Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

speed density

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:12 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So, with all this in mind, let me ask the obvious question. Since drivabiity is improved, as are other aspects of performance with no obvious drawbacks, why weren't our cars configured for SD to begin with?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its easyer to mass produce a MAF car which, inturn saves a company money, which is the name of the game lol
Old Aug 1, 2010, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
So, with all this in mind, let me ask the obvious question. Since drivabiity is improved, as are other aspects of performance with no obvious drawbacks, why weren't our cars configured for SD to begin with?

Speed-Density systems are very sensitive to temperature changes. As such, it is critical to pay close attention to temperature correction factors. This is due to changes in air density at differing ambient air temperatures

with that being said, it would be very hard to mass produce a SD car that is sold in lost of different regions. basically a car sold in maine would theoretically require a different tune then a car sold in california. that would cost a lot of money to develop all those fuel maps. that why they use MAF because it can compensate for a lot more then speed density. when mitsubishi makes these cars, they obviously arent looking to make the most power possible. they are worried about the dollar bill
Old Aug 1, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much elevation has to change before it becomes apparent? i go from around 150ft to about 3300ft elevation. in addition, humidity is drastically changed and temperatures are significantly different in certain seasons (not sure if temp/humidity affects it too?)
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:13 AM

Can you run the aem 3.5 bar map with ecuflash and run sd? I already bought the aem map and don't wanna have to buy the omni power to.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 03:43 AM
Evolving Member

yes you shold have no problems with the aem map sensor... the reson why people use the Omni is because it has the same scailing as the standard map sensor...
Old Aug 2, 2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
with that being said, it would be very hard to mass produce a SD car that is sold in lost of different regions. basically a car sold in maine would theoretically require a different tune then a car sold in california. that would cost a lot of money to develop all those fuel maps. that why they use MAF because it can compensate for a lot more then speed density. when mitsubishi makes these cars, they obviously arent looking to make the most power possible. they are worried about the dollar bill
Honda and Chrysler (among many others) use speed/density from the factory. It's not difficult to tune for temperature changes at all. SD uses the "idea gas law" to calculate air density from pressure (MAP sensor) and temperature (air temp sensor). These two values are used for the primary fuel calculation so one fuel table works for all temperatures. Of course there are warm-up related tables but MAF ecu's have those as well.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Hello all, I'm actually thinking about going Speed Density as well. I will be running a VTA BOV and I'd like a good idle. I just ordered an omni power 4 bar map sensor, is there anything else I'll need in order to go speed density?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fareastkorean
Hello all, I'm actually thinking about going Speed Density as well. I will be running a VTA BOV and I'd like a good idle. I just ordered an omni power 4 bar map sensor, is there anything else I'll need in order to go speed density?
a IAT sensor and someone to set your ecu up and tune it
Old Aug 3, 2010, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
a IAT sensor and someone to set your ecu up and tune it
I was advised that I will need a MAT sensor. So does that mean I'll need both a manifold and an intake air temp sensor?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

most people use a GM IAT sensor
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Cool. I'm assuming I can use either a GM MAT or GM IAT? I'll check into it, thanks for the info.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

You DO NOT need an IAT if you plan on setting up SD yourself. Its a good thing to have if you want your tune to change with the air temp but if you like me ( I do all my own tuning) then you can look over tune and just keep check on it through the months when the weather change. Im not 100% sure you need it still if you live in an area where the weather might stay pretty consitant. dont quote me 100% on none of this but I know I dont run an IAT and my car runs AMAZING on SD.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BoostFTW05
You DO NOT need an IAT if you plan on setting up SD yourself. Its a good thing to have if you want your tune to change with the air temp but if you like me ( I do all my own tuning) then you can look over tune and just keep check on it through the months when the weather change. Im not 100% sure you need it still if you live in an area where the weather might stay pretty consitant. dont quote me 100% on none of this but I know I dont run an IAT and my car runs AMAZING on SD.
Do you have just a MAP sensor installed with a self custom tune?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Soon as I get the new upper piping and harness i'm going SD. I already have the 4 bar, BCS just need IAT sensor and harness

Quick Reply: speed density