Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Trans/Clutch Issue: 1st and Reverse...need ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:25 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trans/Clutch Issue: 1st and Reverse...need ideas

I've searched and searched, and now I need to hear some ideas.

My car recently developed an issue, where it is really hard to get into first gear, and even tougher getting into reverse. The car has 112k miles on it, and has been on an Exedy Twin HD for alittle over a year. I'd say about 10-13k on the clutch. THe fluids were changed to Amsoil MTG when the clutch was installed, as well as a new thow-out bearing.

The car drove perfect over the last year. Never gave me any troubles...until about a month ago. When it first happened, I tried adjust the height of the clutch pedal. It was already almost at the top, but I was able to get a few turns out of it. It helped for about 3 weeks. Now its back to the hard shifting. I never adjust the engagement point when we did the clutch install. It doesn't matter whether the trans is warmed up or not, it just doesn't want to get into first and reverse. All of the other gears shifts fine. Of note, when the car is in neutral, and I depress the clutch pedal, the clutch does sound louder than what it used to be.

Anyone have any ideas? I hate driving the car any more becasue of the issue.

Last edited by chu; Jul 26, 2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you checked all the fluids levels?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:06 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

smh
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:08 PM

check your brake/ clutch fluid level. if thats fine then it sounds like it might be a syncro. if im not mistaken 1st and reverse use the same one. not 100%
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Try adjusting your clutch pedal out a bit. Helps me in the winter when my cars real cold first or reverse is impossible.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:52 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by darkside4G63
check your brake/ clutch fluid level. if thats fine then it sounds like it might be a syncro. if im not mistaken 1st and reverse use the same one. not 100%
Fluid levels have not changed. I checked for leaks and found nothing. I hope its not a sychro! But 112k dd/autox on the original trans doesn't help I guess.

Originally Posted by Sinbig
Try adjusting your clutch pedal out a bit. Helps me in the winter when my cars real cold first or reverse is impossible.
I've already max'd out the adjustment rod. The pedal is at the highest point atm!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I have exactly the same issue. It's a HKS twin plate. I have just bought a used stock clutch to see if it's the clutch issue.
Bleed the clutch but still same.
I have 5th gear synchro issue but later changed to Redline light shock proof 75W140 and it's gone.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:11 PM
chu
Evolved Member

bump for some more ideas! Would if any clutch part that is loose could cause my issue?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clutch....

Good way to check is go through the inspection hole, have someone hit the pedal all the way down and spin the disc. Most likely you will find that one disc is too worn and you can't get it to release all the way.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Just got the used clutch and ready to install. Hope issue gone after clutch install
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:41 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
Clutch....

Good way to check is go through the inspection hole, have someone hit the pedal all the way down and spin the disc. Most likely you will find that one disc is too worn and you can't get it to release all the way.
I'm going to do that tomorrow night. I've already ordered the rebuilt kit incase it is worn. I hope it's just that! Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

got a similar issue - clutch isn't disengaging all the way and with all of the drag and autox that i've been doing lately, and I know the syncros aren’t that great either. I’d rather check over everything and just do it once since its also my dd.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:48 AM
chu
Evolved Member

^^^Mine is a dd also, so I can't afford the downtime. My synchros never showed signs of ware, so I've ruled that out. My gears have never grinded, so I'm confident its not the problem.

Good Luck with yours!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How old is your clutch fluid? When was the last time you changed it? Bleed it completely and put fresh new fluid in. Its possible that you could have cooked the fluid and its not doing its job properly.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, i totally understand the whole down time thing. just recently 5th & reverse have started acting up more, after a recent trip drag racing, so i know the syncros have got to be replaced along with rebuilding the clutch too.
g/l with yours too - hopefully its just the clutch