50 Front/Rear power ratio and the car has a 60/40 front/rear ratio balance with limited slip differentials. The front end of the car pivots while the back end slips out. Watch the WRC (world rally championship) if you think evos rear ends don't kick out. US spec EVOS drift better than JDM because the JDM has the advanced AYC which helps the rear end stay glued.

Why did you guys not correct this man. Do you guys own Evos?

The back end is the first to kick out on an EVO.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

The 350Z has understeer and it's real wheel drive so....

Get the EVO. Besides if I'm not satisfied with the power the 350Z which has about 60-70 hp more than the RX-8, I would be MISERABLE if I owned an RX8 (I've raced an RX and man it was slow).

I hope to get into an EVO myself. Good luck
Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

ImportUpgrade,

After 2 weeks of test driving the STi, RX-8, and Evo back to back I finally went with the Evo.

The only *real* thing you're giving up going from the 8 to the Evo are the leather seats, the much better-looking interior, and a better looking exterior. You're also giving up having a 6th gear, but if you drive the Evo you'll realize a 6th gear really isn't necessary.

What you'll be gaining moving from the RX-8 to the Evo? Lower insurance rates, a much more reliable, MUCH more powerful, MUCH more "modable" engine that gets better gas mileage. You're gaining a lot of practicaility...you're going to have a USABLE rear seat. I am 6'3", I can put the driver's seat all the way back and with the seat all the way back *I* can fit behind my seat! In the RX-8, forget it...the back seats were a joke.

I seriously debated both of those cars (the STi wasn't even in the running...it is overpriced and handles like a pig compared to the other two cars) for 3-4 days. Both are nice cars, but like you said, the RX-8 is just simply underpowered.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net

YOU ARE WRONG. The evo has oversteer like the RX-8.
How do you think Evos drift so well. The EVO back end kicks out because it has 50/50 Front/Rear power ratio and the car has a 60/40 front/rear ratio balance with limited slip differentials. The front end of the car pivots while the back end slips out. Watch the WRC (world rally championship) if you think evos rear ends don't kick out. US spec EVOS drift better than JDM because the JDM has the advanced AYC which helps the rear end stay glued.

Why did you guys not correct this man. Do you guys own Evos?

The back end is the first to kick out on an EVO.
I don't own an evo but from what I know is that JDM evo's have 60rear/40front torque split, so it acts like a rwd making it drift much easier. US spec evos are 50/50 torque split, it makes the car more user friendly/safer (for people that lacks driving skill).

I mean, people have diff definitions of drifting. Are you saying the US spec evo can do donuts and go around a whole entire turn with the rear sliding out when the power is on?

Yes you can make a car oversteer whereas the back end kicks out, just stiffen the rear suspension and add a bigger rear sway bar, you can even make a FWD car's rear end slide out in a turn during hard trailbraking. However just having the rear swing out and power on (car straightens back out), that's not really drifting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if possible post a vid of your evo drifting maybe. As of now I'm still a skeptic
Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

EVO ALL THE WAY BABY
Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:42 AM

I had an RX7 that I sold to buy my EVO. I absolutely love it. I was very much interested in the RX8 but then I saw the fact that there is no turbo!!! That quickly changed my mind about getting the rx8 . So, I bought the EVO with no regrets!! If you like drifting, this is the car for you. Ive personally had it sideways many a night or day!!! the rear end kicks out with ease!! I do have to say this though. When mazda comes out with another RX7 with a turbo and 2 doors, the EVO is going away and I will buy the 7. I just love the rotary motor! Call me crazy?
Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

I am not sure how well a stock Evo will hold up over time, but with a modified one, you will start breaking parts. Transfer case and trannies do go. Maybe I'm just a bad example, but I know others that had similar problems. Also, the Evo 8 does make squeaks and rattles, but the dealership will take care of it. Build quality in all Mitsubishis aren't up to par with say, a Honda or Toyota. The car does corner great, and accelerate hard. Oh yeah, Mitsubishi, like Mazda, are dicks about warranty work. Know that before buying the car.

I was looking into getthing the RX8, but heard a lot of complaints about it. I do love the styling though, even though the the whole rear doors thing don;t do anything for me. Maybe somewhere down the line I'll pick one up.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:45 AM

Oh ya, I almost forgot. I've done AWD donuts. It might not be too good for the drive-train though. It SEEMS LIKE IF THE FRONT LEFT TIRE IS SMOKING, THEN THE RIGHT REAR IS ALSO SMOKING. It feels really weird. try it!!!
Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I would recommend getting your refund check from Mazda for them lying about the power in the RX8, then sell the X-Men chariot!! I have eaten 3 or 4 of them so badly, they did the ricer right turn so they didn't have to pull up next to me at the next light. I crack up when RX8 owners say it out handles the STi and EVO VIII...I think that's how the salesrep got them in the car...215whp is pathetic IMHO...without forced induction, the RX-anything is weak!! That's just me though...

Quick Reply: Thinkin about the Evo8 ... have RX8