Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VIII

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo VIII

I recently found a very pretty 2003 Evo VIII for a really great price. When I called and spoke with the dealer about the car, he told me the reason it was so low was because the engine needed a little work. He told me that when it starts, it blows out white smoke. He thought it was the turbo seals, piston rings, or possibly the head gasket. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this, if so, what was the outcome?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sk8rdudette1
I recently found a very pretty 2003 Evo VIII for a really great price. When I called and spoke with the dealer about the car, he told me the reason it was so low was because the engine needed a little work. He told me that when it starts, it blows out white smoke. He thought it was the turbo seals, piston rings, or possibly the head gasket. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this, if so, what was the outcome?
Sounds like the motor needs to be rebuilt.

Find a different car. One with no issues, if you can't afford that, chance are you can't afford one that needs work.

Good luck hunting.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:45 PM

/\ +1

you never want to deal with someone else's problem. he knows what is wrong, and just doesn't want to say.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

white smoke is water if it dissapates pretty quick, blue smoke is usually burning oil, either way the evo isn't a cheap car to fix if you don't do your own maint... run like the wind bro
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The car most likely needs a headgasket, if not a whole engine teardown.

If you are mechanically inclined, and have extra cash.... Remove the entire engine and rebuild. If it's that great of a deal, get an engine from a part out.

Good luck.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:26 PM

I don't mind doing a little bit of work on it myself however, I don't want to be doing a complete rebuild. The price isn't THAT great.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

first of all how cheap are we talking about??? how many miles on he car?? is the car built or stock?? need some more info to help you out.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:02 PM

The car is around $10K and it looks pretty stock. It has a new turbo and about 75,000 miles on it.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:03 PM

just post the add. just remember, a long block can cost upwards to $6k
Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:51 PM

leaking valve seals? might be leaking when the car is off and puffs it out when it starts.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Does it smoke a lot less after a cold start up? If so it may be the valve seals...or 100 different problems.

If i had the chance to jump on a 10k evo with low miles (assuming the body is clean and the title is clear) I would do it without much hesitation. I wouldnt purchase it however with the concept of rushing it onto the road ASAP.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:13 PM

Thanks everyone, hopefully it won't be anything too critical. I appreciate all the input.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't even think about it. It's easy to say if I get it for 6k cheaper than normal than I can buy a 2.4l block and yada but there's so much small things to that you'll need to do not to mention I bet if the engines junk, then there's a high chance of a faulty transfer case bad clutch turbo leaks tranny issues brake wear suspension issues, a ton of stuff u won't even see because a faulty engines staring you right in the face.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sk8rdudette1
Thanks everyone, hopefully it won't be anything too critical. I appreciate all the input.

so you still going to pick this up?????? I would stay away, you dont need a headache, especially if your not mechanically inclined.....
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your mechanically inclined go for it. But if you feel like it going to be too much of a headache keep looking around. Times are tough to be spending all that time and money rebuilding if thats not what your looking to do.