Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me decide to spend money on my EVO or hold off

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me decide to spend money on my EVO or hold off

First off I'm moving 30 mins away from work about 23 miles each way.

My car is overdue for the 65k maintenance when I bought it at 72,xxx and is now at 74,xxx. The car needs a full fluid flush and the 65k maintenance, I called around and it's going to be about 1400 bux for that.

The car has a decent amount of miles already and I don't want to start putting more on without doing everything it needs. I have money to do it all, but I still don't want to add a bunch of miles back and forth to work.

A friend of mine is selling a 96 240sx black 5 speed and will give it to me for 1900 bux. I was thinking of picking it up and using it as my daily so I won't put more miles on my car and can have time to do things to the EVO slowly. I've always wanted a 240 like this also.

Based on that, what would you all do?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

You always wanted a 240 have the opportunity to buy one and need a daily driver? Do you need the reassurance? I think we both already know the answer to your question.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by mnauelg1702
You always wanted a 240 have the opportunity to buy one and need a daily driver? Do you need the reassurance? I think we both already know the answer to your question.
Just want to make sure I'm making the right choice garaging the EVO for awhile since I just recently purchased it and am still paying on it
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

hell yeah I would buy that 240 quick as long as it doesn't need alot done to it for it to be a reliable car for the daily commute.

Good luck what ever you do.

Buddy
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, find a good friend to help you with the 60k maintenance, don't **** your hard earned money away on labor. I have never changed a timing belt before, but I did my own, and it was a piece of cake. Changing the fluids is so easy, a caveman could do it. If my friend needed this help, I might charge him a little, but not the raping that you will get from your local stealership. The people that know the most about these cars are the people right here on this forum.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:08 PM

I've worked on cars a lot and when it comes to potentially messing up the timing and ruining my top end and potentially the whole motor it makes me a bit nervous ya know. Not to mention the waterpump needs to be changed and all the fluids it's a lot of work and time I don't have with work. Now if I have a beater car I can afford having the EVO down for long periods of time.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Just consider the $1900 240 sx may actually cost alot more. You have tax, registeration and insurance at the very minimum. Then you may maintenance issues on that also. I'd say get the maintenance done on the evo since you're gonna have to to it eventually anyway and don't spend the $2500 or so on the 240.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by jy951
Just consider the $1900 240 sx may actually cost alot more. You have tax, registeration and insurance at the very minimum. Then you may maintenance issues on that also. I'd say get the maintenance done on the evo since you're gonna have to to it eventually anyway and don't spend the $2500 or so on the 240.

The money can be well spent on the EVO, I just don't want to rack up miles and have it depreciate any faster then it has to. This also will give me a chance to clean it up even more and detail it like crazy...

Plus I can sell the 240 for what I paid easily if not more