Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Removing a/c

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing a/c

Hey guys I've been contemplating about pulling the a/c out of my car for a while now as I want to go forward facing kit but not sure what I need exactly to remove it, please chime in as I no I need a different belt but what else?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

not many street cars will have their a/c's removed, you might want to try another section?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by khmerpimpin
not many street cars will have their a/c's removed, you might want to try another section?
Why not answer the question?

If you want to delete your A/C there are many ways to go about it. It all depends on whether your going for the weight which is pretty extensive if you do it right, or whether your going to just remove the rotational mass (compressor itself).
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bobster22388

If you want to delete your A/C there are many ways to go about it. It all depends on whether your going for the weight which is pretty extensive if you do it right, or whether your going to just remove the rotational mass (compressor itself).
i would like to delete the whole thing but i would want to keep the heater in the car, can this be done with deleting the a/c under the dash?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
I removed mine... All you need to do is get the a/c eliminator belt. I didn't remove anything under the dash though...
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you can maintain heat while removing the condensor, compressor, etc....
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by meanmud
I believe you can maintain heat while removing the condensor, compressor, etc....
Yes, that is correct.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bobster22388

Well I haven't looked into doing it on my evo, but I've done it before on honda's, you can start by removing the compressor, condenser, and lines from the engine bay and running the proper belts for the shorter route, as far as what is under the dash I think you may have to leave the a/c hookup box there still as usually the setup is fan>heater core>ac core>vent system. and taking the ac core box out will make the other functions obsolete also.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

What about the hose that will be open going into the firewall does it need to be plugged? And do I need to drain the freon out of it by a shop as well?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoforlife
What about the hose that will be open going into the firewall does it need to be plugged? And do I need to drain the freon out of it by a shop as well?
you could always vent it to the air, but you would be polluting, and yes I would plug the holes on the firewall just so dirt and grime doesnt get into it just incase you may want to put it back later on in life.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

I have this bookmarked, maybe it's of some help:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-any-tips.html
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

you could always vent it to the air, but you would be polluting, and yes I would plug the holes on the firewall just so dirt and grime doesnt get into it just incase you may want to put it back later on in life.
WhY do you mean vent to atmosphere, what is being vented? Do I need to leak out the freon or whatever?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

WhY do you mean vent to atmosphere, what is being vented? Do I need to leak out the freon or whatever?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evoforlife
Vent to atmosphere as in releasing the freon into the envrionment which is technically illegal.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

^ I'm not really a fan of doing this, also is the a/c condenser filled with the freon?

Quick Reply: Removing a/c